3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mariner John
December 30, 2020, 6:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +633
Gold Stars: 54

Grimsby Town are delighted to announce the appointment of Paul Hurst as manager with immediate effect on a contract until June 2023.
Interviews Freeview: Meet The New Manager - Paul Hurst Just now

Joining Paul in the dugout will be his long-term trusted Assistant Manager, Chris Doig who he has worked alongside since 2014.

We welcome back Paul as he returns to the club where he spent five-and-a-half years, taking charge of over 300 games. Memorably, he guided the Mariners back to the Football League after a 3-1 victory at Wembley Stadium over Forest Green Rovers in 2016, ending a six-year spell in the National League.

Paul went on to spend two years at Shrewsbury Town, guiding them from the bottom of Sky Bet League One to the League One Playoff final in 2018, falling just shy of promotion after a 2-1 defeat to Rotherham United at Wembley in extra-time following a 3rd place league finish.

His stock continued to rise, as he was appointed manager of Sky Bet Championship side, Ipswich Town where he spent a short period before joining Lincolnshire rivals, Scunthorpe United at the start of the 2019/20 season.

We spoke exclusively to Chairman Philip Day, who was delighted to secure the signature of our new manager. “I am delighted that Paul has agreed to join us as manager", said Philip. "He needs no introduction from me. We can look back to his five and a half years as manager between 2011 and 2016 and the success we enjoyed under his leadership including four visits to Wembley Stadium. The consortium has been involved and consulted on Paul’s appointment and is very supportive of the Board’s decision. As Paul has identified there will be a necessity to sign players in the forthcoming transfer window, I am pleased that the consortium will again be involved in decisions relating to this and we welcome the added value this will bring.”

Paul was present at Blundell Park yesterday evening, where he saw his side draw 0-0 with Oldham Athletic. Gtfc.co.uk caught up with Paul, who spoke about his delight at re-joining the Mariners and his readiness for a fight. "It's a bit surreal to be back!", he said. "It brings back a lot of nice memories too. It's great to see a lot of familiar faces here still and I have enjoyed it. Not much has changed, many of the faces are still the same but that can be a positive. In terms of getting to know people that's easily done, I already know the people here so that'll be an easy transition.

"No one wants to see the club where it is. There is no doubt that it is a perilous position. There is no point in hiding away from that fact and after being a big part in helping the club get back into the League, I can hopefully play a big part in making sure that we are still there come the end of the season.

"You part company and we went our separate ways for a period, but that doesn't change the fact that you're always looking for the results. I don't take any pleasure in looking at where the club is currently. Between now and the end of the season the goal is to stay up. There is no point in trying to pretend that it's any more than that but, longer-term, I have always said that this club can go further, I truly believe that.

"I have still been watching a lot of football. Part of my routine is watching games on the weekends. It helps with one, my routine but also two, helps keep my knowledge up. It's no good thinking a certain player was good a couple of years ago, you've got to stay on top of it and that's why, when the next challenge comes, you've got to be ready for it and I believe that I am in a good place for that in terms of knowledge.

"I think it's crucial that some players are brought in to help the ones that are already here. Again, people will have chances, but I have watched the last four games now. Already, some players have had that opportunity and whether they have taken that, I always say that I don't think players understand that they never know who's watching in any scenario. Whether that's in the future for a new club or in this case for a new manager, it shouldn't take a change of manager or someone fresh to bring the best out of people but unfortunately, that happens sometimes and it's not nice for those that have departed, but it's the case sometimes.

"It will be a fresh start. There are some things that I have seen that I like, but some things that I haven't liked. One thing is obvious, we are not scoring enough goals and we're conceding too many. Unfortunately, that's a terrible recipe and we have got to try and change that. There have not been enough clean sheets for the team and when you're out there and you concede and you've got the feeling that you're not going to score too many, that can be deflating. You've got to be able to cope with that as individuals but most importantly as a team and a squad. That is something we've got to try and do. We've got to try to get people wanting to play, play with a smile on their face, but working extremely hard and that's where it all starts.

"I am really keen to get back to work, to get to know the players, I have got to make some decisions very quickly in terms of ins and outs, in terms of who to include. One thing that is evident is there are too many players here. I have proved before that's not what I like to work with, I like to work with a smaller squad. There, it is easier to get everybody on board, you try and cut out any cliques or negativity around because if you have got 30 odd players, you can have 18 and the subs aren't happy anyway and then you've got another group of players. For me, how I like to work, that is something I will have to deal with, but I am looking forward to the challenge. I am certainly up for the fight and that's what we are going to want and need from the players".

Finally, Chairman Philip Day made a plea to fans following an eventful week. “The last few days have been very divisive", said Philip. "I trust and hope that everyone can put their differences behind them for the good of the Club. Let us all get behind Paul and the team to ensure that we can move up the table. Paul and the players will need all of us united to support them in their endeavours to achieve this.”

You will be able to catch Paul's first interview with iFollow Mariners.

Welcome back, Paul and Chris!
Logged Offline
Private Message
forza ivano
December 30, 2020, 7:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
13 minutes totally avoiding the elephant in the room! i suspect he won't be doing a phone in or radio interview any time soon!

seems a lot more relaxed, with some nice bits of self deprecating humour.
main points for me:

there's going to be a lot of outgoings.
only wants to work with small squad - suspect he wants to get a band of brothers mentality like the 2016 side had
talked about the importance of clean sheets
think macca will get a big boost from him coming back  - they seem to have quite a relationship!
knows he needs to get good players ,and importantly, good characters.
has watched the last 4 games - i got the impression from that that he meant in person. that takes it back to the scunts derby, so fits in with the timeline of the May debacle and the consortium spotting their chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
Swansea_Mariner
December 30, 2020, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Good interview, yes I agree looks like a lot of outgoings, with six loan players here that becomes a lot easier though and I'd expect them all to go back when they are allowed to in January.

Exciting times he looks up for the challenge!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
forza ivano
December 30, 2020, 7:54pm

Exile
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Good interview, yes I agree looks like a lot of outgoings, with six loan players here that becomes a lot easier though and I'd expect them all to go back when they are allowed to in January.

Exciting times he looks up for the challenge!

he rather intimated that a number of the players weren't good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Swansea_Mariner
December 30, 2020, 7:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from forza ivano

he rather intimated that a number of the players weren't good enough

Yeah it sounded that way to me too, he was fairly diplomatic about it all, which is always  a nice trait to see. I think we could all pick about a dozen players who are not really up to it so I think he'll be at it pretty quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
forza ivano
December 30, 2020, 8:16pm

Exile
the only thing i do have a slight concern with is his previous history of not playing any youngsters coming through. in his 6.5 years with us, there was only Bradley Wood, Andi Thanoj and Dayle Southwell who played any meaningful amount of games. of them Thanoj and Wood were regular members of the squad prior to his arrival.
it may well be that there was no talent coming through, as we'd lost our Academy due to our non league status, but it's just a concern when we have so many promising youngsters on the cusp
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Perkins
December 30, 2020, 8:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
He has watched the last four matches? wonder why. prior knowledge of events?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
aldi_01
December 30, 2020, 8:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
His comments about said size make sense and he’s not blind to the fact that our squad has some pretty poor players in it.

Getting rid isn’t always easy but we know hurst won’t have any qualms moving folk on that don’t buy in to his approach...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 30, 2020, 8:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If he feels there is a need to bring some players in but he also feels the need to get the squad down to a number he is comfortable working with, that means at least half of the current squad will be out in January one way or another.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
forza ivano
December 30, 2020, 8:27pm

Exile
Quoted from Perkins

yup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 30, 2020, 8:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Perkins

Done deal.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
GollyGTFC
December 30, 2020, 8:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,058
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Perkins

Probably watched Scunny game as had managed both clubs.
Watched Bradford as he was in for the job there.
And watched Town’s last 2 matches after Holloway resigned.

Prior knowledge doesn’t come in to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 22
TownSNAFU5
December 30, 2020, 8:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
“We are not scoring enough goals and conceding too many”,

A definition of a failing team if there ever was one,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2020, 9:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
Liked the dour Yorkshireman comment, he just makes sense but then compared to his predecessors a raving lunatic in a straight jacket sat in their own p1ss would be an improvement.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
lee65
December 30, 2020, 9:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Liked the dour Yorkshireman comment, he just makes sense but then compared to his predecessors a raving lunatic in a straight jacket sat in their own p1ss would be an improvement.

You mean Steve Evans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 30, 2020, 10:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,770
Gold Stars: 81
[quote=1541]“We are not scoring enough goals and conceding too many”,

A definition of a failing team if there ever was one,

[
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
KingstonMariner
December 30, 2020, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Well that sounds alright. Forza Ivano summed it up perfectly.

I’m glad that the outgoing board are working properly with the new team on this.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
arryarryarry
December 30, 2020, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Perkins

I thought he suggested he has seen quite a number of games, not just Town's as he would have been hoping for a new managerial position, he possibly applied for both the Tranmere and Bradford jobs and he will have wanted an idea which players he may want to make a move for.

As a manager/coach he will have access to see every EFL clubs matches through a central website (I can't remember its name) as all clubs have to film and upload a copy of each match.

But then again, he probably knew IH's position was hanging by a thread😉
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
ginnywings
December 30, 2020, 11:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
He said he'd only seen one game live, so I imagine he's got a lot of DVD's to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
toontown
December 30, 2020, 11:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Yeah for all the complaining about his interviews in the past that was like a breath of fresh air compared to what we've had. Stuck to the points, spoke sensibly, made a few wry com ments (liked the one about the agents). However tbf it is probably a lot easier to sound good in such an interview when you don't have the pressure that comes from actually being in charge of games, although maybe he has just lightened up a tad.

Very clearly thinks we have a lot of players who aren't good enough to be in his squad from those comments, and I'm sure we would all agree.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
RonMariner
December 30, 2020, 11:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
How refreshing to have a sane interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
Harry Haddock
December 31, 2020, 12:09am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Perkins

May be some of them weren't live ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
Mayaman
December 31, 2020, 12:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Get ride of players that come on the pitch and stroll around as if they are having an ice cream on Meggies seafront.  urine off Tilley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst and Day have there say

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.