Ipswin
November 3, 2020, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from moosey_club

But even he ravaged his own squad when we got promoted, that was one of the bigger fck ups in our recent history. The core of that promotion squad would have seen us more than ok in our first season back.

Bristol Rovers (who we know only too well scraped back into the FL the year before) kept their squad together and got promoted first season back. Not saying we could have done the same but the squad was good enough while we settled in. Never forgive Hurst for mistakenly thinking he could split it up and get better players in overnight.

Building the side over a number of seasons is the key. Sadly short term plans, short contracts, too many loan deals (of decent players but who are never going to stay / sign) and too many changes (currently evidenced by Holloway's regime) means mediocrity at best and I daren't think of the worst. Certainly not the way upwards that's for sure

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
RichMariner
November 3, 2020, 1:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
Looking back at the 97/98 season we used around 20 players.

When we got relegated out of the Football League in 09/10 we used about 40.

I don't think there's any question that familiarity breeds success — to what degree, is a slightly different question. Our squad and approach to each game does seem chaotic, but that's not Ollie's desire. He's reacting to a situation he can't control.

I sometimes wonder how we'd get on if we had a squad of 18-20 and played them consistently. The argument in that article is that we'd do well, but how do you fight against injury and fatigue?

And while other teams' squads might be much larger, their 'chaotic' nature still allows them to rotate players — so fresh legs might still beat tired (but familiar) ones.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Limerick Mariner
November 3, 2020, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from RichMariner
Looking back at the 97/98 season we used around 20 players.

When we got relegated out of the Football League in 09/10 we used about 40.

I don't think there's any question that familiarity breeds success — to what degree, is a slightly different question. Our squad and approach to each game does seem chaotic, but that's not Ollie's desire. He's reacting to a situation he can't control.

I sometimes wonder how we'd get on if we had a squad of 18-20 and played them consistently. The argument in that article is that we'd do well, but how do you fight against injury and fatigue?

And while other teams' squads might be much larger, their 'chaotic' nature still allows them to rotate players — so fresh legs might still beat tired (but familiar) ones.

With rotation the key thing is that the players coming in know how they fit into the tactical systems, know their job in that system and have been coached on how to deliver that, taking into account their own limitations. Rugby again - Saracens, deplorable salary cap cheats that they are, but their academy and player development structure is second to none in professional team sport (albeit easier whilst cheating on the finances), I watched them play at Leicester over the years often with a weakened team due to internationals - the younger players just slotted in seamlessly to their tactical systems and knew exactly what their job was, especially with Saracens' very successful defensive system.

I agree with all said above about the GTFC promotion squad. If you looked the stats from the previous season - we were by far the most dominant team in terms of possession in the league, including in the attacking third. Probably only needed a couple of players to kick on like Bristol Rovers.

Ollie's has a huge challenge to deliver the familiarity needed this season - we have to accept it is a write-off in terms of any sort of challenge. Matching the 19/20 finishing position and maybe a bit of an FA Cup run would be a good outcome.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
sam gy
November 3, 2020, 3:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Agreed re Hurst should've kept the team together, but let's not forget that we were actually in the playoff places when he left..

In a way it probably only applies to a couple of players too when you look at the list....

Podge is one - we should have moved mountains to retain him.
Arnold - should have kept him, but then he barely kicked a ball in lg2 once he got promoted with Lincoln.
Craig Clay - probably deserved a new contract but top of conference about his level and i don't recall many being too upset when he was released
Nolan - no chance of keeping him
Toto - wanted to leave, well documented so lets not get into that again
Tait - went to SPL, would've been very hard to keep him

That's it really? The rest stayed (Macca, Pearson, Disley, Bogle) or were not good enough (East, Marshall, Monkhouse, Pittman). Robertson retired.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
KingstonMariner
November 3, 2020, 3:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t think we were in the play off places when Hurst left. Close to it maybe.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
sam gy
November 3, 2020, 4:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Ah my bad - thought we were 6th or something

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
ska face
November 3, 2020, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Was only looking at this over the weekend (yes, I was that bored).

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/L87K7MgK/A6007-EB8-C103-48-A3-B3-BA-7-A29-A4248-B3-B.png[/img]

I’ve not looked at the table so far this year, but based on their squad consistency and additions, and form at the end of last year, I’d expect Vale to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Not sure how the other stats map onto league positions.

Source - https://experimental361.com/2020/09/21/how-much-has-each-squad-changed-since-2019-20/
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Familiarity breeds success

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.