3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
November 8, 2020, 1:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
As I only have the radio to listen to for games can someone please post any highlights so that myself, and others can judge what people are writing about for ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
November 8, 2020, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Gaffer58
As I only have the radio to listen to for games can someone please post any highlights so that myself, and others can judge what people are writing about for ourselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08x4whw/the-fa-cup-202021-fa-cup-first-round-goals

40 minutes in.

First, poor play by Pollock not getting close to their no.10

Second, dopey pass by McKeown

Third, Clifton poorly losing the ball but it was another backwards pass to him when we should have been going forward looking for an equaliser..
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
FishOutOfWater
November 8, 2020, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
I clicked on the link just to see Jamie Devitt putting away another goal from distance (before our game started playing)

He'd already hit the post too before his winner

Still got it at 30 and now doing the business for Newport

Also take a look at Newport's first goal.... their keeper at fault for that one without a doubt. It's not just Macca madness that gifts goals
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 29
Gaffer58
November 8, 2020, 2:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Thanks Arry x 3, now seeing the “member up” there are a couple of things I noticed, first, why is Macca passing to someone in the middle of the 18 yard line, right in front of goal, a pass to a defender should always be towards the side line, less chance of the opposition creating something from there, plus second, Morton basically failed to control the ball first time, his 3rd touch was a good one by the way, but by then he was under pressure and lost the ball. I wouldn’t blame Ollie too much as like us he expects a professional footballer to be able to control with one touch a ball gently passed to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 8, 2020, 3:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I only see the highlights but it does seem to me that Ollie is asking too much of the players. He really does not understand what is required in lower league footie. Playing short passes to players on the back foot is going to cost you in most games. Players like Windsor and even Green have pace and need the ball early in front of them. Surely Green’s run for the pen should tell Ollie something about the style of play we need.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
FishOutOfWater
November 8, 2020, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I clicked on the link just to see Jamie Devitt putting away another goal from distance (before our game started playing)

He'd already hit the post too before his winner

Still got it at 30 and now doing the business for Newport

Also take a look at Newport's first goal.... their keeper at fault for that one without a doubt. It's not just Macca madness that gifts goals

Maybe whoever disagrees and gave the x for the above comment can't have watched the highlights.... either that or they've just got a totally sad life  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 29
Ipswin
November 8, 2020, 4:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I only see the highlights but it does seem to me that Ollie is asking too much of the players. He really does not understand what is required in lower league footie. .

Whether playing out from the back is the right thing or not in Div 4 I don't know (personally I'd rather Macca hoofed it up to halfway as the opposition have to come a bit further to stick it in our net!)

What I do know is that the current squad are simply not capable of playing it out safely from the back and I don't think Holloway is going to change that however much he coaches them and the sooner he realises that the better.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Welwynmariner
November 8, 2020, 4:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Thought the body language of the town players once the goals had gone in was very telling. Resigned, heads down, shoulders being shrugged. Would have thought that a second round tie would have been a big incentive. But then, I'm in the Roy Keane camp when it comes to player motivation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
denni266
November 8, 2020, 5:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Totaly threw the game away,, Macca should know better he is captain on the pitch and should show the way by booting that strait up the pitch that late in a game. Ollie should also know that is a dangerious way to play and cut it out,  as this must be his instructionsand have cost us points and a lot of much needed money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Northbank Mariner
November 8, 2020, 6:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from denni266
Totaly threw the game away,, Macca should know better he is captain on the pitch and should show the way by booting that strait up the pitch that late in a game. Ollie should also know that is a dangerious way to play and cut it out,  as this must be his instructionsand have cost us points and a lot of much needed money

Holloway's instructions are to play out from the back, pass and move the opposition about but Macca needs to understand that's not ALL the time...at 31 he experienced enough to know when to just smack it upfield and take the pressure off the back line... unfortunately it seems he cannot think for himself and does exactly, to the word, what Holloway says!..sorry to say but Macca needs to wake up, think quicker and smarter, great keeper but I'm starting to think he's costing us more points than he should do in this new style of play.....answers on a postcard, maybe time to give Battersby a go,??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Yesterday’s Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.