James Morton (loan)
George Williams
Kyle Bennett (loan)
Filipe Morais
Virgil Gomis (loan)
Montel Gibson
Ira Jackson Jr
Sean Scannell

Pre-existing contracts (Maximum League average only)

James McKeown
Sam Russell
Luke Hendrie
Elliott Hewitt
Ludvig Öhman
Luke Waterfall
Harry Clifton
James Tilley
Max Wright
Matt Green
James Hanson

Player exempt from Salary Cap - Under 21

Ollie Battersby
Joey Hope
Duncan Idehen
Mattie Pollock
Danny Preston (loan)
Jock Curran
Cameron Painter
Luke Spokes
Joe Starbuck
Terry Taylor (loan)
Owura Edwards (loan)
Alhagi Touray Sisay
Owen Windsor (loan)

So, we have 18 players who are included in the salary cap. We can have a maximum of 22. Hurst said yesterday that they could sign up to 4 players (over 21) before having to offload some.

We have 11 players left who are exempt (under 21).

So the squad is currently 29 players.

Hurst stated he would like to work with a core sqaud of 20 or so didn't he? You could probably call Battersby, Hope, Idehen, Starbuck, Curran, Painter & Sissay as extras due to their age, so I won't include them as they probably won't feature and might be sent out on loan. But that leaves a squad of 22, so Hurst will probably want to offload a good 5 or do of those remaining to bring in some players.

Who might he get rid of?

Bennett? Scannell? Green? Preston? Williams? Rose?

I think they are the 6 who are probably the most at risk.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 19
ginnywings
January 1, 2021, 10:32am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Think that depends what they show Hurst. Rose and Scannell have been very good players in past seasons. It's whether they still have it and can still produce in a better set up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
Rodley Mariner
January 1, 2021, 10:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Not sure how cheap or easy getting rid or Rose, Scannell or Bennett would be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Bigdog
January 1, 2021, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Here's an update...

Player included in Salary Cap

Bilel Mohsni
Danny Rose
James Morton (loan)
George Williams
Kyle Bennett (loan)
Filipe Morais
Virgil Gomis (loan)
Montel Gibson
Ira Jackson Jr
Sean Scannell

Pre-existing contracts (Maximum League average only)

James McKeown
Sam Russell
Luke Hendrie
Elliott Hewitt
Ludvig Öhman
Luke Waterfall
Harry Clifton
James Tilley
Max Wright
Matt Green
James Hanson

Player exempt from Salary Cap - Under 21

Ollie Battersby
Joey Hope
Duncan Idehen
Mattie Pollock
Danny Preston (loan)
Jock Curran
Cameron Painter
Luke Spokes
Joe Starbuck
Terry Taylor (loan)
Owura Edwards (loan)
Alhagi Touray Sisay
Owen Windsor (loan)

So, we have 18 players who are included in the salary cap. We can have a maximum of 22. Hurst said yesterday that they could sign up to 4 players (over 21) before having to offload some.

We have 11 players left who are exempt (under 21).

So the squad is currently 29 players.

Hurst stated he would like to work with a core sqaud of 20 or so didn't he? You could probably call Battersby, Hope, Idehen, Starbuck, Curran, Painter & Sissay as extras due to their age, so I won't include them as they probably won't feature and might be sent out on loan. But that leaves a squad of 22, so Hurst will probably want to offload a good 5 or do of those remaining to bring in some players.

Who might he get rid of?

Bennett? Scannell? Green? Preston? Williams? Rose?

I think they are the 6 who are probably the most at risk

Depends on the nature of injuries to players..

Bennett - I think Hurst could get more out of him centrally, but he probably is at risk
Scannell - At risk only if injury is going to reduce his game time and effectiveness
Green - At risk, will probably be paid up
Preston - At risk if a better left back can be found and Hurst is happy with cover
Williams - Contract too long, and I'm sure Hurst will think he could get him playing more effectively
Rose - He will stay

Hanson - At risk due to being injury prone. Hurst will need forwards he can trust to be available for selection
Taylor - Depends on what Hurst thinks, there's a player in there but loan players easier to negotiate out of the door
Gomis - Maybe the most obvious one out of the door
Gibson and Jackson - At least one out on loan?

All supposition.. we as fans do not have full information, only what we see on the pitch. Injuries, home life, travel, character, unknown considerations, so expect maybe one or two surprises..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 1, 2021, 10:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,306
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from RonMariner
Based on that, if we send back the three loanees in the cap, we can bring in 6 new players.

That would do nicely.

This assumes that we have the money to do that! (I don't know if we have or haven't).

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
TwoLeftFeet
January 1, 2021, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Still hoping with a more organised team, better coaching and a few more experienced league 2 ready players in the team around them that one or two of the younger players can start to show more.

Spokes, Jackson and Idehen spring to mind as looking like they could have something about them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
GollyGTFC
January 1, 2021, 11:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Bigdog

Depends on the nature of injuries to players..

Bennett - I think Hurst could get more out of him centrally, but he probably is at risk
Scannell - At risk only if injury is going to reduce his game time and effectiveness
Green - At risk, will probably be paid up
Preston - At risk if a better left back can be found and Hurst is happy with cover
Williams - Contract too long, and I'm sure Hurst will think he could get him playing more effectively
Rose - He will stay

Hanson - At risk due to being injury prone. Hurst will need forwards he can trust to be available for selection
Taylor - Depends on what Hurst thinks, there's a player in there but loan players easier to negotiate out of the door
Gomis - Maybe the most obvious one out of the door
Gibson and Jackson - At least one out on loan?

All supposition.. we as fans do not have full information, only what we see on the pitch. Injuries, home life, travel, character, unknown considerations, so expect maybe one or two surprises..

When I said "offload" that includes sending them out on loan to a National League club. So contract length is irrelevant.

Personally I think Hurst will look for an experience centre-back, an experienced left-back, 2 central midfielders, a proper winger & 2 experienced forwards.

We would need to offload another 3 salary cap players to keep within the 22 man squad size if all those new signings were over the age of 21.

Hurst's success at Shrewsbury was based on a 4-1-4-1 formation and not conceding many goals, so that might be the way he goes. But that formation required 2 genuine box to box midfielders who can weigh in with a few goals.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 19
RonMariner
January 1, 2021, 6:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
i think Hewitt did ok at center half. I would play him there and bring in two quality midfield players. We have wide options with Moralis and Wright. We then need two decent forwards to give us a reasonable 4-4-2 with Rose, Scannell, Pollock, and Jackson among others on the bench.

So I think four quality signings will be enough to start turning things around. That is certainly possible within the constraints of the cap and squad limits, and Hurst has conformed that funds are available.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Mikey_345
January 1, 2021, 6:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 108
I saw at start of the season we had registered Ben Davies. Hopefully we’ve undone that by now, no offence as I like a Ben I think he’d even admit he’s retired now!

But if we haven’t that would take up another slot within the salary cap rules.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Cambridgefish
January 2, 2021, 10:58am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Personally I think Hurst will look for an experience centre-back, an experienced left-back, 2 central midfielders, a proper winger & 2 experienced forwards.

Hurst's success at Shrewsbury was based on a 4-1-4-1 formation and not conceding many goals, so that might be the way he goes. But that formation required 2 genuine box to box midfielders who can weigh in with a few goals.

So we have a squad of 29 players. We need just need these seven and we'll be OK. Meanwhile all the players we've been slagging off on here for months will be snapped up by somebody else.

All whilst COVID has reduced our income to zero.

We football fans are funny creatures, aren't we?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Wage Cap

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.