Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January - what needs to happen?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 165 Guests

January - what needs to happen?

This thread currently has 4,321 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
denni266
December 31, 2020, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Ollie droped us right in the crap with most of his players he signed  loan or other wise .. We need a half team revamp and its not going to be easy . He should not be allowed near any football club after his last 6 months
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
December 31, 2020, 11:21am
Guest User
The only thing I would say about Macca, is that if he has been coached to improve his command of the penalty area, it's not working!
Reply: 21 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 31, 2020, 11:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 123614
The only thing I would say about Macca, is that if he has been coached to improve his command of the penalty area, it's not working!

Can’t see the point in spending money on a keeper, loan or otherwise, just now. Macca given the freedom to play as he has always done is good enough for the rest of this season. He’s a confidence keeper. Just forget trying to turn him into Dino Zoff.

Easy enough to sit here and make wish lists. Hurst himself says he has to thin down the squad and that he likes a smaller squad. He also said he needs to bring in a few. So that means at least half the current squad has to leave one way or another very quickly. I doubt if more than 5 or 6 have impressed enough to be considered good enough for next season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Gainsbro_Mariner
December 31, 2020, 11:55am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
I feel if there is an opportunity to usher Matt Green out the door in some way then that needs to happen. He must be one of the highest earners and as much as I have defended him in the past he just isn't the player he was at Lincoln, let alone Mansfield. Getting rid of him would I hope free up some wage space to bring in a better suited forward. I cannot see Green playing at this level once he leaves, he has just lost that edge and that killer touch in front of goal.

Assuming Hanson goes as per Poojah's original post then you'd also have another gap.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see Scannell again. He has shown flashes of brilliance when fit but I wouldn't be shocked if he leaves via mutual consent.

Going back to the original post I think it's safe to say I expect all loan players to go back except like you say Preston and Edwards.

I'm unsure how many players we need in the door but we need to flush out the deadwood and replace it quickly with a better calibre of player. It's a huge task and I don't envy the slog Hurst will have to put in over the next month.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
lee65
December 31, 2020, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Lots to do and I doubt it will all get done in Jan.

For me,

- Send back all the loans apart from Preston and Edwards
- Loan out Sisay and Ira
- Review the Hanson situation with a possible pay off, I've resisted this but it now makes sense.  
- Add a decent back up keeper but for now Macca should be first choice.
- 1 x CB
- 1 x Utility Defender
- 1 x Ball winner in mid field
- 1 x Bal passer in mid field
- 1 x Big tall lump up front,
- 1 x Goal hanger    

One other decision, do we benefit from a keeper captain or not? Then give him the back room team he needs.

- 1 x Goal hanger“

I love these definitions, made me laugh out loud  , but so true!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
TownSNAFU5
December 31, 2020, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,906
Gold Stars: 42
It is a worry about where the goals will come from.  Especially if our leading scorer is sold this month.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Marinerdan
December 31, 2020, 12:41pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from lee65

- 1 x Goal hanger“

I love these definitions, made me laugh out loud  , but so true!

It reminds me of Bob Mortimer’s song about Steve Mclaren’s tactics!

[url] https://youtu.be/4VK2efdI92I[/url]

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
MuddyWaters
December 31, 2020, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Just had a feeling that Hanson didn't want to play for Holloway - don't know why - but his return wouldn't be a big surprise. Imagine a front two of Hanson and Amond eh?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
December 31, 2020, 12:50pm
Guest User
Having read this thread - and without wishing to p*ss on anyone's parade - one thing that needs to happen is for us fans
to put a 'realism cap' on our expectations. It won't be easy for PH to attract the better quality players we need...
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January - what needs to happen?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.