4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
October 4, 2020, 8:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
We need a fit and playing Hanson to start with. But i dont think that will happen for more than a few games at a time   . Defenders will be clattering him from all angles knowing he gets injured easy and we have no replacement at the moment. Also i cant see any financial benifit from paying him off either. , what we could save would not get another striker in the door any where near his standard... we would probably just end up with another may be player from nonleague or under 23 player that has not played in the league.. We needed Bogle  but that seems dead and gone.. old saying is .. you can love someon all you like but if they dont love you back the same it aint gonna happen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2020, 8:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Wonder if we end up with paying up James Hanson contract either because of injury or because he can’t be bothered commuting from Bradford.

With money saved there we will have plenty of candidates from a pool of unemployed footballers some of whom will be very competent.

I would be amazed if we end up anyway near the bottom two at the end of the season.

Why would we do this? Also where has the “can’t be bothered“ bit come from?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2020, 8:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Personally, because I don't think he wants to be here!..plus if we are brutally honest, how many games is going to play, he breaks down too often and is hardly a young whipper snapper is he?.he's probably been costing us a fortune in treatments, scans physio and personal allowances. No doubt he'll claim mileage travelling from Bradford, another expense we can do without for a player who spends longer on the treatment table than on the pitch.

He can’t claim mileage as technically he’s not what the HMRC would term a remote worker and just does a daily commute which you can’t claim for.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
golfer
October 4, 2020, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Personally, because I don't think he wants to be here!..plus if we are brutally honest, how many games is going to play, he breaks down too often and is hardly a young whipper snapper is he?.he's probably been costing us a fortune in treatments, scans physio and personal allowances. No doubt he'll claim mileage travelling from Bradford, another expense we can do without for a player who spends longer on the treatment table than on the pitch.

You forgot to add in the WIN bonus payments - they'll cost us a pretty penny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
arryarryarry
October 4, 2020, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah
Can someone please explain to me how the club benefit from ‘paying up’ James Hanson’s contract?

I assume that "paying up his contract" means we will negotiate a sum lower than the total amount we would pay if he stayed here for the full season. This may free up some of the budget for a replacement especially if 1) as some have suggested he doesn't want to be here and 2) if he isn't likely to be fit to play that many games.

It may be to his benefit to accept a shortfall in his total contract if it helps him sign for someone else.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
Henryscat
October 4, 2020, 9:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He can’t claim mileage as technically he’s not what the HMRC would term a remote worker and just does a daily commute which you can’t claim for.

He can claim it off his employer (us) but can’t claim the tax relief.

I’d be very disappointed in JF if we are paying anybody travelling expenses though.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
Poojah
October 4, 2020, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from arryarryarry

I assume that "paying up his contract" means we will negotiate a sum lower than the total amount we would pay if he stayed here for the full season. This may free up some of the budget for a replacement especially if 1) as some have suggested he doesn't want to be here and 2) if he isn't likely to be fit to play that many games.

It may be to his benefit to accept a shortfall in his total contract if it helps him sign for someone else.

Well, yes, in principle that's the idea. But there has to be a negotiation, and ultimately the final decision as to whether or not to accept would be the player's. And that's an important point.

I'm speculating a bit here, but I imagine that between now and the end of June we owe Hanson somewhere in the region of £70k - £80k in basic salary (maybe a little bit less if he's working on the basis of a 25% pay reduction). He's a month shy of 33 years old and currently injured in world where lower league football is completely on its árse - how much do you think it would take for him to rip up his contract given how uncertain it is that he'll get another one anywhere else?

When fit, James Hanson is the best striker we have. For any potential saving secured by 'paying him up' (ergo paying him a large lump some to sod off), we are not going to bring in a player of equivalent quality.

And all this talk based on some notion that he doesn't want to be here? There may be truth in that, there may be not. Certainly, the club today is not the club he joined last year, but right now I suspect he's just grateful for the remaining year he has on his contract when so many players are being forced to either take huge pay cuts or out of the game entirely.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2020, 10:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Hanson brings something we’re very short of, experience.

In reality what would we replace him with? People say you can pick up free agents etc.. etc.. yeah you can but they’re free agents for a reason and according to Holloway we’ve got too many unfit players as it is.

While we’re at it let’s pay off Macca then we’ll have plenty of budget to bring better players into the geographically remote club which sits at the bottom of the EFL with no points or goals and has a 25% salary reduction policy with COVID clauses in all new contracts.

Holloway’s phone will be red hot once again I’m sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
arryarryarry
October 4, 2020, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Henryscat

He can claim it off his employer (us) but can’t claim the tax relief.

I’d be very disappointed in JF if we are paying anybody travelling expenses though.

You can't just claim home to work mileage off an employer. It would have to be an agreed allowance and in the majority of cases would be a taxable benefit.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
Northbank Mariner
October 5, 2020, 7:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from arryarryarry

You can't just claim home to work mileage off an employer. It would have to be an agreed allowance and in the majority of cases would be a taxable benefit.

On fixed term contracts(2 years for Hanson) you can claim mileage up to 1 year and 364 days after which is it the deemed a permanent place of work and you are classed as commuting at which point it can no longer be claimed. 45p a mile for the first 10k then 11p after that  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deadline Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.