Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 'The Project'.....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 133 Guests

'The Project'.....

This thread currently has 9,123 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
August 28, 2020, 10:41am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Heisenberg

It doesn't attract new fans either.  Lincoln found 4,000 new fans from nowhere, who'd never been to Sincil Bank before, yet we are gonna be lucky to hold on to the 4,000 who've been loyal all these years.  

You talk like it's easy to do. There are hardly any other clubs that just double their support out of nowhere. Lincoln were in the national media almost every week when their support suddenly increased, plus they had a feel good factor of dominating the league. We didn't even get as many fans as they do when we were in the second tier and pushing for the play offs around 1999.

Nice to dream that it's that easy, but even success on the field didn't bring fans through the gate and chucking cash at it with the hope that some more people might come in and fill that financial gap is a terrible idea considering our support history over the last 30 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
sam gy
August 28, 2020, 12:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Lincoln had a brilliant cup run and won their league, they've also got a fairly popular uni and while i don't know for sure, i imagine they managed to entice students in too. Either way they've probably got a bunch of young un's now hooked for life.

Meanwhile, we've been drab on the pitch and given a shirt to Nigel Farage and a bobble hat to Boris Johnson. That'll get the kids in!  

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
promotion plaice
August 28, 2020, 1:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 201

This is not a dig, I'm sure the club and Ollie are doing their best but jeez it's gone quiet.

No friendlies as such to stream or listen to and no rumours about potential signings.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
oochiad
August 28, 2020, 2:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Ambition Aldi is getting IH in, the rest will follow with patience in this difficult time. UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Bigdog
August 28, 2020, 2:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

You talk like it's easy to do. There are hardly any other clubs that just double their support out of nowhere. Lincoln were in the national media almost every week when their support suddenly increased, plus they had a feel good factor of dominating the league. We didn't even get as many fans as they do when we were in the second tier and pushing for the play offs around 1999.

Nice to dream that it's that easy, but even success on the field didn't bring fans through the gate and chucking cash at it with the hope that some more people might come in and fill that financial gap is a terrible idea considering our support history over the last 30 years

We can't keep using misleading information about home attendances fron the late 80s and 90s to back up the argument of our club being destined in the future to be what it is now. That era showed a massive drop in attendances for pretty much every football club. Football went through a massive attendance depression in that time but most clubs fought their way out of it with projects to improve the product. Chelsea getting way less than 20k at home, Sheff Utd below 10k being just two examples. Haven't been posting for a while but have read incredulously so many posts of fans fighting for the justification of the club they love to be wallowing in the very depths of the EFL, just above non-league. Excuse after excuse, season after season, decade after decade. What the hell is wrong with you people? It's like you're either too accustomed to wallowing in your own excrement or actually enjoy it. The only thing holding our sickly club together is the hope that IH can work some kind of miracle without having any tools to use. There isn't a project, there never has been, it's been just two words, "football fortune", which is surviving hoping some luck comes our way. Pretty depressing and I used to admire fans on here who have tried to keep positive, but have realised all along they're just loyally delusional and hold the club back as much as the incumbents. Read the other day that someone predicted us to be their surprise package in League Two this season. Ninth, they had us at ninth. Grimsby Town FC the surprise package of League Two at ninth. He's delusional too. Not for calling us a surprise package.. just no way are we going to finish that high. It's depressing being a Town fan and there's nothing more depressing than seeing the majority of the hardcore making excuses for abject mediocrity including using misleading attendance statistics to back and prolong our miserable failure to progress..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2020, 2:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from promotion plaice

This is not a dig, I'm sure the club and Ollie are doing their best but jeez it's gone quiet.

No friendlies as such to stream or listen to and no rumours about potential signings.

What a frustrating week this has been all round. Finishing the week without one bit of player news or any kind of update is quite incredible really given our first game in anger is next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
forza ivano
August 28, 2020, 3:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from chipsandgravy

What a frustrating week this has been all round. Finishing the week without one bit of player news or any kind of update is quite incredible really given our first game in anger is next week.

I suspect that we may see a raft of signings next thursday/ friday. By leaving it till the last minute they are saving as much money as they possibly can.if its 6 new signings then I guesstimate that they will have saved c.£7.5k  per week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
Heisenberg
August 28, 2020, 3:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from pen penfras

Nice to dream that it's that easy, but even success on the field didn't bring fans through the gate and chucking cash at it with the hope that some more people might come in and fill that financial gap is a terrible idea considering our support history over the last 30 years.

There's no way I think it's easy, I wasn't trying to say that.  But without investment, and, in our case, a new stadium, we'll not have the Lincoln effect.

I know Sincil Bank isn't new, but the cup run and winning the conference title did it for them.  For us, it would take something similar AND a new stadium, I suspect.  There's plenty of local football fans (not necessarily ardent Mariners) who won't step foot inside Blundell Park, because it's a dump.  Whilst that isn't a good enough reason, in my opinion, it is also my opinion that it is indeed a dump.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2020, 3:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from forza ivano

I suspect that we may see a raft of signings next thursday/ friday. By leaving it till the last minute they are saving as much money as they possibly can.if its 6 new signings then I guesstimate that they will have saved c.£7.5k  per week

Yes I suspect your right. Wouldn't mind a ruddy rumour just for interest though!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
MuddyWaters
August 28, 2020, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano

It’s ok saving £7500 but how much do we get for winning in the 1st round of Carabao?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 'The Project'.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.