5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
October 13, 2020, 11:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
For a team that had not scored before kick off our game plan was spot on and their commentators were saying we had created more chances than all the teams they'd faced so far in the 5/6 games so far, includibg Millwall.

Too many teams know/think that cheltenhams defence is solid and play negatively, especially at their own ground, but Holloway flipped that, played our 3 fittest and fastest strikers against there slow defence and both got behind them and down the sides with pace and energy. They couldnt deal with all 3 and could have been even more comfortable with a little more composure, especially from Gibson.

Our defence was a rock and the midfield workmanlike. On first glance Taylor gets the nod ahead of Morton but the latter is probably short of match fitness.

Best players for us, Pollock, will be surprised if he is still with us after January's window, Edwards, Clifton and Hendrie.
Also special mention to Ollie who won the tactical battle.

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
ginnywings
October 13, 2020, 11:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Most managers in this league go for big forwards to battle against big defenders and it becomes a war of attrition; not very attractive to watch either. I love it when managers go for quick, skilful and mobile strikers to embarrass the ponderous defenders you get a lot of in this league. It shows how rattled they were that one of them took to stamping on Edwards, about as close as he got to him all night.

Typical Cheltenham really and I'm glad we out footballed them, instead of merely out battling them. It made the win all the more sweet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
sonik
October 14, 2020, 1:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
A46 Closed north of Cheltenham, M5 Closed J4 -5. Tried A44 to Evesham Closed. Back on the M5. Diverted A38 to M42. M180 J3-4 Closed. Sweet passing The Scunts ground while above them now. Ha Ha!

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
grimps
October 14, 2020, 4:43am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Thought Macca was awful tonight until that save. Right out of the top drawer.

Most of his mistakes are his own doing , we seem to fanny about around our own box A lot , playing balls across it and putting defenders under pressure .
There always seems to be two of our defenders back when he takes a goal kick too , I’m sure this is part of the plan but it seems they don’t have confidence in his kicking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
monkeyboy
October 14, 2020, 6:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Need a mention to Ohman too who i thought played very very well again. Guys had 3 weeks out again and looked solid as a rock.

No one had a bad game to be fair, hope Gibson finds his shooting boots but the great thing is Jackson getting a brace in the reserves is showing we may have some depth now and no one person owns their position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
pontoonlew
October 14, 2020, 7:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from grimps

Most of his mistakes are his own doing , we seem to fanny about around our own box A lot , playing balls across it and putting defenders under pressure .
There always seems to be two of our defenders back when he takes a goal kick too , I’m sure this is part of the plan but it seems they don’t have confidence in his kicking

Holloway said in his post match that playing from the back is how he wants to play. Macca I’m sure will be working on his distribution in training but it certainly gave me palpitations at times and it probably will again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
IlkleyMariner
October 14, 2020, 8:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,035
Gold Stars: 69
Promotion odds down to 12-1. Worth a punt?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Devonmatt
October 14, 2020, 8:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Promotion odds down to 12-1. Worth a punt?

Well it is certainly value IMHO.  I have them as a 17/2 shot for promotion after last night and based on an expectation of points in the low 60's.

Only gamble with money you can afford to lose!

UTMM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
gobby
October 14, 2020, 9:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Macca’s save towards the end was a match winning save, which was in line with Waterfalls save in the first half! 🤣 😎
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Stranger in the Park
October 14, 2020, 10:17am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from grimps

Totally agree- him playing Waterfall into trouble with two opposition players waiting to swoop was terrible and  directly responsible to Cheltenham scoring.Also he has a very bad habit of being too far upfield in a lot of games and begging to be caught out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.