Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield Towns new training and conference centre
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 158 Guests

Mansfield Towns new training and conference centre

This thread currently has 4,852 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
August 14, 2020, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Talking about our training facilities on another thread reminded me that Mansfield have got a new training centre away from Field Mill or whatever it is called these days.

Based on the assumption we are never going to get a new ground, or if we ever did it would be a bog standard off the peg job as alluded to by the chairman at the last forum, would it be better to go down that route for the Mariners?

Apparently it cost a more modest 2.5 million pounds, some of which was grant funded.

Players spend their working week at the training centre, so would be a good benefit to sell to new recruits.

The Mansfield facility is community based, has conference facilities and will be used 7 days a week by the people of Mansfield.

If we did a similar thing, and improved BP over time with the aid of grants and some new investment, would it be a solution? We are unlikely to ever raise 25/30 million for a new stadium of any note, so a new state of the art training centre to bring money in 7 days a week seems a decent idea, especially if it is predicated on BP being gradually rebuilt over a 25 year period.

Many grounds are situated in residential areas so we would have to have clever solutions to the parking problems but it seems pointless chasing a dream that will never materialise in the shape of a new community stadium.  
Private Message
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2020, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Plenty of businesses less than a mile away that could open their car parks every other Saturday. Redeveloping BP seems to get shot down but I don't know why it can't be considered?

Extend the Findus to span the full length of the pitch and that will give us additional capacity whilst rebuilding the Main and Osmond stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
promotion plaice
August 14, 2020, 1:34pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Must admit I'm sick of hearing about the new stadium that is never going to happen, we will never find the money needed unfortunately.

As has been pointed out you can generate your income streams away from Blundell Park.

I'm now all for redeveloping BP with grants in stages when the money is available.

At least I'll still be able to watch the ships in the estuary if the game is crap.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
grimsby pete
August 14, 2020, 2:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,835
Gold Stars: 222
They say we need a 7 day income coming in so how about this.

Build a modern training centre with gym and medical room I have no idea if this can be done at cheapside  or we will have to find another site. Included in this building will be conference rooms with bar facilities that can be hired 7 days a week.

Regarding Blundell Park extend the Findus  to each corner extend the pontoon and rebuild the main stand with modern changing rooms.

The Osmond is good enough for the away and so just a coat of paint will do.

Add this all up and should come to less than a new stadium.

Regarding parking surely we could find a park and ride somewhere in the town.

Just a thought.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
aldi_01
August 14, 2020, 3:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We got a new portacabin and it even has a window, what more do you want? I mean investing in resources for your most valuable asset is a waste...bloody same without those pesky fitness coaches...

There’s zero chance of BP ever being redeveloped or having money spent on it, I know, you know it and most of all, the club have pretty much said as much.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2020, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
They say we need a 7 day income coming in so how about this.

Build a modern training centre with gym and medical room I have no idea if this can be done at cheapside  or we will have to find another site. Included in this building will be conference rooms with bar facilities that can be hired 7 days a week.

Regarding Blundell Park extend the Findus  to each corner extend the pontoon and rebuild the main stand with modern changing rooms.

The Osmond is good enough for the away and so just a coat of paint will do.

Add this all up and should come to less than a new stadium.

Regarding parking surely we could find a park and ride somewhere in the town.

Just a thought.

Don't think we need a park and ride to be honest Pete. You've got a reasonable car park where Ramsdens Toy Store used to be and then a few of the businesses around Orwell Street with enough spaces to make it worthwhile. I'm sure you can walk over the bridge on Humber Street and that leads to Young's which again, is more space. All within a 15 minute walk of BP.

If all of that is utilised, you still have the local streets to park in too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
WetFlannel
August 15, 2020, 5:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
No chance we’d get planning permission to upgrade BP regardless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
moosey_club
August 15, 2020, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Redeveloping is dearer than new build, includes some form of demolition, working in restricted areas surrounding by private dwellings gives access headaches/working hours restrictions, problems with piling so close to private dwellings, space limitations and whatever you are redeveloping would be effected so maybe lose income whilst you develop a stand at a time and all that just equals a costlier rate of construction over and above a wide open clean slate.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
August 15, 2020, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club
Redeveloping is dearer than new build, includes some form of demolition, working in restricted areas surrounding by private dwellings gives access headaches/working hours restrictions, problems with piling so close to private dwellings, space limitations and whatever you are redeveloping would be effected so maybe lose income whilst you develop a stand at a time and all that just equals a costlier rate of construction over and above a wide open clean slate.

I think most of us appreciate that but we are talking about possible alternatives to a new "clean slate" stadium costing many more millions than we could ever afford.

We would all like an all singing all dancing brand new stylised stadium with training complex and conference facilities but it is just a dream.

Redeveloping stadia is done all the time so it cant be that difficult.  I dont remember too many difficulties when we replaced the Barrett stand.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
jamesgtfc
August 15, 2020, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Redevelopment, regeneration. It's all the same.

Isn't our majority shareholder also involved in regeneration as a councillor?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield Towns new training and conference centre

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.