3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
August 15, 2020, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
I dont think there was a midfielder in League Two who was better than Hess at hassling, breaking up play, disrupting the opposition. He always stood out for that , his passing game was limited but leaves a big hole in the other respect.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
hheh2
August 15, 2020, 7:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Such a bloody shame thinking about it the fact that we released Hessenthaler, would of been amazing to have kept him for 20/21. Im sure he would have stayed if things werent like they were. Look he prob sign for lg1 club by now

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Boris Johnson
August 16, 2020, 5:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Hess isnt a Holloway type player, not in the least surprised he was released.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
louth_in_the_south
August 16, 2020, 7:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from AussieMariner

Agree - he also played 181 times for L1 Gillingham over 5 years before he joined us.

L1 Gillingham.. giants of English football .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
louth_in_the_south
August 16, 2020, 7:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from rancido

I would hardly describe a 26 year old footballer who has only been signed by 3 clubs as a "journeyman", especially as the first of those clubs, Chelsea, was where he developed through their youth system.

Ok maybe that’s not the most accurate description but you know what I mean . He’ll probably rack up about another 5 clubs in the lower / non leagues before he’s done and will qualify however

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Tommy
August 16, 2020, 9:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Ok maybe that’s not the most accurate description but you know what I mean . He’ll probably rack up about another 5 clubs in the lower / non leagues before he’s done and will qualify however

Won't most lower league footballers nowadays though?

It's not like 20 years ago where players would stay at clubs for longer. These days players are lucky if they get 2 or 3 years at the same club. And on the standard "journeyman" scale, you could call most players in L1/L2 a journeyman.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
rancido
August 16, 2020, 11:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,652
Gold Stars: 101

L1 Gillingham.. giants of English football .

Maybe but remind me what level we play at and how long is it since we played in L1?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
diehardmariner
August 17, 2020, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Back to the original question, I don't really see any harm in comparing two players.  It's not as if we've got a glut of friendlies to over analyse at the minute is it...

I'm very much in the 'different type of players' camp, albeit that's from a quite limited knowledge of Williams.  In fact any knowledge I have of him is based on YouTube showreels.  But you can only go on what you know and from what I have seen/read from FGR fans, he's the complete opposite of Hessenthaler.

I dare say that since peak Disley, with very brief spells of having Jon Nolan and Jamey Osborne, we've not really had a midfield capable of driving forward from the middle of the park and making things happen.  Midfielders with that attribute are like rocking horse excrement at this level.  If we've got one, in my opinion, it's a potential game changer at this level.

That all said, it's all about balance at any level.  Whereas in previous years we've always had very similar midfielders, lads who will run all day and get stuck in, the lack of quality and creativity (also goals) is evident.  A successful midfield will always need someone who is prepared to do the dirty stuff and allow the better players to be effective further upfield.  For example, someone like Hess would have been perfect to that breaking up, stopping sides play and winning possession back - which in turn allows someone like Williams to concentrate his energy on being more attacking, creating chances and/or scoring goals.

I really liked Hess, I thought there was a period where he was absolutely peerless at what he did when he sat in front of that back four.  It's just a shame that it was largely wasted because he never had anyone alongside him capable of unpicking an opposition defence.  When Limbrick moved him further forward he wasn't anywhere near as effective and both his and our game suffered as a result.   If Hess did return, I wouldn't be in any way disappointed as I think he would compliment any team in this division.  But I genuinely think Holloway believes he can get better.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Garth
August 17, 2020, 12:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
A player who’s played for Wales  at a major finals or a lower league journeyman . That’s a difficult one .

Or a proven favourite player v risk of one that might or might not turn out ok, yes agree its difficult
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Boris Johnson
August 17, 2020, 12:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Quoted from Garth

Or a proven favourite player v risk of one that might or might not turn out ok, yes agree its difficult

favourite? Not in my book.....not going up with players like Hessentahler
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hess or George. T

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.