6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
December 11, 2020, 3:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
If it's Steele who produced the form when No 1 at Barnsley, it would be an incredible signing.  

If it is him, let's hope it's more Steve Sherwood (minus the dodgy start) than Nick Colgan (who spookily had his best spell, arguably, at Barnsley).

Whoever it is, McKeown needs pushing and competition.  However long he's been here is irrelevant.  He isn't at his best this season and if it was any other 'keeper he would have been hung out to dry on here/social media.  I think McKeown is a fine, fine 'keeper and personally think we'll do well to get better at this level.  I think that potential to go on and play at the top end of League One or even the Championship has sailed, but as a League Two stopper, I've seen few better.  But he needs testing.  I don't for a second think it's intentional but I suspect a little bit of complacency has creeped in.  Even the very best need someone breathing down their neck.

If the 'keeper we bring in does nothing but sit on the bench for the next 6 months but it motivates McKeown to be at his very best, it's money well spent.

That said, I've got a feeling Holloway isn't that keen on McKeown's all round game and wonder if we've either seem or are about to see his final chapter in a Town shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
pontoonlew
December 11, 2020, 3:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I think this is dumb.

The guy is 36, clearly on the way down. Fine to bring in competition for Macca. But it doesn't need to be done publicly. You can see a situation where he at 36 turns out to be past it and all we've achieved is unsettling Macca.

I don't see why he has to tell everyone his plans. It limits his options if things don't pan out.

36 isn’t old for a goalkeeper these days, especially one who has played in the top 2-3 divisions for the majority of his career
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Bigdog
December 11, 2020, 4:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pontoonlew

36 isn’t old for a goalkeeper these days, especially one who has played in the top 2-3 divisions for the majority of his career

His arms have gone etc etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
horsforthmariner
December 11, 2020, 5:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9

Steve Sherwood was around that age when Buckley signed him and he played 180+ games for us.

I think Ollie says these things to stymie the social media clever devils as much as he can. If it is out in the open then twitrumours don’t mean much.

I take the point about Steve Sherwood (How I wish we could have him now) but he had played a lot of the games in the top flight and in an FA Cup Final - he was on his way down but from a great height!

I just think saying stuff like this just destabilizes the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Stadium
December 11, 2020, 6:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner
If it's Steele who produced the form when No 1 at Barnsley, it would be an incredible signing.  

If it is him, let's hope it's more Steve Sherwood (minus the dodgy start) than Nick Colgan (who spookily had his best spell, arguably, at Barnsley).

Whoever it is, McKeown needs pushing and competition.  However long he's been here is irrelevant.  He isn't at his best this season and if it was any other 'keeper he would have been hung out to dry on here/social media.  I think McKeown is a fine, fine 'keeper and personally think we'll do well to get better at this level.  I think that potential to go on and play at the top end of League One or even the Championship has sailed, but as a League Two stopper, I've seen few better.  But he needs testing.  I don't for a second think it's intentional but I suspect a little bit of complacency has creeped in.  Even the very best need someone breathing down their neck.

If the 'keeper we bring in does nothing but sit on the bench for the next 6 months but it motivates McKeown to be at his very best, it's money well spent.

That said, I've got a feeling Holloway isn't that keen on McKeown's all round game and wonder if we've either seem or are about to see his final chapter in a Town shirt.

Really??
It was 12 years ago.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
tashee69
December 11, 2020, 7:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23

Steve Sherwood was around that age when Buckley signed him and he played 180+ games for us.

I think Ollie says these things to stymie the social media clever devils as much as he can. If it is out in the open then twitrumours don’t mean much.

Bobby Roberts signed him

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
HertsGTFC
December 11, 2020, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner

Hurst will need to get back into work first. I think Holloway just wants to put him under pressure and bringing a keeper to let another leave defeats the object I reckon.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
TonySmith
December 11, 2020, 8:15pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
  I think some people are looking back at Steve Sherwood with slightly rose tinted glasses. He was a very experienced goalkeeper who played in the old first division and and an FA cup final, I know that, but he was no more than decent for us, in my opinion, and I saw him let in a few absolute howlers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
Northbank Mariner
December 11, 2020, 8:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Dave Beasant came here as an aging keeper.... I'll leave it that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
moosey_club
December 11, 2020, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,299
Gold Stars: 226
Macca has had a good run here, never really had any competition at any stage and when he did he reacted very badly to it, also when Welsh came he wasted no time in re negoitiating his own contract so i think he has been spoilt in some ways.  
He has served us very well though and saved us more points than cost us i would think ,  but i really think the captaincy and Holloways instruction has had an effect , he has seemed all over the place positionally and the playing out just doesnt suit him.

No player has the divine right to go unchallenged but he has had the priveledge of that for so long he has probably forgotten how lucky he has been in that respect.  Hopefully he will take this episode better than the last one.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Keeper

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.