Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Outfield captain?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 136 Guests

Outfield captain?

This thread currently has 2,670 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
November 19, 2020, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
I fully agree with the notion that you need 11 captains on the field.  Be it vocal or leading by example.  But you do need someone who wears the armband and takes things by the scruff of the neck at times.

You've got guys like Groves who were the silent and pure example of how to be.  I don't think he was really a shouter or someone who would pin someone up in the dressing room, but he looked the type who people would naturally follow.  A proper leader.  
But Groves was surrounded by really good players for large parts of his time at Town.  Good, excellent professionals who knew their job inside and out and worked with each other like clockwork.  

I've no issue really with Macca having the armband, other than his position on the field doesn't lead him to a position of influence.  It's a dark art and not one that sits comfortably with me but the better teams always seem to have someone in the referee's ear all the time, usually their captain.  Not all referee's will be like this, but some will only speak to the captain.  If our captain is 50 yards away in between the sticks, it limits how much he can get into the referee's head.  

Purely on the pitch, I think it has to be Waterfall.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Theimperialcoroner
November 19, 2020, 2:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
It should not matter one not who is Captain. We just need leaders all over the pitch.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
sam gy
November 19, 2020, 2:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
We've had this conversation a billion times since Macca was appointed captain.

Giving an armband to someone else isn't going to change our fortune on the pitch. If we have an outfield player that is able to organise, encourage, stick up for his teammates and lead by example, then they can do that without an armband on.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
ska face
November 19, 2020, 3:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
I don’t think McKeown’s got the mentality for it, imo. His demeanour is jittery, erratic and reactive. A few weeks back he ran to the opposition box to get involved in some minor handbags (FGR I think it was), completely unnecessary. You want a captain who leads by example in their play - a goalkeeper cannot do that for an outfield player in reality. If you’re looking at your goalkeeper in any situation, it can’t be a good sign.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Outfield captain?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.