5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
dicko995
August 19, 2020, 5:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
Ollie has slammed the amount of games to be played over the first several weeks, saying that playing saturday and tuesdays is way too much for players. I'm probably on my own here, but to work for 3 hours a week playing 2 games isnt exactly rocket science to me, and getting paid a full weeks wage for that. I admit they do a few hours more training, but i cant get it into my head that its similar in Premiership where Klopp and others moan that its too much for their players too for too many games in a week. 2 games= 180 minutes,3 bloody hours. I understand that a footballers career can be short, but its their career choice, and know what the outcome is. Maybe im missing something here, ive worked all my life, and sometimes doing 60 hours a week, and now at 65+, am looking forward to my state pension come next january. All i can say is.... Man up guys, 3 hours of sweat isnt a lot to ask for each week, well, for 7 weeks. I lost the interest of players when agents got involved. In my earlier days, the Club owned the players and they earnt their weekly wage, its now easy for them to be protected. End of rant, send me the red crosses, but you know im right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 19, 2020, 5:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It’s the same for everyone so it’s not unfair is it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
Hagrid
August 19, 2020, 5:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Mohsni and the 3 new lads behind on fitness he also said. And hanson injured
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Mighty_Mariner
August 19, 2020, 5:37pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,244
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from dicko995
Ollie has slammed the amount of games to be played over the first several weeks, saying that playing saturday and tuesdays is way too much for players. I'm probably on my own here, but to work for 3 hours a week playing 2 games isnt exactly rocket science to me, and getting paid a full weeks wage for that. I admit they do a few hours more training, but i cant get it into my head that its similar in Premiership where Klopp and others moan that its too much for their players too for too many games in a week. 2 games= 180 minutes,3 bloody hours. I understand that a footballers career can be short, but its their career choice, and know what the outcome is. Maybe im missing something here, ive worked all my life, and sometimes doing 60 hours a week, and now at 65+, am looking forward to my state pension come next january. All i can say is.... Man up guys, 3 hours of sweat isnt a lot to ask for each week, well, for 7 weeks. I lost the interest of players when agents got involved. In my earlier days, the Club owned the players and they earnt their weekly wage, its now easy for them to be protected. End of rant, send me the red crosses, but you know im right.

I do understand what you're saying but the human body will only withstand so much before performance starts to deteriorate rapidly. Playing 90 minutes of football is an intense physical effort and would needs adequate recover time in between to maximise performance... Playing the odd Saturday/Tuesday is fine but for several weeks in a row, without the luxury of a large squad to rotate will inevitably have a detrimental impact on both fitness and performance.

However, everyone is in the same boat I suppose and the salary cap will hopefully prevent those with the luxury of carrying overly large squads from having an advantage.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
aldi_01
August 19, 2020, 5:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I suspect the phrase “Hanson injured” will be one we’ve heard for much of the season.

I understand what Holloway is saying but it’s no different for anyone so surely you adjust your training methods etc to fit...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
grimsby pete
August 19, 2020, 6:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I used to play twice in two days when I was young and I did that without training .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
Sandford1981
August 19, 2020, 6:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Damned either way.

If a manager or player raises fatigue issues and playing too much, we, as ‘normal’ workers get on our high horses and slate them as pampered prima donnas and they don’t know they’re born.

Then the players play too much and subsequently their performances deteriorate due to tiredness and playing through niggles, or worse still they get a serious injury. We then moan that players aren’t at the level we require them to be or are sat in the treatment room picking up a wage for nothing.

Either way this is a scenario in which the gaffer earns his money by ‘managing’ the squad and each game accordingly. Hopefully this is when having Ollie at the helm proves the difference between us and our rivals over the course of the season.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
Kris2
August 19, 2020, 6:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Football is very different to ye olde days, there is a much higher athletic requirement at league levels with much more intensive training than back in the 1950's or whenever a bunch of you started watching Town. It's not a run about in a muddy field and then down to the pub for a few pints anymore (except maybe when Newell was in charge!).

Increasing games in a shorter period limits rest time and puts more pressure on the body which equals injuries. It's going to be tough starting the season as it is. Comparing your 40 years working at Tesco or whatever to being a pro footballer just sounds funny. Careers are short for a reason and often end even earlier due to severe injuries.

Bunch of pessimistic old farts on here who complain about everything.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
hheh2
August 19, 2020, 6:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
You obviously don't play football, two games a week is flipping absured and flipping ridiculous at a high level.

We know why it is but don't assert that they are league two players they should just get on with it, they will. But two 90 minutes of war a week for a month or more is stupid.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Heisenberg
August 19, 2020, 6:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from aldi_01
I suspect the phrase “Hanson injured” will be one we’ve heard for much of the season.

I understand what Holloway is saying but it’s no different for anyone so surely you adjust your training methods etc to fit...

Hanson injured already! That must suggest that purely training has done him in, which does not bode well. The sad fact is, players of his age are largely past it nowadays, and can’t be relied upon to play every week, let alone twice a week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollie says 'Absolutely Rediculous'

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.