Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway resigns  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 163 Guests

Holloway resigns  (merged)

This thread currently has 23,678 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
chipsandgravy
December 23, 2020, 12:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
My first reaction was to be gutted. Then angry at the timing of it all. I now feel that this could finally be the catalyst to clear the decks once and for all. Would preferred a more secure league position. It may be real bumpy over the next few weeks/months but jesus if weren't not use to it by now. That's my glass half full!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 178
Tinymariner
December 23, 2020, 12:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
He has achieved nothing at this club, he hasn't even left us with any Sprinklers!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 178
grimsby pete
December 23, 2020, 12:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,835
Gold Stars: 222
I loved it when Ollie came but he has been a great disappointment .

I wish him well but maybe it was a mistake to come here in the first place.

All we can do is hope the new board pick the right man for the job and it's not Fent y choosing before he goes.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 178
golfer
December 23, 2020, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I bet he was told to go re- his comments
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 178
Roast Em Bobby
December 23, 2020, 12:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

It's more about squad numbers than budget. May have to pay off some to free up room, but there are a few loanees that can go back too.

Surely paying someone off is still using your budget though. In the current climate I can't see many players accepting a pay off that is much less than what they are due to earn if they stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 178
golfer
December 23, 2020, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Did Hurst get that job he was favourite for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 178
Squinter
December 23, 2020, 12:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah
All very predictable given his statement last week. I'm not quite sure what the sub-plot is here, but I'm fairly confident that the truth lies somewhere in between him having simply bitten off more than he can chew and the outing of the Alex May deal putting paid to a deal which would have seen him benefit financially. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but the fact he came here when he did seemed odd at the time and so I'm inclined to believe that there may be something in the latter.

Ultimately, it's a convenient narrative that allows him to walk away with his reputation intact in the eyes of the wider footballing world. I am not prepared to forget however that he came here full of bluster and potentially on false pretences, and left the club with a seriously underwhelming, unbalanced, oversized squad bereft of confidence and facing a very real threat of relegation back into the non-league abyss.

That's his legacy for me. A man who I had great respect for even before he joined our club just lost all of it. He is no higher in my estimation now than Mike Newell, and that is some achievement.

Whatever you make of his resignation statement, he is not telling the whole truth.

As always Poojah, you have an amazing knack of putting into words what I'm thinking in my head.  It always baffled me why a manager would invest in a club and get a position on the board, never heard of it being done before.  Now the chance of a financial windfall has gone....... so has Ollie,  Reading between the lines and in my opinion only, I think Fenty has sold him a line about his plans for the club, but just neglected to tell him it would be funded by a convicted fraudster.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 178
golfer
December 23, 2020, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Has he put his house up for sale  ( that he was supposedly buying )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 178
December 23, 2020, 12:17pm
Guest User
A bit Gutted when I first heard this as I was proper excited when he first took over. But not so much now had a think about it all.

I think he is full of excrement here. Says he cares about the fans etc etc. this take over hasn’t even gone through yet- and everyone knows it isn’t over till it’s all signed sealed and delivered when it comes to business. Resign if and when it happens..... ok..... but no way is it even close yet.

We needed a massive January and He knows this. If he cared so much about the fans and club he wouldn’t have left 8 days before the start of the so important window.

We may not even have a manager in place for it. And if a new guy comes in- he won’t have time to fully assess the squad and make the appropriate changes that are needed to save our league status. Holloway has sold us down the river here. And for that he can intercourse right off.
Reply: 138 - 178
ginnywings
December 23, 2020, 12:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Surely paying someone off is still using your budget though. In the current climate I can't see many players accepting a pay off that is much less than what they are due to earn if they stay.

Don't think it's about the budget, there is room in that. Think it is more to do with freeing up space in the squad. That's why Ollie had been shipping players out to bring others in. There are squad limits attached to the new salary cap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 178
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway resigns  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.