Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › JustGiving appeal for Ollie
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

JustGiving appeal for Ollie

This thread currently has 24,927 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
October 23, 2020, 12:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

All well said BD but this isn't just about what happened to Ollie's friend, that was just the catalyst to get this whole idea off the ground. It's become, and rightly so, about raising awareness of mental health, certainly within the male community....

Well said .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 158
jaygy
October 23, 2020, 12:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
What a brilliant fundraiser and very worthy cause. I don't feel it will negatively impact the family at all as IH has already come out in local media outlets and spoke about the death of his best friend and also no names have been mentioned in relation to the family involved
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 158
Davec
October 23, 2020, 12:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from jaygy
What a brilliant fundraiser and very worthy cause. I don't feel it will negatively impact the family at all as IH has already come out in local media outlets and spoke about the death of his best friend and also no names have been mentioned in relation to the family involved

Holloway mentioned his first and surname in the post match interview after Harrogate, also mentioned his wife and 4 children's names
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 158
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 23, 2020, 12:59pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +856
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Bigdog

I understand that, I've donated, but have you asked the "catalyst" (friends and family) for their approval? If not, then don't use the "catalyst" for a much bigger idea. It may be a good time to try and approach IH for his feelings on it before progressing any further..

If I'd have tragically lost a loved one in this way, I'm not sure that I'd want their death to be used approaching national news outlets etc without permission by complete strangers, however worthy the cause is..

What about the mental health of the bereaved? Who at this stage can be sure whether extra publicity could harm them further or alternatively they take great strength from it? It's an admirable cause, but it needs to be done in the right way..

The catalyst of all this is Ollie. It was seeing him in that aftermatch interview that started this all off. At no point have I/we named Ollie's mate, even though Ollie did give his name. Im not so callous to do that.

Yes, the mental health side of it could have helped his best mate, but this is more for us to help Ollie and his grieving. We want to let him know that he is not the only person going through these grievances, and that the whole idea of this appeal is to raise awareness of mental health issues and suicide prevention.

Ollie has been made aware of this appeal, and mentioned it in one of his interviews yesterday. He said it was a wonderful thing. Need I say more?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 158
Sandford1981
October 23, 2020, 2:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

The catalyst of all this is Ollie. It was seeing him in that aftermatch interview that started this all off. At no point have I/we named Ollie's mate, even though Ollie did give his name. Im not so callous to do that.

Yes, the mental health side of it could have helped his best mate, but this is more for us to help Ollie and his grieving. We want to let him know that he is not the only person going through these grievances, and that the whole idea of this appeal is to raise awareness of mental health issues and suicide prevention.

Ollie has been made aware of this appeal, and mentioned it in one of his interviews yesterday. He said it was a wonderful thing. Need I say more?

It was a brilliant idea and has raised a great amount of money and quite rightly you have been lauded for it. Absolutely brilliant job well done.
However bigdog makes some valid points and they may be worth consideration.
Assuming we know the answer because Ollie has said his name publicly or that we personally don’t think it will affect the family is not the same thing as knowing one way or the other, nor is Ollie saying it’s wonderful either.
Granted it may be difficult to find out but it may be a worthwhile task to know either way. However well intentioned I’m sure nobody wants to cause further stress at a time of such pain for the family.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 158
Mikey_345
October 23, 2020, 2:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,397
Gold Stars: 106
To try and see if this has, inadvertently, caused any issues or distress  I have messaged the club to ask they let us know if it has so that can be addressed.

I would again say I think everyone on here has made it more about general awareness to a difficult subject.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 158
Sandford1981
October 23, 2020, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Mikey_345
To try and see if this has, inadvertently, caused any issues or distress  I have messaged the club to ask they let us know if it has so that can be addressed.

I would again say I think everyone on here has made it more about general awareness to a difficult subject.

I know that, whole heartedly I don't think for one minute anyone thought otherwise, I just think it was safer to be sure than sorry given the circumstances.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 158
Bigdog
October 23, 2020, 2:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mikey_345

You've done the right thing Mikey. I don't think for one minute the original Just Giving page would have caused distress but progressing the idea from the original sentiment needs a little more thought to iron out unforeseen consequences.. if there are any.. The ambitions of the idea seem to have grown larger than its original concept over the past 24 hours..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 158
forza ivano
October 23, 2020, 5:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,213
Gold Stars: 265
I've donated.over £6.5k now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 158
KingstonMariner
October 23, 2020, 6:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano
I've donated.over £6.5k now

That’s very generous of you!

Good bonus this year? 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 158
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › JustGiving appeal for Ollie

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.