Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crap iFollow Stream - is it worth it?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot, Mappers and 158 Guests

Crap iFollow Stream - is it worth it?

This thread currently has 9,688 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
September 8, 2020, 6:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So what people are saying is, iFollow is shite, it costs money and for some folk it looks like it’s recorded on a potato.

You can argue the intricacies but given this is celery the route they want folk to watch football you’d expect better. The company supplying it and so forth clearly knew but have seemingly done little in the time they’ve had to try and improve it.

Plenty of us are quick to have a dig at the club but I can imagine when they saw the quality they probably just put their head in their hands...the inconsistency in quality is naturally a concern, thankfully they promise it’ll be improved for tonight. A game in a competition that’s pointless...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
pen penfras
September 8, 2020, 8:01am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Chrisblor
The quality issues have nothing to do with the camera being used to film the match. As you can see from the highlights here, the footage is in HD quality and far better than what iFollow served up on Saturday -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s0HInHPwHM

This leads me to believe that at some point during the process of taking the footage from the camera, encoding it, sending it off to iFollow and then streaming it to viewers, someone won't have set something up correctly.

iFollow claim to offer a 720p stream, so it's possible that since the quality when you set the stream to 720p isn't anything like that then there's some kind of encoding / stream quality intercourse-up on town's end, between the camera and sending the footage to iFollow (not sure if they use the internet or a separate satellite link-up for this process). It's also possible i'm completely mistaken on this and town are submitting the footage to iFollow at an appropriately high bitrate. In that case some clown at iFollow has compressed the stream quality on their end meaning we end up with disappointingly poor and blurry footage.

In either case it's an issue that can easily be resolved with some minor tweaking. iFollow is run by Endeavour Streaming (https://www.endeavorstreaming.com/) who are reponsible for managing live streaming of many other sports leagues (NFL, NBA, UFC) at much higher quality with no issue, so they definitely have the bandwith to offer a fully HD stream. You just need someone with the technical know-how at iFollow or the club to look into what is causing the problem. Will this actually happen? I doubt it!

Weirdly, that highlights quality is a lot worse for me than the match was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
Poojah
September 8, 2020, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,775
Gold Stars: 1,515
I have a season pass for iFollow as I have done the past few seasons. Couldn’t watch the game on Saturday as apparently the Carabou Cup wasn’t included.

Tonight’s game is however and at the moment you can watch the warm-up and the picture looks crystal clear on my phone; better than last season arguably. I don’t know whether it’s a bandwidth issue and the picture degrades when usage is high, but I’ve never had much issue with it really.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
Tinymariner
September 8, 2020, 7:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I’m watching it on a 65” tv and the quality is HD, 100% improvement on Saturday’s service.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
Grantham_Mariner
September 8, 2020, 7:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Yes but they have lost Humberside cement at moment. It was on earlier!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Tinymariner
September 8, 2020, 8:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Started off decent quality but got progressively worse, lots of buffering and blurry pictures most of the time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Tinymariner
September 8, 2020, 9:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Fuming, missed both Harrogate goals due to buffering!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Stockport Mariner
September 8, 2020, 10:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
This will be my 3rd season with iFollow watching from “abroad”. I’m streaming to an iPad via a VPN and I’ve never had any problems with the steam and it’s always good quality picture. Vastly improved last season when they synced up with Humberside commentary and started showing replays.
Renewal was €160 this season, a big jump on last season when it was about €120 I think, but I think they are streaming more matches this season with the cup games. Seem to think it was only league matches last season. You get the odd technical glitch but overall I’m happy to renew each season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
September 9, 2020, 8:59am
Guest User
Much better quality picture tonight, no buffering for me, was well worth the £10.
Reply: 48 - 54
pen penfras
September 9, 2020, 9:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614
Much better quality picture tonight, no buffering for me, was well worth the £10.

I thought you watch it on a dodgy stream and never want to give the club your money?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crap iFollow Stream - is it worth it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.