4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
January 4, 2021, 12:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Hollowhead I was informed was going to buy enough shares from Fenty and maybe pay off his loans to own the club once he finished with management.

Once Fent y agreed to sell his shares and have his loan paid off by our saviours  that deal was off hence the quick exit.

If Fenty  and Hollowhead stayed and carried on with their agreement we would be playing in the conference next season.

Happening now gives Hurst a chance to save us from that but he has been delt a bad hand with the amount of poor players he has been left with.

Paul will be happy with 18 senior players with the youths backing them up well if he brings in 3 or 4 players that means he has to off load about a dozen players.

The only bright note is most of them are out of contract at the end of the season.

Who would be a football manager  ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Croxton
January 4, 2021, 12:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Be great to know....who do people think it was

Tondeur
Findlater
Trust Board

can't see past the above to be honest.

Speculation can only do harm to the cause. The ITK'S and bright sparks who already know are keeping their counsel. So should we all at this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Azimuth
January 4, 2021, 12:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61

Wise words from the lady there LCL

At the time of Holloway’s appointment we had just dispensed with the services of another rather younger PR mad manager. I have to admit gullibility here because I felt Holloway was going to be a figurehead on the football side, more a Director of Football than a manager. Last season that appeared to be what happened to a large extent. Limbrick was the coach and Ollie the public face.

It went pear shaped when furloughs began and especially when Limbrick went. Then the targets Ollie wanted in the summer declined his invitations and he was left with the lesser lights who were supposed to be bit part players. That was never going to work and in this Jan window Ollie would have had to do like Hurst, chop out the rot and get some new growth.

What I find hard to understand is Ollie’s part in the Fenty business. Over the past few months he will have seen his plans destroyed by Fenty cuts but has blamed Covid at every opportunity rather than the club’s reaction to it. Only when the Mayhem began did Ollie drift away from loyalty to Fenty and that leaves unanswered questions about how much Ollie knew of the Fenty/May plans and how much he knew about the consortium speaking with Hurst.

It is water under the bridge of course, new era, new start, New Fishy and all that. But sometime in the future I have a feeling a lot more may emerge about Town Centre Development, the new BP and regeneration meetings with officers and councillors.

My gut feeling is that Holloway was up to his neck in fentys dealings with May and his sudden dissapearing act was to save his face and reputation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 4, 2021, 1:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Azimuth

My gut feeling is that Holloway was up to his neck in fentys dealings with May and his sudden dissapearing act was to save his face and reputation.

Allegedly.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Welwynmariner
January 4, 2021, 1:46pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Limbrick had far more to do with Town's improvement and then it went downhill after he left (presumably he was dismissed?). Only my opinion but I thought he was good news.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
mariner83
January 4, 2021, 1:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Mayaman
He wrote an article previously on his time at Town.  Basically, he said when he signed for us he hated the idea,  We were beneath.  But during his time , he changed his opinion.  He realised how much it all meant to the fans and he by the end he loved pulling on the shirt and wearing those black and white stripes. He had me tearing up.

I didn’t really want to sign for Grimsby Town. I’d played in the Football League — in all three tiers beneath the Premier League — for more than a decade. Dropping out of the professional ranks into the National League was, if I’m honest, a bit of a dent to my pride. An unfashionable town on the north Lincolnshire coast wasn’t the most alluring place to play, but it was all there was.

Grimsby, however, as vividly as any of the six clubs I represented during my career, showed me just what a football club means to its town. To its people. Not all of them of course. But as a place where people congregate in their hundreds or thousands, a central pillar of a community, nothing comes close in provincial towns.

When I joined in 2015, the Mariners had fallen on hard times. They had been exiled from the Football League for five years. Yet every week thousands of supporters criss-crossed the country to watch us in places like Dover, Eastleigh, Halifax, Wrexham — all of whom had their own loyal fanbases — or packed out Blundell Park, the club’s home of 121 years.

When we lost in the play-off final at Wembley that year, they came together to raise£100,000 which was gifted towards the club’s playing budget, and drove us to go one better the following year. Their dedication was extraordinary. Since then, travelling around the country to write The Journeyman column in these pages reaffirmed that their passion, their sense of shared history, are mirrored at clubs across the English football pyramid — the pyramid upon which the Premier League was built, and which now finds its foundations under threat.

Yesterday’s announcement that supporters are unlikely to be allowed inside stadiums for as many as six months will be acutely felt at every level of the game, but for clubs in the National League it may prove fatal. Without fans in attendance, the fifth and sixth tiers, which are scheduled to kick-off on October 3, simply cannot begin. What that means for its clubs, players and staff does not bear thinking about.

National League central funding amounts to just £90,000 per club. There is no online streaming service, such as the EFL’s iFollow platform, to fill diminishing coffers in the National League. No fat TV contract, and by the time Premier League solidarity payments roll down the hill this far they barely register. Clubs at this level rely upon not only ticket sales but takings from hospitality, hiring out function suites — all of which have been decimated.

Putting football, and even the loss of jobs to one side for a moment, the demise of local clubs will have tangible societal repercussions. Take Dagenham & Redbridge, for example, whose managing director Steve Thompson recently listed to me all the ways in which their facilities are used: a deaf society, a diabetic society, a renal society, a local branch of the Royal Naval Association, children’s dance and jiu jitsu lessons, local football leagues, a pensioners’ club, a bereavement club, a weight watchers’ club, a model railway club, community police and ward meetings — all take place at Victoria Road. And again, these community hubs are mirrored across the country.

Without a support package from the government, or the Premier League — and quite frankly we are at the point where it does not matter where it comes from — clubs in Leagues One and Two will not be immune from the effects of no match-day revenue. Reliant upon the extent to which owners are willing or able to fund losses that, pre-Covid, already averaged £1.3 million and £800,000 per club per year respectively. Salary caps of £2.5 million and £1.5 million will do nothing to staunch the wound in the weeks and months ahead.

If, as a supporter of a Premier League club, you see the loss of these clubs as collateral damage in these perilous times, then remember that 17 of Gareth Southgate’s 23-man England squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia played in the EFL in their formative years. That Harry Kane, the England captain, chose in May to sponsor Leyton Orient, the Sky Bet League Two club with whom he made his professional debut on loan from Spurs as a teenager in 2011, demonstrates how valuable he believes that experience was in shaping the player he is today.

But lower league clubs are much more than just a breeding ground for talent and future Premier League stars. They are central to so many lives — and they must be protected.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
January 4, 2021, 2:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Gregor Robertson. A former player who gets it.

Decent player and a decent writer too.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
forza ivano
January 4, 2021, 2:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Be great to know....who do people think it was

Tondeur
Findlater
Trust Board

can't see past the above to be honest.

Tondeur to Findlater to Griffiths is my guess. But who tipped the wink to Tondeur?

Well that's something we could discuss all Day  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
KingstonMariner
January 4, 2021, 4:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Gregor Robertson. A former player who gets it.

Decent player and a decent writer too.

And not the only one. Witness Gary Cohen calling out Runaway’s claims in Soccer AM.

https://mobile.twitter.com/G_D_Cohen/status/1345829910250725377

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
RonMariner
January 4, 2021, 7:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
The disappointment I feel with Holloway is so immense because of the optimism his arrival generated.

This is a guy who had taken two teams into the premier league. I don't think we have ever appointed a manger with such a track record.

But look at how he has left us. Ok, so he lost players when the season ended. But when he arrived he told us his phone was melting  with players keen to join the club. With his contacts, you would think a turnover of players would be a good thing as it would enable him to leverage his contacts to bring in quality players.

But in fact he has left us with a bloated squad of mediocre players, clearly not good enough for L2. With the exception of Moralis I don't think any of his signings have impressed.  The stats this season speak for themselves and I wont rehash them here. The performances under him were dreadful, some of the team selections, tactics and substitutions chaotic.  

He wanted to build a legacy. But it now falls to Paul Hurst to save the club from relegation.

I was so happy a year ago when he joined. But now I am just relieved that he has gone.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gregor Robertson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.