Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad coming together nicely..... whats missing
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 144 Guests

Squad coming together nicely..... whats missing

This thread currently has 4,942 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
August 13, 2020, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
Four excellent signings so far and all at good ages.
3 hungry players under 24 with a real leader at the back at 33.

If what Holloway said is correct and rumour of his name is true, then  it looks like Touray Sisay is set to sign soon and that could well end our search for attacking players.

But whats left to come. An experienced rock in midfield?, a quality left back?

What do we feel is still needed and how many more signings are we short?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
August 13, 2020, 8:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Think we need to replace Glennon if we don't him back on loan, plus maybe a decent, experienced holding midfielder. That would just about do me for now, but on a side note, anyone figured out where Greens gonna fit in this season??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 13, 2020, 8:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 122
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
but on a side note, anyone figured out where Greens gonna fit in this season??

I hear he is looking for a sponsor for his seat in the dugout.

In Ollie's last interview he said 4 deals had been signed......and we have now got 4 new players.

But no sign of Sisay
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Rodley Mariner
August 13, 2020, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Feels like a main man for the centre of midfield is the biggest requirement for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2020, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Experience in centre mid plus Glennon and Benson and we’re nearly there. That said Ollie reckoned he had room for ten and I can’t think that some of the new lads will be on big bucks.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Stew0_0
August 13, 2020, 8:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
Seems like we are looking to setup with a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-2-3 formation as see us with Gibson and Jackson Jnr as wide forwards so maybe a tough holding midfielder with 2 others in there with Williams/Tilley and another new face? Perhaps Clifton and Wright having an impact from the bench.
Left back is a must though still and would love it to be Glennon back.
Shaping up to be an exciting season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
pontoonlew
August 14, 2020, 6:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Think we need to replace Glennon if we don't him back on loan, plus maybe a decent, experienced holding midfielder. That would just about do me for now, but on a side note, anyone figured out where Greens gonna fit in this season??

We’re going to need more than 2 more players. We need a LB, a couple of CM’s, a ‘utility’ type and probably another wide option.

I’d imagine we’ll get 3 loanees in at least to cut costs as well as maybe a couple more perms.

It’s great that we’ve brought in some unproven types but you cannot build an entire squad round that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 14, 2020, 6:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
2 rumours that did the rounds were a young lad from Man Utd and Charlie Adam.

Haven’t heard anything else about it so am guessing they were only ‘rumours’

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2020, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
We definitely need at least 1 LB, Glennon would be ideal but it probably won't happen.

I would like to see a tough tackling box to box midfielder who has been around a bit, another big lad up front because Green wins nothing in the air and Hanson won't play every game. We need a couple of utility players and probably another CB if we are playing 3 at the back.

That would still leave our midfield a bit light though. Holloway has put a call into Burnley so I expect us to get at least a player from them, but probably not the 2 we had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
quebec38
August 14, 2020, 9:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I am going to attempt to put together a list of what we have in order to work out what we might need. Football has taken a bit of a backseat the last few months so I’m not certain who is still with us and who isn’t but anyway, here goes.
Also, obviously some players positions are subjective so let’s just go with it. Players aren’t in any order of ability either.

Goalkeepers
Mckeown
Battersby
Russell

Defenders
Full backs
Hendrie

Central
Mohsni
Waterfall
Ohman
Pollock

Midfielders
Hewitt
Clifton
Williams

Attackers
Wide
Wright
Tilley

Central
Hanson
Green
Gibson
Jackson Jr

I think that’s everyone. I’ve not included the likes of Curran or Starbuck as I still don’t expect them to do much for us in the coming season but I may be wrong.
So looking at that I’d say we’re sorted in goal, central defence and centre forwards. I’m not sure whether Jackson Jr or Gibson are forwards that might be utilised wide in a 3 like Green in the past.
I’m guessing Williams was signed as a starter, Ollie seems to like Hewitt in there and then we’ll need at least 1 but hopefully 2 more in central midfield if we’re going with 3 in there like last season.
I’d like to see at least 1 more winger type and probably 2 more full backs added as well.
Ideally see 5 or 6 more coming in then. No loan deals done yet so I think that could be a realistic number.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2020, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from quebec38
I am going to attempt to put together a list of what we have in order to work out what we might need. Football has taken a bit of a backseat the last few months so I’m not certain who is still with us and who isn’t but anyway, here goes.
Also, obviously some players positions are subjective so let’s just go with it. Players aren’t in any order of ability either.

Goalkeepers
Mckeown
Battersby
Russell

Defenders
Full backs
Hendrie

Central
Mohsni
Waterfall
Ohman
Pollock

Midfielders
Hewitt
Clifton
Williams

Attackers
Wide
Wright
Tilley

Central
Hanson
Green
Gibson
Jackson Jr

I think that’s everyone. I’ve not included the likes of Curran or Starbuck as I still don’t expect them to do much for us in the coming season but I may be wrong.
So looking at that I’d say we’re sorted in goal, central defence and centre forwards. I’m not sure whether Jackson Jr or Gibson are forwards that might be utilised wide in a 3 like Green in the past.
I’m guessing Williams was signed as a starter, Ollie seems to like Hewitt in there and then we’ll need at least 1 but hopefully 2 more in central midfield if we’re going with 3 in there like last season.
I’d like to see at least 1 more winger type and probably 2 more full backs added as well.
Ideally see 5 or 6 more coming in then. No loan deals done yet so I think that could be a realistic number.

He has spoken about wanting 3 at the back so that makes central defence a bit light. I would like to see someone come into that central defence with a bit of pace.

5 or 6 is about right though. I would expect no more than 3 permanent signings with the others utilising the loan market.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
August 14, 2020, 10:36am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I would like to see a tough tackling box to box midfielder who has been around a bit

I wonder if Hewitt is being primed for this role, hence his running work and weightloss.
Reply: 11 - 24
Boris Johnson
August 14, 2020, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Any signing from a league below is a bit of a risk.  I dont doubt the enthusiasm, and Im sure Ollie knows what he is doing.

Big step ups for these lads...

Tom Bolarinwa an example of someone who didnt quite make it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
chipsandgravy
August 14, 2020, 11:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Its crying shame we couldnt keep hold of Hess. Would have looked tasty William's and Hess in the midfield. Onwards and upwards though and fingers crossed for Benson and Glennon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Boris Johnson
August 14, 2020, 11:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Its crying shame we couldnt keep hold of Hess. Would have looked tasty William's and Hess in the midfield. Onwards and upwards though and fingers crossed for Benson and Glennon.

The signing of Williams suggests to me, that Hess wouldnt have featured anyway

queue a rush of people extolling the virtue of Hess and his ability 10 yards in front of our own defenders.......utter garbage, thank intercourse he is no longer here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2020, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140381

I wonder if Hewitt is being primed for this role, hence his running work and weightloss.

Thought that too but with only Hendrie at RB, Hewitt suffers by being a jack of all trades.

Hewitt in CM wouldn't be a bad bet, he has height too which is handy in both boxes and for winning aerial battles in the middle of the park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
chipsandgravy
August 14, 2020, 11:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Boris Johnson

queue a rush of people extolling the virtue of Hess and his ability 10 yards in front of our own defenders.......utter garbage, thank intercourse he is no longer here.

It must be so tiring keeping up that level of cynicism. It is for us anyway!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
MuddyWaters
August 14, 2020, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Boris Johnson

I'd personally love to see a central midfield three of Williams, Benson and Hess sitting.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
monkeyboy
August 14, 2020, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Ive got a feeling Glennon is coming back, not sure why but i dont think Ollie wouldnt be talking about it otherwise.

Think we will see glennon come in again and that covers left back with Hewit being cover for him and Hendrie.

if we are playing 3 central defenders then a assume we are going with 2 wing backs.  We have a wealth of people that can play on the wing with Tilley, max,Gibson, Jackson and Williams but how many can play wing back?

I think Green will struggle to get games this season and be bit part.

Heres how i potentially see it at the moment

Macca

Ohman      Bilal     Waterfall

Hewit                                                                                      Hendrie

Clifton   Williams

Gibson                                                 Jackson
                                                        Hanson

With not knowing the new ones its hard to tell but looks like we do definatly need a left wingback and 2 central mids
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
sonofmadeleymariner
August 14, 2020, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
I would expect at least one more midfielder if not two, probably one of those being a loan player. Obviously theres a need for a left back, would be pleased if Glennon came back on loan and then maybe another wingback left or right as Hendire can always cover the left if need be.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
acko338
August 14, 2020, 4:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
All of the squad once formed will know Ollie's expectations of no less than 100% effort.

His budget is set so he has gone looking for bargain buys, two footed kicking multi position players to mske the most out of funds.

A mix of enthusiastic younger players, a couple of more experienced but "take a risk" players, and hoping for his 1st choice of loans to come to fruition.

His experience of getting the best out of players will be invaluable in making everything come together, but he needs time after the huge cull that had to be made for the squad to be 100% effective.

I look forward to the roller coaster ride as this new season unfolds in quite weird circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
forza ivano
August 14, 2020, 4:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Think you could probably include at least Starbuck in the squad, was regularly on the bench and played in the Mickey Mouse cup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
HertsGTFC
August 14, 2020, 6:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Left back (Glennon type)

Another full back to cover

Experienced mid

Ball playing younger mid (Benson/Embelton level)

Ideally I’d like Benson and Glennon but I can’t see it.

Other than Pollock I reckon our CB’s all have a sending off or two in them so a utility defender may be required.

I think it’s coming together nicely though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Madeleymariner
August 15, 2020, 11:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
I would like to think we could get a centre def with a bit of pace, even if he is not a world beater in the air.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Son of Cod
August 15, 2020, 12:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Left back (Glennon type)

Another full back to cover

Experienced mid

Ball playing younger mid (Benson/Embelton level)

Ideally I’d like Benson and Glennon but I can’t see it.

Other than Pollock I reckon our CB’s all have a sending off or two in them so a utility defender may be required.

I think it’s coming together nicely though.

Can't argue with any of that. Lost a bit of flexibility in terms of defence cover with Harry Davis leaving as there was always the option of him at RB and Hendrie at LB when needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad coming together nicely..... whats missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.