2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
January 7, 2021, 4:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I was sorry to see Charles Vernam go but he has not done too well at Burton only scoring 2 goals. And this is after playing 15 games. So one goal every 521 minutes (about 6 matches) He has had 17 shots so his accurancy on goal is not great either at 12 per cent.

At Town he scored six - three of which at Colchester when he was on fire.

What he may have done at Town it unknown but, at the moment, he has not fared too well at Burton. And I know we would be very happy with a striker who scored a goal every six games but we need better than that.

ps sorry if you thought Vernam was coming back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
golfer
January 7, 2021, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
He only stayed as long as he did because The Old Codger paid his wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Boris Johnson
January 7, 2021, 6:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
In fairness he wasn’t that prolific prior to that mini run with us.

On the periphery of things as well.

Took the better offer. Like many players it’s only the cash that talks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
arryarryarry
January 7, 2021, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MarinerRob
I was sorry to see Charles Vernam go but he has not done too well at Burton only scoring 2 goals. And this is after playing 15 games. So one goal every 521 minutes (about 6 matches) He has had 17 shots so his accurancy on goal is not great either at 12 per cent.

At Town he scored six - three of which at Colchester when he was on fire.

What he may have done at Town it unknown but, at the moment, he has not fared too well at Burton. And I know we would be very happy with a striker who scored a goal every six games but we need better than that.

ps sorry if you thought Vernam was coming back.

Perhaps you should read up what the Burton fans think of him, after they lost 1-5 at home to Oxford some were very complimentary about CV one even said that of all the crap players who played he would only keep two, one was CV.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
MarinerRob
January 7, 2021, 7:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Well, he certainly has something. As I say I would have liked him to stay with Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
pizzzza
January 7, 2021, 7:32pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
He's not an out and out striker though is he so maybe a little unfair to judge him solely on goals. Also Burton have been shite this season so I expect scoring chances to be limited.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
TAGG
January 7, 2021, 7:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
I have watched Burton a couple of times earlier this season and everything went though Vernam.
Both games I watched he was mom cutting in from the wing or through midfield.

Just recent they have been playing him as a striker which I don't think has been going so well.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
GollyGTFC
January 8, 2021, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
With respect to CV, he was pretty useless for the first 2 years he was with us. It was clear he had some talent, but he failed to deliver it even on a semi-regular basis. He had 2 great months for us under Ollie and moved on. He shouldn't be a big loss based on his achievements over 2 and a half year at Town. Unfortunately our recruitment after he left was so atrocious that even him at the level he performed at for the first 2 years at GTFC would make him a regular starter and key player at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 15
diehardmariner
January 8, 2021, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Never had Vernam down as an out-an-out striker or indeed a goalscorer.

What he did offer was the ability to draw players towards him and then ghost past them, freeing up space for team-mates.

Bradford away was an example of what he could really offer.  Everything was going through him down that left flank and Bradford simply couldn't handle him.  Hendrie's equaliser came simply because Bradford focused so much on trying to stop Vernam, ultimately failing, which allowed him others space.

I still maintain he was a big loss.  But the loss of Billy Clarke was bigger.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
quebec38
January 8, 2021, 11:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Holloway didn’t do much for us but he did a lot for Vernam it would seem. CV deserves a lot more respect from me than to call him a one trick pony but defenders should have been on to his main aim pretty early on (cutting in from the left and getting a shot off). Doing this at pace saw many attempts wide or over so not surprised to see his accuracy is low or his number of goals, also don’t forget he has gone up a division.

He’s definitely L1 or top L2 quality for me at the very least. When he first arrived for Derby and played in behind the centre forward you could see his ability on the ball and confidence. Poor management over time knocked that out of him completely and thankfully we saw it return after Christmas last year.

Shame we ballsed it up keeping him here as he is exactly what every side wants in this division that is aiming for promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam scoring record

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.