This thread currently has 14,164 views. Print
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Henryscat
December 7, 2020, 5:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/december/a-statement-from-the-chairman/

I am aware of certain inaccurate statements that have been circulating on social media in the last few days. I wish therefore to advise fans of the true position.

First, the Board is as disappointed as everyone with the recent results. Ollie has gone on record as to how he intends to make changes in January. The Board fully supports him in this, and funds will be available to enable him to do this. We have to bear in mind that we do have a salary cap this season and we are already not far short of the maximum we can spend. Notwithstanding this we will fully support Ollie in his decisions on squad changes.

There is no truth whatsoever that any player has been told to get a second job whilst on furlough. I do not know where that rumour emanated from, but it is completely fictitious.

Another statement is that John Fenty takes £50,000 a year out of the Club. Totally untrue. He takes nothing. Three years ago, there was a part payment of his loan when the Board agreed that there were sufficient funds to do this. Since then, there have been no repayments.

The Club does not operate with a Bank overdraft or Bank loan facility and should there be a shortfall this or any other season then the directors remain available to plug any gaps as they always have been.

There has also been a suggestion that the Board have turned down an offer from Mr. Tom Shutes to acquire the Club. Again untrue. I refer to the statement in the press I made several months ago. The door is always open and if Mr. Shutes wishes to speak to me and put forward proposals which satisfy the requirements of the EFL (as recently amended following the fiasco of the Bury and Macclesfield clubs) with regard to ownership then I will be pleased to talk to him.

No one wants to censor social media but there is a difference between legitimate criticism and unfounded and untrue statements. The unfounded statements I have referred to above fall into the latter category.

I wish the players all the best in the games to come and assure them that we are all behind them in their efforts. I hope fans will soon be back in the ground to cheer them on.

UTMM

Philip

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
psgmariner
December 7, 2020, 5:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Doubt it will make any difference but good to get the facts rather than endless rumours.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 105
BenBB
December 7, 2020, 5:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted Text
We have to bear in mind that we do have a salary cap this season and we are already not far short of the maximum we can spend

God help us

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 105
Cricklewoodmariner
December 7, 2020, 5:55pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +322
Gold Stars: 7
Why has Mr. Fenty taken money out of our club when we haven't finished in the top of half of Div. 4 for 14 years? (under his leadership)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 105
Henryscat
December 7, 2020, 5:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I’m a bit worried that we’re close to the salary cap with the players we have.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 105
Hagrid
December 7, 2020, 6:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
So everyones wrong apart from JF....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 105
Ruston AT
December 7, 2020, 6:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

so, are the players on 100% salary or not? if not they should be!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 105
ginnywings
December 7, 2020, 6:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
"The board is as disappointed as everyone else with the results".

A phrase I have heard countless times in the past 15 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 105
Boris Johnson
December 7, 2020, 6:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
How the intercourse is this inept and undoubtedly the worst squad in recent history... close to the salary cap?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 105
ska face
December 7, 2020, 6:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Henryscat
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/december/a-statement-from-the-chairman/

There is no truth whatsoever that any player has been told to get a second job whilst on furlough.

That’s not the accusation though, is it?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 105
codcheeky
December 7, 2020, 6:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ska face

Here we have the crux of it, the players are no longer on furlough, so is Day being careful with his phrasing to deflect from the truth ?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2020, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
The club’s Directors Loan account has reduced from 2.209 million to 2 million to 1.8 million to 1.55 million in the last four sets of published accounts according to the Companies House website. This year’s accounts are yet to go live.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 105
pizzzza
December 7, 2020, 6:32pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ska face

Well it is isn't it? All those that had "been told" about it said Max was asked to find another job back in the summer, when the players were on furlough.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 105
Ipswin
December 7, 2020, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Ruston AT

so, are the players on 100% salary or not? if not they should be!

It was put to the players after the Tranmere game that they would be paid according to performances So far they have paid in £3000 and three others have yet to set up direct debits

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 105
pontoonlew
December 7, 2020, 6:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
‘The door is open to Mr Shutes’ provided Mr Shutes stumps up the money to pay for Fentys disastrous tenure by paying him back for his own mistakes and provides detail of the ‘rainy day fund’ that we don’t actually have ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 105
lew chaterleys lover
December 7, 2020, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
They always mention they are there to "plug the gap" as needed.

There is no gap to plug, there haven't been any gaps to plug for years, have they? The fans pay over their hard-earned money. The board sets a budget based on that and divide  it out for various expenditure. There is no gap. When things got tough due to covid, we put a clause in the contracts to ensure there would be no "gap."

All he (Fenty) is there for is to plug a fictitious gap which never arises. Nice work if you can get it.

Not a word on how we are going to move forward. Not a word about seeking new investment apart from hoping Shutes might turn up with eye-watering amounts of money to pay Fenty off which no business-minded person would entertain.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Why doesn't Fenty just do us all a favour and sodomist off and let us pay him back in instalments? Put a premium on season tickets with that premium going directly to a pre-agreed fund  (much less than the full amount of his loans for obvious reasons) and let us start again without somebody willing and able to fill a non-existent gap.

He is there for a reason that does not exist. Let's get someone to do the same job, but who has vision, expertise, contacts and a plan.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 105
denni266
December 7, 2020, 7:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
In other words  if we get 1 mill handout or what ever you call it  only £7.57p is going on players  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 105
pontoonlew
December 7, 2020, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Is Day seriously saying that we’re close to paying our first team squad 1.5m, an average of £56,700 per year, per player (this includes Grist etc.)?

I’m stuck between not believing him and believing that we’d really be so stupid as to pay this shower of shite that much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 105
TownSNAFU5
December 7, 2020, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,906
Gold Stars: 42
I am worried that we have the quality (and reliability) of players that we have, are close to the salary cap,  AND are still in a perilous league position.  In the FAC we were beaten by 2 goals by a team at the bottom of the league below us and who had struggled to score any goals this season.

By any standards, these results are way below minimum acceptable performance levels.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 105
Henryscat
December 7, 2020, 7:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Is Day seriously saying that we’re close to paying our first team squad 1.5m, an average of £56,700 per year, per player (this includes Grist etc.)?

I’m stuck between not believing him and believing that we’d really be so stupid as to pay this shower of shite that much.

That’s roughly £1,000 a week. I imagine a lot of the more “senior” pros are on double if not treble that. I personally think it’s in this upper region where we aren’t getting VFM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 105
GrimRob
December 7, 2020, 7:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Boris Johnson
How the intercourse is this inept and undoubtedly the worst squad in recent history... close to the salary cap?

Because there are so many of them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 20 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2020, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The club’s Directors Loan account has reduced from 2.209 million to 2 million to 1.8 million to 1.55 million in the last four sets of published accounts according to the Companies House website. This year’s accounts are yet to go live.

Currently 4 red crosses for quoting facts and figures from a public website. Come on guys, you can do better than that!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 105
NorthLondonMariner
December 7, 2020, 7:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Quoted from Henryscat

I am aware of certain inaccurate statements that have been circulating on social media in the last few days. I wish therefore to advise fans of the true position.

First, the Board is as disappointed as everyone with the recent results. Ollie has gone on record as to how he intends to make changes in January. The Board fully supports him in this, and funds will be available to enable him to do this. We have to bear in mind that we do have a salary cap this season and we are already not far short of the maximum we can spend. Notwithstanding this we will fully support Ollie in his decisions on squad changes.

There is no truth whatsoever that any player has been told to get a second job whilst on furlough. I do not know where that rumour emanated from, but it is completely fictitious.

Another statement is that John Fenty takes £50,000 a year out of the Club. Totally untrue. He takes nothing. Three years ago, there was a part payment of his loan when the Board agreed that there were sufficient funds to do this. Since then, there have been no repayments.

The Club does not operate with a Bank overdraft or Bank loan facility and should there be a shortfall this or any other season then the directors remain available to plug any gaps as they always have been.

There has also been a suggestion that the Board have turned down an offer from Mr. Tom Shutes to acquire the Club. Again untrue. I refer to the statement in the press I made several months ago. The door is always open and if Mr. Shutes wishes to speak to me and put forward proposals which satisfy the requirements of the EFL (as recently amended following the fiasco of the Bury and Macclesfield clubs) with regard to ownership then I will be pleased to talk to him.

No one wants to censor social media but there is a difference between legitimate criticism and unfounded and untrue statements. The unfounded statements I have referred to above fall into the latter category.

I wish the players all the best in the games to come and assure them that we are all behind them in their efforts. I hope fans will soon be back in the ground to cheer them on.

UTMM

Philip

So did I dream Philip Day saying in a RH interview a few weeks ago "We are nowhere near hitting the salary cap this season"?

Someone can't keep track of their lies......................................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 105
aldi_01
December 7, 2020, 7:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Got to love a GTFC statement. They never really answer or clarify anything, just turn the phrasing of certain things around.

Nobody asked if players were furloughed, the comment was regarding professional players being told to get a second job.

They’re still peddling this narrative about Shutes which is tiresome and then more words about results. It was one step away from the dreaded vote of no confidence.

Still, nice of Fenty to help Day out...especially with him taking such a backward step recently...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 105
pontoonlew
December 7, 2020, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Henryscat

That’s roughly £1,000 a week. I imagine a lot of the more “senior” pros are on double if not treble that. I personally think it’s in this upper region where we aren’t getting VFM.

How many of those seniors do we have realistically? Scannell, Rose, Hendrie, Macca, Hanson, Williams, Waterfall and Green? 5 of those were here last season so do not count towards the salary cap (wonder if the EFL have advised Mr Day that this is the case).

So taking into account all of that, I’m amazed it averages out at over 1k pw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 105
GrimRob
December 7, 2020, 8:04pm

Quoted from aldi_01
Got to love a GTFC statement. They never really answer or clarify anything, just turn the phrasing of certain things around.

Nobody asked if players were furloughed, the comment was regarding professional players being told to get a second job.

They’re still peddling this narrative about Shutes which is tiresome and then more words about results. It was one step away from the dreaded vote of no confidence.

Still, nice of Fenty to help Day out...especially with him taking such a backward step recently...

The comment about professional players being told to get a second job, though, where is the source for that? Even if it's true if someone is the first person to introduce the "fact" into the public domain then they have to justify it.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 25 - 105
Henryscat
December 7, 2020, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

How many of those seniors do we have realistically? Scannell, Rose, Hendrie, Macca, Hanson, Williams, Waterfall and Green? 5 of those were here last season so do not count towards the salary cap (wonder if the EFL have advised Mr Day that this is the case).

I don’t know the intricacies of a player’s contract but let’s assume it’s for 52 weeks. 1.5m divided by 52 is 28.8k. If those 8 you’ve mentioned are on 2.5k a week each that is 20k leaving 8.8k left for the other 20 players (or £440 pw each) - of course I’m under the assumption they all count towards the cap in my maths.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 105
pen penfras
December 7, 2020, 8:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't know if those numbers are correct, but some of that debt was written off rather than repaid. There was a significant amount of debt to the Mullens that was cleared as part of the settlement for the court case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 105
Poojah
December 7, 2020, 8:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from pontoonlew

Minor point, but I think players that were already here do count towards the salary cap, but at the divisional average rather than their full salary (wherever this is higher than the average). Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that.

That point aside, the standout issue for me is that we have massively prioritised quantity of players over quality.  If we define senior players either as those who have made more than a couple of league appearances or were new signings, we have by my count 26 of them, supplemented by kids (who are low cost, but not ‘free’ by any stretch).

That’s a huge squad, in fact it’s bigger than Premier League sides are allowed to register to play in league games.

I don’t think it’s that difficult to believe that we are averaging around £55k a year across those, putting us close to the cap. And therein lies the rub for me - an average of c. £1k per week for your senior players feels more in line with our budgeting in the conference days than with a League Two side heading into 2021.

To put it into context, every time we have 11 senior players on the pitch, we have 15 not on it. Not affecting the game. Not scoring goals. Not winning matches.

I felt throughout the summer that much of our recruitment felt bizarre in how we went about it. I get the impression that we anticipated that Covid would have a far more disruptive effect on player turnover than has played out. As it stands, that’s looking like a serious miscalculation.

I said in a separate thread that after tomorrow night’s game we have a run of six fixtures which look more conducive to winning points, given the current league positions of the opposition. I will reserve my judgement until after those games, however should we fail to pick up more than a handful of points then we are in a real pickle.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2020, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't know if those numbers are correct, but some of that debt was written off rather than repaid. There was a significant amount of debt to the Mullens that was cleared as part of the settlement for the court case.

“I don’t know if those numbers are correct?”

I suggest that if you know about that debt being written off and the Mullen repayment then you should recognise the numbers from published accounts.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 105
friskneymariner
December 7, 2020, 8:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,156
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Currently 4 red crosses for quoting facts and figures from a public website. Come on guys, you can do better than that!

Demonstrates the paucity of the Fentyist supporters, have the courage of your convictions and state  your case.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 105
GrimRob
December 7, 2020, 8:33pm

Quoted from pen penfras

Could someone just draw up a table of who was owed what at the end of each year? I'll stick it on an FAQ thread, it's debated ad nauseum as it is.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 31 - 105
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2020, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

Minor point, but I think players that were already here do count towards the salary cap, but at the divisional average rather than their full salary (wherever this is higher than the average). Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that.

That point aside, the standout issue for me is that we have massively prioritised quantity of players over quality.  If we define senior players either as those who have made more than a couple of league appearances or were new signings, we have by my count 26 of them, supplemented by kids (who are low cost, but not ‘free’ by any stretch).

That’s a huge squad, in fact it’s bigger than Premier League sides are allowed to register to play in league games.

I don’t think it’s that difficult to believe that we are averaging around £55k a year across those, putting us close to the cap. And therein lies the rub for me - an average of c. £1k per week for your senior players feels more in line with our budgeting in the conference days than with a League Two side heading into 2021.

To put it into context, every time we have 11 senior players on the pitch, we have 15 not on it. Not affecting the game. Not scoring goals. Not so winning matches.

I felt throughout the summer that much of our recruitment felt bizarre in how we went about it. I get the impression that we anticipated that Covid would have a far more disruptive effect on player turnover than has played out. As it stands, that’s looking like a serious miscalculation.

I said in a separate thread that after tomorrow night’s game we have a run of six fixtures which look more conducive to winning points, given the current league positions of the opposition. I will reserve my judgement until after those games, however should we fail to pick up more than a handful of points then we are in a real pickle.

I think our Board have a lot to take account for but my assumption is IH gets a budget and decides how to spend it. He was/is clearly obsessed with Sat/Tue rotation something that IMHO putting a squad together so late was always going to be risky in terms of on the pitch cohesion.

All that said I wish they’d just STFU and get on or get out.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 105
ska face
December 7, 2020, 8:35pm

Vodka Drinker
What, this court case?

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....own-director-3402806

” Former Grimsby Town director Lee Mullen has dropped the claim brought against the club – and will now have to pay £20,000.”
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 105
forza ivano
December 7, 2020, 8:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from GrimRob

The comment about professional players being told to get a second job, though, where is the source for that? Even if it's true if someone is the first person to introduce the "fact" into the public domain then they have to justify it.

a plausible suggestion was made on Facebook; a letter would've gone out to all furloughed employees explaining what was happening, what it meant and what they could or could not do. In many organisations it was pointed out that an employee could take another job whilst on furlough, so long as they made themselves available to return to their main place of work
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 105
Azimuth
December 7, 2020, 8:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Cricklewoodmariner
Why has Mr. Fenty taken money out of our club when we haven't finished in the top of half of Div. 4 for 14 years? (under his leadership)

Probably because he put in over £2 million of hos own money to keep us afloat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 105
arryarryarry
December 7, 2020, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Azimuth

It didn't stop us sinking into Non League.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 105
Stew0_0
December 7, 2020, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
Regarding the 2nd job rumour for one of my players. Has a part-time fan read Shaun Pearsons article regarding him delivering takeaways in the lockdown and still think he plays for us OR is it just complete boulderdash made up in an attempt to further infuriate supporters.

Being a full time club why on earth would we ask what is now considered a senior member of the squad to get a part time job??

On 2 other notes i would like to add from both sides of the spectrum......

1. Why do certain fans think they need to know, understand or make up stories about the running of the club, decisions made, finances of, or boardroom decisions. Its none of our business.

2. Why does the chairman feel it necessary to have to explain himself and the club everytime one of these Chinese whispers is plastered on social media. The majority of this rubbish is untrue and should be ignored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 105
mariner91
December 7, 2020, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Azimuth

And how many millions of £s has his mismanagement cost us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 105
mariner91
December 7, 2020, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0
Regarding the 2nd job rumour for one of my players. Has a part-time fan read Shaun Pearsons article regarding him delivering takeaways in the lockdown and still think he plays for us OR is it just complete boulderdash made up in an attempt to further infuriate supporters.

Being a full time club why on earth would we ask what is now considered a senior member of the squad to get a part time job??

1. Why do certain fans think they need to know, understand or make up stories about the running of the club, decisions made, finances of, or boardroom decisions. Its none of our business.

2. Why does the chairman feel it necessary to have to explain himself and the club everytime one of these Chinese whispers is plastered on social media. The majority of this rubbish is untrue and should be ignored.

You're right. We should just keep forking out money every year to be constantly disappointed and let down by the incompetence of the current board. In their defence, they've only had almost two decades to get to grips with running a football club, I'm sure they'll get the hang of it soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 105
pizzzza
December 7, 2020, 9:21pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted Text
should there be a shortfall this or any other season then the directors remain available to plug any gaps as they always have been.

This is another part of the statement which seems odd to me, unless I'm missing something. Which director other than Fenty has the funds to plug gaps?

Hasn't two of them stuck in like only £500 for a place on the board?, the Mariners Trust members? presumably not. Day himself? who knows?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 105
Poojah
December 7, 2020, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think our Board have a lot to take account for but my assumption is IH gets a budget and decides how to spend it. He was/is clearly obsessed with Sat/Tue rotation something that IMHO putting a squad together so late was always going to be risky in terms of on the pitch cohesion.

All that said I wish they’d just STFU and get on or get out.

Very much so, I can only specuate but I'd imagine it was almost certainly Holloway's idea. For all their many faults I don't think this board has ever been 'controlling' when it comes to deciding how budget is used; Marcus Bignot's mad January is good evidence of that.

In fairness, I can understand the logic. This season's fixture list is far more condensed than most, and the possibility of major fixture disruption with a combination of Covid and the usual bad weather needed thinking about. I just think we've gone too far down the rotation rabbithole.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 105
blundellpork
December 7, 2020, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
The board had previously stated that they set a self imposed salary budget of £1.5m irrespective of the salary cap, and I can see how we’ve reached the £1.5m figure quite easily.

A 2 year contract for Hanson would not have come cheap, nor would raising McKeown’s pay to match that of Welsh and keep him as the highest earner. Whilst Green is no longer the player he once was, his reputation and goal scoring record wouldn’t have come cheap either. You can probably add Scannell to that list too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2020, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0

Regarding question 1, Grimsby Town FC is a public limited company and many hundreds of fans are shareholders. On top of that, many more are fans and are paying stakeholders and, as such, have the right to know how their attendance money is being spent.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 105
NorthLondonMariner
December 7, 2020, 9:35pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Quoted from blundellpork
The board had previously stated that they set a self imposed salary budget of £1.5m irrespective of the salary cap, and I can see how we’ve reached the £1.5m figure quite easily.

A 2 year contract for Hanson would not have come cheap, nor would raising McKeown’s pay to match that of Welsh and keep him as the highest earner. Whilst Green is no longer the player he once was, his reputation and goal scoring record wouldn’t have come cheap either. You can probably add Scannell to that list too.

This still doesn't explain Philip day saying either on the OS or RH  "We are not even close to hitting the salary cap and have plenty of  headroom should we need to add to the squad in Jan"

This was a month ago, tops.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 105
moosey_club
December 7, 2020, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,305
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Azimuth

i think the definition of "put in" is key here....the overall perception is, that in effect,  he has put very little in as the majority of his outlay is "loaned" and is having that repaid over time.  

If JF had put this money in , without strings, in a non returnable way then i think he would be thought of somewhat very differently. As it is he hasnt and therefore he isnt.

Ie ... The commonly understood way that Mike Parker was "welcomed" aboard with a promise of pound for pound investment leading to Mike Parkers investment becoming shares , Fenty's a loan .....instant fallout and Parker walking away gifting shares to the Trust.. ....JF then convincing  the Trust into handing over said shares with his "non control of his investment so was going to take his ball home" approach.
So he now gains extra shares for potentially no overall outlay if he is hoping to have his loans back anyway.  If that is how you treat a fellow genuine supporter of the club then no wonder we are all sceptical about how any other investors may either be put off or treated.

Could be so different , but it just isnt or wont ever be. Bangs on about being a custodian but does so much to actively undermine any of the good things he may or may have done.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 105
grimps
December 8, 2020, 12:01am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from moosey_club

i think the definition of "put in" is key here....the overall perception is, that in effect,  he has put very little in as the majority of his outlay is "loaned" and is having that repaid over time.  

If JF had put this money in , without strings, in a non returnable way then i think he would be thought of somewhat very differently. As it is he hasnt and therefore he isnt.

Ie ... The commonly understood way that Mike Parker was "welcomed" aboard with a promise of pound for pound investment leading to Mike Parkers investment becoming shares , Fenty's a loan .....instant fallout and Parker walking away gifting shares to the Trust.. ....JF then convincing  the Trust into handing over said shares with his "non control of his investment so was going to take his ball home" approach.
So he now gains extra shares for potentially no overall outlay if he is hoping to have his loans back anyway.  If that is how you treat a fellow genuine supporter of the club then no wonder we are all sceptical about how any other investors may either be put off or treated.

Could be so different , but it just isnt or wont ever be. Bangs on about being a custodian but does so much to actively undermine any of the good things he may or may have done.  

How much were the Parker Shares worth ? 250k ?
So really we can actually scrub that from the Fenty loan already plus whatever he’s taken out , the club owes him quite a lot less than 2 million
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 105
arryarryarry
December 8, 2020, 12:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Stew0_0

Is it just the fans that are making up stories?
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 105
aldi_01
December 8, 2020, 6:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
This recent statement seems a rather mammary for tat response. We’ve seen it before; it’s sold as a clearing the air or providing some Arita when in truth it’s just the club responding like a petulant child to some comments made on social media and setting their own narrative.

Even the statement isn’t the truth, as many have said, Day himself said we weren’t close to the salary cap limit yet here he is saying the very opposite.

The club continue to paint a picture of Shutes which seems a pointless waste of time. Fundamentally, whatever they claim, he simply didn’t want to play their games and now they’re doing the very thing they blame fans for.

Again, there are digs at fans and the use of social media etc. This statement wasn’t needed, it hasn’t cleared anything up and if they’re going to respond with a defensive, we know best response every time someone says something they don’t like they’ll be releasing one every week...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 105
December 8, 2020, 6:20am
Guest User
Quoted from psgmariner
Doubt it will make any difference but good to get the facts rather than endless rumours.

Yes exactly.
Reply: 49 - 105
aldi_01
December 8, 2020, 6:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 140067

Yes exactly.

Day contradicting himself and not actually clarifying the second job thing isn’t exactly presenting facts...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 8, 2020, 9:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Day contradicting himself and not actually clarifying the second job thing isn’t exactly presenting facts...

I think the fact that the statement came out at all is the most telling. It's straight from the John Fenty playbook.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 105
pen penfras
December 8, 2020, 9:21am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

“I don’t know if those numbers are correct?”

I suggest that if you know about that debt being written off and the Mullen repayment then you should recognise the numbers from published accounts.

That was mentioned by somebody on the board, probably Day, one of the other many times that Fenty gets accused of taking money out every season.

I don't know how much has gone where, or why the numbers don't actually match what Day said. But if they're saying that Fenty hasn't taken money out each season, then I don't think they're lying. Maybe go to an AGM and ask these questions rather than jumping on a message board and making accusations when you have zero knowledge of what has actually happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 8, 2020, 9:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

That was mentioned by somebody on the board, probably Day, one of the other many times that Fenty gets accused of taking money out every season.

I don't know how much has gone where, or why the numbers don't actually match what Day said. But if they're saying that Fenty hasn't taken money out each season, then I don't think they're lying. Maybe go to an AGM and ask these questions rather than jumping on a message board and making accusations when you have zero knowledge of what has actually happened.

I haven’t made any accusations. I’ve stated figures that appear in the club’s accounts. Nothing more. I don’t care where the money goes, I care about the future of a football club that has lost it’s mojo.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 105
diehardmariner
December 8, 2020, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
I don't for a second believe we're close to the salary cap.  You don't need to look at any figures to work out that we've gone cheap.  A big chunk of our squad is loan players and young kids.  Yes, they won't all come for nothing and collectively they add up.  But not to the levels to put us at the top of the salary cap.  

In the summer we saw experienced players who would have been on decent money leave the club.  We haven't replaced them all.  Far from it.  

Interesting that Fenty Day doesn't reference the fact that the salary cap is the EFL one.  Again, more 'clever' wording.   Wouldn't surprise me if it's a self-enforced salary cap.

Staggering that the statement says Fenty hasn't taken money out the club.  If this is the case, who the hell do we owe money to and why have the last few financial statements shown we've paid someone?  

The bit about the directors and plugging any shortfall if needed just sums it all up for me.  Sat on their hands this summer, cut the budget down to the bare bones and let the fans chuck into the begging bowl.

This years financial statements, which I understand are overdue(?), will make interesting reading.  Next years, well...
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 105
FishOutOfWater
December 8, 2020, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from aldi_01

If only he knew you have to get your facts right  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 105
GrimRob
December 8, 2020, 1:05pm

Quoted from pen penfras

The board are slammed if the debt goes up and slammed if it goes down. I haven't looked at the accounts but if all they say is a total figure for every year because that's the regulatory requirement, then I am sure a more detailed breakdown would be provided if someone were to ask. Why wait for an AGM though, an email would probably be forthcoming?

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 56 - 105
diehardmariner
December 8, 2020, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm not an accountant so I'll happily be corrected.  

My interpretation of the most recently published figures show that our debtors column reduced by £250,000 from the previous years figures.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to think (given that Day himself in that statement has made reference to the loans, the man himself has previously gone to great lengths to stress their benign status and the fact it mentions such loans in the papers itself) that such payment was made to Fenty.

Day is saying that's not the case.  As fans who are putting money into the club this year, last year, every year...I think we're entitled to at least ask the question as to who that money was paid back to and indeed who is the club indebted to.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 105
rancido
December 8, 2020, 2:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
They always mention they are there to "plug the gap" as needed.

There is no gap to plug, there haven't been any gaps to plug for years, have they? The fans pay over their hard-earned money. The board sets a budget based on that and divide  it out for various expenditure. There is no gap. When things got tough due to covid, we put a clause in the contracts to ensure there would be no "gap."

All he (Fenty) is there for is to plug a fictitious gap which never arises. Nice work if you can get it.

Not a word on how we are going to move forward. Not a word about seeking new investment apart from hoping Shutes might turn up with eye-watering amounts of money to pay Fenty off which no business-minded person would entertain.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Why doesn't Fenty just do us all a favour and sodomist off and let us pay him back in instalments? Put a premium on season tickets with that premium going directly to a pre-agreed fund  (much less than the full amount of his loans for obvious reasons) and let us start again without somebody willing and able to fill a non-existent gap.

He is there for a reason that does not exist. Let's get someone to do the same job, but who has vision, expertise, contacts and a plan.

Seeing the as we don't have an overdraft then it's quite possible the ' gap to plug' could mean temporary cash-flow problems. I am not an accountant but cash-flow, especially in their football industry with no gate money, could cause temporary cash shortfalls.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 105
MarinerDevil
December 8, 2020, 2:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from diehardmariner
My interpretation of the most recently published figures show that our debtors column reduced by £250,000 from the previous years figures.  

Do you mean creditors?  Debtors are people who owe the club; they're most likely other clubs who are still to pay outstanding transfer fee instalments.  Not trying to be a pedant, honest.  

The clear plan is to slowly reduce the directors' loans through the spoils of any footballing success.  I'm not sure why the club have reacted badly to that being suggested.

In regards to the part-time job rumour: clearly we need to be careful with gleefully sharing random theories that confirm our biases about the competence of the board.  Very difficult to manage on social media, of course.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 105
lew chaterleys lover
December 8, 2020, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Seeing the as we don't have an overdraft then it's quite possible the ' gap to plug' could mean temporary cash-flow problems. I am not an accountant but cash-flow, especially in their football industry with no gate money, could cause temporary cash shortfalls.

That is a fair enough point, but I think that actually makes the overall situation worse!

One man has complete control of every aspect of the club because many moons ago he helped us out, is now gradually taking the money back without any reference to the damage his tenure has caused (or any rebate as far as we know) and is there as a back up in case we can't pay the milk bill.

If he really, really wants every penny back then that is fair enough, as there is nothing we can do about it. We could however, set up overdraft facilities to pay the milk money if required and continue to rely (as we do now) on the fans money providing the budget, whilst he takes a well-earned rest far away from the football club and we send him a cheque in the post every month till he is paid off.

I guess he thinks he is "protecting his investment " by continuing to be the main man.  

However you cut it, anti Fenty, very anti Fenty or off the scale anti Fenty we will never go anywhere whilst he pulls the strings.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 105
diehardmariner
December 8, 2020, 3:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Do you mean creditors?  Debtors are people who owe the club; they're most likely other clubs who are still to pay outstanding transfer fee instalments.  Not trying to be a pedant, honest.  

The clear plan is to slowly reduce the directors' loans through the spoils of any footballing success.  I'm not sure why the club have reacted badly to that being suggested.

In regards to the part-time job rumour: clearly we need to be careful with gleefully sharing random theories that confirm our biases about the competence of the board.  Very difficult to manage on social media, of course.

Yeah, that's what I meant!  
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 105
rancido
December 8, 2020, 3:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100

That is a fair enough point, but I think that actually makes the overall situation worse!

One man has complete control of every aspect of the club because many moons ago he helped us out, is now gradually taking the money back without any reference to the damage his tenure has caused (or any rebate as far as we know) and is there as a back up in case we can't pay the milk bill.

If he really, really wants every penny back then that is fair enough, as there is nothing we can do about it. We could however, set up overdraft facilities to pay the milk money if required and continue to rely (as we do now) on the fans money providing the budget, whilst he takes a well-earned rest far away from the football club and we send him a cheque in the post every month till he is paid off.

I guess he thinks he is "protecting his investment " by continuing to be the main man.  

However you cut it, anti Fenty, very anti Fenty or off the scale anti Fenty we will never go anywhere whilst he pulls the strings.

I see your point but surely having an overdraft, which I assume would be with a bank, leaves an outside "force" with some control over the club. Fenty, for all his faults which are many, would be hard pressed to call in his loans or 'plugs', which could jeopardise the club. A bank is just a financial institution and to them "it's just business so they can would have no qualms about calling in what they were owed, regardless of the consequences.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 105
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 9:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from psgmariner

Here are some facts. From the published company accounts - taken from the Notes to the Financial Statements. This year it is note 12 on page 19. It's a similar note number most years. Year stated below is the financial year ending May 31st.

Directors Loans
2020 £1,550,000 - no change
2019 £1,550,000 - down £250,000
2018 £1,800,000 - down £200,000
2017 £2,000,000 - down £209,700
2016 £2,209,700 - down £34,800
2015 £2,244,500 - up £184,800
2014 £2,059,700 - up £75,000
2013 £1,984,700 - no change
2012 £1,984,700 - down £50,000
2011 £2,034,700 - down £357,100
2010 £2,391,800 - up £601,800

Highest point for Directors Loans was 2010. Since then the amount owed to directors has fallen £841,800

Now if this isn't money that John Fenty has been repaid, who has it been repaid to? A small about to Lee Mullen maybe around 2016.

I think Mr Day should get his facts right!

Incidentally, in 2003 Directors Loans totalled £100,000.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 105
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimps

How much were the Parker Shares worth ? 250k ?
So really we can actually scrub that from the Fenty loan already plus whatever he’s taken out , the club owes him quite a lot less than 2 million

Think he gifted the Trust 500k and they handed 200k over to Fenty.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 8, 2020, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Here are some facts. From the published company accounts - taken from the Notes to the Financial Statements. This year it is note 12 on page 19. It's a similar note number most years. Year stated below is the financial year ending May 31st.

Directors Loans

Highest point for Directors Loans was 2010. Since then the amount owed to directors has fallen £841,800

Now if this isn't money that John Fenty has been repaid, who has it been repaid to? A small about to Lee Mullen maybe around 2016.

Of that 841k, 659k was in three years.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 105
Hagrid
December 8, 2020, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Dont believe a word Phillip Fenty-Day says.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 8, 2020, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Directors Loans

I honestly believe that the board think we’re too stupid to understand balance sheets.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 105
HertsGTFC
December 8, 2020, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I honestly believe that the board think we’re too stupid to understand balance sheets.

At the very least they believe we’ll accept their spin

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 105
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 10:03pm
Meths Drinker
A fellow directors, I think Dave Roberts and Jon Wood ought to request PD makes a clarification to his statement.

If not John Fenty, which director has been paid £660k in 3 years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 105
ska face
December 8, 2020, 10:16pm

Vodka Drinker
New statement from Day tonight:

“Gottle o’ geer, gottle o’ geer, mind that hand John!”

No wonder he was so angry with other teams being potentially bailed out - it’s becoming clearer by the day that the club gambled on there being at least two clubs going out of business. Just the kind of ambition we’ve become accustomed to.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 105
Bigdog
December 8, 2020, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

Directors Loans

A sorry lesson in how to destroy a football club and shirk any personal responsibility or ultimate financial consequence.. just put everyone else through decades of agony and pain until you get every penny of the money you squandered on extremely poor decisions back..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 8, 2020, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

A sorry lesson in how to destroy a football club and shirk any personal responsibility or ultimate financial consequence.. just put everyone else through decades of agony and pain until you get every penny of the money you squandered on extremely poor decisions back..

If we get relegated, this club is dead. It probably is already.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 105
lew chaterleys lover
December 8, 2020, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If we get relegated, this club is dead. It probably is already.

Yes I have just been musing - if we go down then I won't be going back and that is after 60 years of fanatical support.

I guess some others will feel the same. We will always survive in some form but we are becoming a music hall joke. Surely it is not too much to ask given our support to be at least competitive in division 4?
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 105
mariner91
December 8, 2020, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If the club gets relegated I would think a significant percentage of the fans who stuck by the club during this awful last 18 years would call it a day. The club may still exist but it will never get back in to the FL in it's current guise and certainly no chance of ever getting back to the FL if Fenty and his board of yes-men have anything to do with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 105
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 1:18am

Recovering Alcoholic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 105
aldi_01
December 9, 2020, 6:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
The club has been on life support since it re-entered the league.

Anyone left genuinely supporting the regime has to be close and personal friend or just deluded surely?

People can use the nonsense excuse of ‘but look at bury’ but that simply doesn’t make it alright.

As stated throughout this thread, in truth what we’ve seen is a fantastic example of how not to run a football club. For the sake of some minute profit that is never reinvested we’ve found ourselves being a club that literally exists, nothing else.

I don’t know about anyone else but that’s boring, plain, uninspiring and makes you question whether it’s worth wasting the money. Playing to exist can’t be fun for the players either. Nobody is saying we should be storming the league but some gumption and at least a positive attitude and attempt to at least improve would be nice.

Perhaps if as much effort was put in to the club as is with a roundabout, a palm tree and whatever other bizarre ideas he’s supporting then we may see some change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 105
louth_in_the_south
December 9, 2020, 6:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,710
Gold Stars: 96
It’s easy supporting a palm tree etc when it’s the taxpayer who’s paying for it

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 105
grimps
December 9, 2020, 7:06am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Looks like we could be the first team for years  to drop out of the league and still make a few bob this season.
Surely this is a success story for a business owner ?
I think Fenty has worked out that Finishing in the bottom 4 every season while paying non league wages is a great way to make his money back., he’s hit the sweet spot For what he has to pay and what he can get back .

As someone said earlier not finishing above half way in league two for 15 years is an absolute disgrace for a club of our size and history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 9, 2020, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps
Looks like we could be the first team for years  to drop out of the league and still make a few bob this season.
Surely this is a success story for a business owner ?
I think Fenty has worked out that Finishing in the bottom 4 every season while paying non league wages is a great way to make his money back., he’s hit the sweet spot For what he has to pay and what he can get back .

As someone said earlier not finishing above half way in league two for 15 years is an absolute disgrace for a club of our size and history.

It’s an absolute disgrace but, to put it into some context, it’s even worse when the man presiding over the shitshow tells us how much of a fan he is.

Really?
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 105
diehardmariner
December 9, 2020, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
New statement from Day tonight:

“Gottle o’ geer, gottle o’ geer, mind that hand John!”

No wonder he was so angry with other teams being potentially bailed out - it’s becoming clearer by the day that the club gambled on there being at least two clubs going out of business. Just the kind of ambition we’ve become accustomed to.

Incredibly harsh.  This type of approach worked perfectly well in 2008/09 and look how we went from strength to strength the following year.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 105
diehardmariner
December 9, 2020, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
If the club gets relegated I would think a significant percentage of the fans who stuck by the club during this awful last 18 years would call it a day. The club may still exist but it will never get back in to the FL in it's current guise and certainly no chance of ever getting back to the FL if Fenty and his board of yes-men have anything to do with it.

I think you're right.

Easy to forget all the previous 'I've had enough' type moments.  But it really feels like the majority of the feeling is either disillusionment or even worse, sheer apathy.

It's always the apathy that's the most dangerous.  Personally Day's statement dragged me from apathy to anger but after years of getting kicked in the teeth, my passion and interest in this particular incarnation of the club is dwindling fast.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 105
toontown
December 9, 2020, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
I suppose day could claim that his statement is technically true - the club does not repay fenty 50k per year. The figures seem to show it varying between  0 and a couple of hundred thousand, unless I'm mistaken?

Surely this is the sort of thing the trust needs to clarify - Has the club repaid any loans to fenty or Not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 105
GrimRob
December 9, 2020, 10:58am

Quoted from toontown
I suppose day could claim that his statement is technically true - the club does not repay fenty 50k per year. The figures seem to show it varying between  0 and a couple of hundred thousand, unless I'm mistaken?

Surely this is the sort of thing the trust needs to clarify - Has the club repaid any loans to fenty or Not?

Well, they have said he has not in this statement, to be fair. But the details of who is owed what on a year-by-year basis is not published so all we have to go on is the total debt to all indivduals.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 83 - 105
Stadium
December 9, 2020, 5:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Money no issue according to PD

“Financially, there will be whatever support Ollie needs to restructure in January. Finance will not be an issue."

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/money-no-issue-grimsby-town-4781671

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 105
ska face
December 9, 2020, 5:28pm

Vodka Drinker
He said it was “1 out, 1 in” a fortnight back...
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 105
forza ivano
December 9, 2020, 6:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
and according to day's statement we are nearly at the salary cap anyway, so it doesnt matter if moneys available
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 105
Swansea_Mariner
December 9, 2020, 6:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
It's not very clear is it, we're not near the cap, we're near the cap, we'll spend whatever is necessary. Which is it or am I missing something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 105
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 6:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It's not very clear is it, we're not near the cap, we're near the cap, we'll spend whatever is necessary. Which is it or am I missing something?

I suppose to give more budget might mean paying off some players early a la Mohsni and Ohman, perhaps that's what it means. It's an expensive way to do business, but it was clearly very wrong in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 105
moosey_club
December 9, 2020, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I see amongst the "unlikely to include covid clauses" wording is also a "hopefully we will be in Tier 2 and crowds can return" ...... as at best we will be Tier 2 and capped at 2000 given you already have had the money for  1400(?) of those seats then potentially 600 extra seats (if the club plans to sell additional seats on a match day )  isnt going to boost the coffers by a massive amount is it , after expenses of opening up a full ground have been taken off.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 105
aldi_01
December 9, 2020, 6:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
We’re the club that learns nothing, or that’s how it often seems.

Whilst there may be good reason for paying players off, we’ve been here before and eventually the inevitable happened...it’s not a good habit to get in, especially for a club that pleaded poverty for nigh on 6 months this year...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 105
wigworld
December 9, 2020, 7:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Does anyone know if paying off players (e.g. Mohsni and Ohman) count as part of the salary cap? Is it still considered salary, or more like compensation and therefore outside of salary cap rules?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 105
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 7:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from pen penfras

I suppose to give more budget might mean paying off some players early a la Mohsni and Ohman, perhaps that's what it means. It's an expensive way to do business, but it was clearly very wrong in the summer.

That would be my take on it too. Possibly pay off some of the bigger earners early to free budget for incoming players. Take Hanson for instance. He's probably the highest earner, but it's no good if he's on the treatment table or sat at home. May cost a few grand to pay him off, but we could get someone in to replace him, maybe even for slightly less wages, which would claw back some of the money over the coming months, and also leave slightly more in the cap for others. Same for Green, and dare I say it, Macca. We got Henderson on loan and he was a massive improvement without the cost.

It's also possible we could get some other sides to take those off our hands with free transfers if we let it be known they won't be getting another contract at the end of the season. May motivate them to take a pay drop somewhere else for a longer contract.

I think any player whose contract is up at the end of the season, or is on a loan, is fair game at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 105
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 7:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from wigworld
Does anyone know if paying off players (e.g. Mohsni and Ohman) count as part of the salary cap? Is it still considered salary, or more like compensation and therefore outside of salary cap rules?

I would imagine that if we terminate their contract, even if it means paying them off, it will free up space in the cap. Don't know for sure though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 105
LH
December 9, 2020, 7:07pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,602
Gold Stars: 175
Surely any settlement counts towards the cap though? They are in effect still wages (to this layman)? It’s going to be a very expensive month and I’ve got a really bad feeling that the low capacity of ICU beds at DPOW is going to cost us T2 next week.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 105
lee65
December 9, 2020, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: +2,486
Quoted from pen penfras

Surely if you pay players off early it is likely to cost a fair proportion of what their full contract would be worth (75%+ say?) or as a player why would you take it.

If this is the case, won’t that still count against the annual salary cap?, so won’t actually free off much money?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 105
lee65
December 9, 2020, 7:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: +2,486
Sorry to be repetitive, didn’t read to the end before posting  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 105
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 8:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I would imagine that if we terminate their contract, even if it means paying them off, it will free up space in the cap. Don't know for sure though.

My understanding is that it doesn't count towards the cap, but I'd have to re-read the rules on the website to be sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 105
Swansea_Mariner
December 9, 2020, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Hilarious, when is a salary not a salary! I mean why do the EFL have to make things so complicated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 105
gytone
December 9, 2020, 8:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
I fear that come January, we will be stuck adrift second from bottom of the league and any players we actually coax into the club, probably at the end of the month, will not be able to help us catch up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 105
diehardmariner
December 10, 2020, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Holloway gets a lot of stick for his need to talk to the media, but isn't Day in serious danger of jumping in this boat too?

We're ok for a year....here's our begging bowl.....it's 1 in 1 out and we're near the top of the salary cap....money won't be an issue in the transfer window.

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 105
moosey_club
December 10, 2020, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Holloway gets a lot of stick for his need to talk to the media, but isn't Day in serious danger of jumping in this boat too?

We're ok for a year....here's our begging bowl.....it's 1 in 1 out and we're near the top of the salary cap....money won't be an issue in the transfer window.

An old adage about good liars having to have even better memories....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 105
louth_in_the_south
December 10, 2020, 9:59pm

Exile
I listened to today’s the price of football podcast . They had an interview with the Plymouth chairman. I can only dream of having someone like him in charge of gtfc . Well worth a listen .
*it does help he’s a multi multi millionaire from financial investment world but his ideas are spot on *

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 105
dapperz fun pub
December 11, 2020, 7:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I listened to today’s the price of football podcast . They had an interview with the Plymouth chairman. I can only dream of having someone like him in charge of gtfc . Well worth a listen .
*it does help he’s a multi multi millionaire from financial investment world but his ideas are spot on *

We have a multi millionaire from the world of fish , described as a captain of industry I seem to remember what could go wrong 😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 105
louth_in_the_south
December 11, 2020, 8:01am

Exile
Errr this guys company manages £73B so slightly different levels lol

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 105
MarinerDevil
December 11, 2020, 5:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
£15,500 of shares have been purchased.  This could be from the fans' fundraising campaign, more of Holloway's planned shareholding or a bit of a cash injection from existing shareholders.

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1337450258054455297?s=19
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 105
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement from Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.