Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 153 Guests

Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams

This thread currently has 7,058 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
June 6, 2020, 6:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from ginnywings
Rangers proposing B teams in Scotland, already with backing from Celtic. They are using the "helping vulnerable teams" reasoning to put this idea forward, offering financial incentives.

I fear something similar will appear in England soon enough.

I find it disgraceful that the big clubs are trying this on and exploiting the current situation.

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as a Premier League club. I tried to explain this, and the whole idea of promotion and relegation, to an American once, as she was shocked that i did not support “a Premier League team”. There is no such thing - it just so happens that my team, along with 70 others, has the goal of getting there one day.

People forget that Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City have spent time out of the top flight. What a shame that money has probably guaranteed this may never happen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
aldi_01
June 6, 2020, 7:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This has been my fear all along. This current climate is certainly gonna be seen as an opportunity to push this agenda once more.

Only 6 teams have spent every season in the premier league. The reason our league system works is because of promotion/relegation. I guess you could argue that if it were like the NFL and unless you go bankrupt there is no promotion, that could stop teams like Derby etc spending as much as top flight clubs to constantly try and get there...but then that just makes it boring I guess.

Aside from a few clubs, we already have a large amount of teams that are unsustainable and live on a financial knife edge, including tip fight teams. I’m not sure having a B team makes them anymore sustainable. Perhaps a simpler way is to look at how many players can be signed for any one club. This may mean less people receive professional contracts but so be it.

It’s bizarre, the whole B team thing just doesn’t make any sense. They’ve had them on the continent for years but that doesn’t mean it’s improved the game or anything like that. A quick google search indicates that Barcelona B average 1600 for home games, as opposed to the actual Barcelona team who average 70’000 plus...so there’s clearly little interest and it’s not as if they’re picking up fans that can’t get tickets. Is that what the folk here are expecting? It’s not like Messi goes to play for them when he’s coming back from injury, they’re an actual team in a league, not a reserve team.

I just can’t see the reason to add even more teams to an already compact and large pyramid with professional clubs, many with financial difficulties or in large debt.

Naturally the EFL will think it’s a financial opportunity, clubs will think it’ll attract more fans and so forth. As our own club initially thought...then nobody turned up or was arsed they changed their tune.

Some people might argue different but I just can’t see any reason for the implementation of B teams ever. They’d actually do better residing the profile of the under 23s premier league if they’re that arsed.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
ginnywings
June 6, 2020, 9:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
arryarryarry
June 6, 2020, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
If all the Premiership teams wanted a 'B' team, where would they all go? In a new League 3 or replace current League 2 teams.

If they were to replace current League 2 teams who on here would go, as it would no longer be 'my team' I wouldn't bother going and if it gets the same reaction as the EFL Trophy then I doubt many would go.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
louth_in_the_south
June 6, 2020, 10:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,710
Gold Stars: 96
I’ve said before on another thread on this subject ( and got a load of red x’s !! ) that if the EFL voted to let B teams in L2 I wouldn’t go to another game . End of .

I get the impression that our new chairman is sensible enough not to vote in favour of this btw .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
mimma
June 6, 2020, 11:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Do not need a salary cap, just more sever punishment for any team that cannot pay its way.
if a club like Macclesfield cannot pay their players, it's because they are spending above their means, end of. If they can face expulsion for not being able to pay their players, then they would think twice about overspending. That's how business works, so why noy football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
Zmariner
June 7, 2020, 12:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
B teams would not interest me and so I would not continue with a season ticket and miss the B team games. I fear that a lot would feel like this as well and so not a healthy position.
The salary cap seems to make sense now. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
Boris Johnson
June 7, 2020, 2:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Still dont think  B teams will ever happen, well i hope not anyway.  Would destroy the fabric of the game at lower league level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
toontown
June 7, 2020, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
B teams would be the end of English football as we know it and would end lots of fans involvement. I don't think even league 2 club chairmen would be stupid enough to vote for something that is so counterproductive. Lots of teams would then find themselves expelled from the league to make room for them for a start
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.