arryarryarry
April 23, 2020, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I don’t see why Barrow are entitled to promotion is the NL season hasn’t been completed.

I appreciate the EFL has 71 clubs but the fairest way to bring back up to 72 would be to reprieve the team who finished 23rd in the last completed L2 season (Notts County).

Promotion to the EFL is gained through winning a league or winning play-offs. Not by being top when the league was prematurely knocked on the head.

Promotion shouldn't be gained by reprieving a team that not only deserved to be relegated but has actually been relegated.

Stevenage may be reprieved if they finish bottom but until all relegations and promotions have been ratified they haven't actually been relegated even if they finish bottom.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
louth_in_the_south
April 23, 2020, 7:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
If NL season doesn’t finish I don’t see how there can be any promotion or relegation from the league. So many variables makes it impossible. All leagues should just be abandoned no matter how unfair some clubs may see it . There’s more important things than football no matter how much we love it .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
TwoLeftFeet
April 23, 2020, 7:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
If as seems likely there's no more football to be played this season think the whole season needs to be voided.. gutted as it gives Stevenage a lifeline!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
Poojah
April 23, 2020, 8:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,776
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
If as seems likely there's no more football to be played this season think the whole season needs to be voided.. gutted as it gives Stevenage a lifeline!

I’d worry about Town before worrying about Stevenage. Whilst we’re probably at the lower end of the risk scale, having been relatively stable financially in recent years and having a squad with largely furloughable salaries, I think it’s wrong to assume Town will just waltz out of this.

I don’t think it’s necessarily pessimistic to consider that we may be 18 months or more away from staging games with spectators in attendance. How the hell are we, or any other club - particularly those that have taken major financial risks (I’m looking at you, Scunny) - meant to trade through that?

I am of the opinion now that English football will look drastically different once all the dust has settled.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
TwoLeftFeet
April 23, 2020, 9:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Completely agree with that Poojah, I can't see how any lower league football can be played without gate money to pay for it.

Think the football league may well look very different the other side of this as you say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
toontown
April 23, 2020, 9:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
I find it odd stories are being written about who town will re-sign in July etc. I would not be surprised if all players not contracted will be let go to conserve money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
toontown
April 23, 2020, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
As for the season  itself if it isn't completed and we are still some way off things being settled it should probably be voided. The only precedent is the second world war and that's what happened then. In future they can create rules for what should happen in such a situation so everyone agrees in advance and it's fair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Abdul19
April 23, 2020, 10:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
It's a lot easier to void a season when it's only 3 games old though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Poojah
April 23, 2020, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,776
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from toontown
I find it odd stories are being written about who town will re-sign in July etc. I would not be surprised if all players not contracted will be let go to conserve money.

There will be League One and Two players working in supermarkets in the very near future. I imagine May / June is a worrying time for many players when they’re reaching the end of their contract, but now must be something else.

I can’t see how Town can offer to extend any player’s contract beyond the end of June as we stand. If furlough remains a medium-term option (and I wince when I think of the long-term austerity it will cause if it does, necessary though it may be), I’m not sure it would allow for the extension of a fixed-term contract.

As for signing anyone new, that won’t be happening for a long, long time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
arryarryarry
April 24, 2020, 2:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from toontown
As for the season  itself if it isn't completed and we are still some way off things being settled it should probably be voided. The only precedent is the second world war and that's what happened then. In future they can create rules for what should happen in such a situation so everyone agrees in advance and it's fair

Can't they create rules whenever they want if the chairmen vote for them?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The National League Is Over

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.