8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
NorthseaMariner
November 4, 2020, 5:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Saw his first game for us in a pre-season friendly against Leicester, he scored at the Osmond end within 10 seconds from kick off. When ever he played you knew he would score, just kept going until the ball was in the net. Sad passing, R.I.P. Sir Matt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
Croxton
November 4, 2020, 5:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
R.I.P. Matt. Worth the ticket money whatever the result and never let the heavy pitches affect his game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
Limerick Mariner
November 4, 2020, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,747
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from barralad
According to a tweet from Grimsby Live Matt Tees has died aged 81 after a long battle with dementia.

I didn't live in Grimsby during his first spell but was one of the 7000 plus who welcomed him back for his second. Quite simply the best header of a ball I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Very sad times...

My first football match - my Dad took me because of the Tees return. As the crowd was double the norm for Town at the time, struggling in the wrong half of Division 4 (not much changed in 50 years then...!) there could be a fair few for whom this was their first game...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
denni266
November 4, 2020, 5:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Remember him well . used to play football and cricket with him when i was a lad where the police box is now with many of the other players back in the day when players where down to earth . I grew up behind the main stand enterance and spent lots of time wondering round the ground along with many other lads. all the players back then had time for the young fans and along with Matt would spend time chatting and kicking a ball around... How times and players have changed now   RIP Sir matt  and thanks for all the memories
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
moss_side_mariner
November 4, 2020, 5:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Condolences to his family and friends. A true Grimsby Town legend.

R. I. P. Matt Tees.

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
Dogger Bank
November 4, 2020, 5:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Before my time and never got to see him play but Matt Tees is a true Grimsby Town FC legend. I'm please to have a picture of him and other greats that played for the club pride of place in my living room.

Condolences to Matt's family and friends at this difficult time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
Teesknees
November 4, 2020, 5:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
From the Charlton fans site, one of many complementary e mails giving the same opinions as on here.

He was an extraordinary player.

Physically there was nothing of him ... and he would take a ridiculous amount of punishment from 'craggy' centre halves.  Rarely would go a game by without the spectacle of Tees in a crumpled heap, receiving treatment (aka wet sponge) from the physio (aka man with bucket).  But he would get up, limp around for a bit and then get back into the fray.

He was the absolute best header of a ball that I have ever seen.  It really seemed that he could hang in the air, thus allowing him to jump early and beat the lumbering defenders to the ball.  He would dive headlong into a sea of boots, and the ball would end up in the net.

Tees usually scored our first goal in the game ... the most important goal as many of you will know.

I can see him now ... shirt hanging on him (tucked in at the back, but loose and free at the front).

See you at the far post, Matt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 4, 2020, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
The real reason I have supported town since my first match in 1965, seeing him score under floodlights and I was hooked. Was there for his return as a 15 year old when in all honesty our gate trebled to over 7000 he scored and again on the following Tuesday, v Barrow I think, That hat trick v Scunthorpe got our promotion campaign off to the perfect start and like most fans of my age group our favourite season as a town fan, despite no Wembley trip.

Nearly wet myself when I met him at Mick Howard’s wedding in the early eighties and was great to speak with him.

RIP my favourite ever player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
November 4, 2020, 6:12pm
Guest User
RIP Matt!  A great player and a TRUE TOWN LEGEND!  Had the pleasure of watching him play through both spells at Town, condolences to his family.
Reply: 28 - 71
Yoda
November 4, 2020, 6:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Used to talk to him in the Crows Nest an absolute gent.
And a wonderful footballer he would be a multi millionaire if he played today.
A sad loss for the town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sir Matt Tees R.I.P.  "Merged"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.