5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
January 29, 2021, 2:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Coke and John Lewis? Sounds like a compromise when me and the missus can't agree about what to do on a Saturday.
Sorry, hopefully we don't sign him so you don't have to read these terrible jokes anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
diehardmariner
January 29, 2021, 2:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
In the absence of the queues packed with quality Championship standard players without a club that are kicking Hurst's down to play for us, we were always going to end up paying a fee for at least a few of the 6-8 Hurst identified.

We're absolutely desperate, you only have to take a quick glance at the league table and our form to see how desperate we are.  Hereford aren't stupid, they know this so will quite rightly hold us to account on wanting a couple of their players.  I think it would be a bit arrogant to suggest we shouldn't pay a fee just because the players are coming from Hereford.  

Whatever level they're at, we want them and Hereford hold their registrations.  Their age and injury records are irrelevant.  
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
pontoonlew
January 29, 2021, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from diehardmariner
In the absence of the queues packed with quality Championship standard players without a club that are kicking Hurst's down to play for us, we were always going to end up paying a fee for at least a few of the 6-8 Hurst identified.

We're absolutely desperate, you only have to take a quick glance at the league table and our form to see how desperate we are.  Hereford aren't stupid, they know this so will quite rightly hold us to account on wanting a couple of their players.  I think it would be a bit arrogant to suggest we shouldn't pay a fee just because the players are coming from Hereford.  

Whatever level they're at, we want them and Hereford hold their registrations.  Their age and injury records are irrelevant.  

We shouldn't be paying a fee because both are over 30 with bad injury records. If we're talking about paying fee's, then we open up a hell of a lot more options for ourselves. Paying a transfer fee for either seems absolutely bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
ska face
January 29, 2021, 2:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Isn’t the fee likely to be in the same region as what we were just fined for playing darts, or for not controlling the fans V Pirt Vale? Don’t think he’s going to be knocking Lee Ashcroft off the top of the record transfers.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
diehardmariner
January 29, 2021, 2:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from pontoonlew

We shouldn't be paying a fee because both are over 30 with bad injury records. If we're talking about paying fee's, then we open up a hell of a lot more options for ourselves. Paying a transfer fee for either seems absolutely bizarre.

It's basic supply and demand.  They have something that we want. They're not going to give it away for nothing.

If these were players that we were pinning our summer recruitment on, I would agree with you regards fees.  But it's not.  We're days away from the window shutting and I think it's fair to say that Hurst has struggled to bring players in.  

I've absolutely no issue in paying (what will be a very nominal fee) for a couple of players who Hurst has identified as having a role to play in our survival.  It's all about staying up.  People brought in for very specific purposes.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
MarinerMal
January 29, 2021, 2:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
We'd best make sure Coke is given penalty duties, apparently, he doesn't like other people taking them...  

Bury's Giles Coke refuses to relinquish penalty kick to team captain and designated spot kick-taker Steven Schumacher in game v Yeovil on Jan 21, 2012.

[youtube]CKpsWkUELyM[/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
pontoonlew
January 29, 2021, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's basic supply and demand.  They have something that we want. They're not going to give it away for nothing.

If these were players that we were pinning our summer recruitment on, I would agree with you regards fees.  But it's not.  We're days away from the window shutting and I think it's fair to say that Hurst has struggled to bring players in.  

I've absolutely no issue in paying (what will be a very nominal fee) for a couple of players who Hurst has identified as having a role to play in our survival.  It's all about staying up.  People brought in for very specific purposes.

I'm openly against the idea of signing LJL so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, however;

Last week we were apparently signing LJL for backup purposes (which is absolutely all it should be). So in what world should we be paying money for LJL to sit on our bench? If we're willing to pay a fee, there will be loads of players available. Hell, the leagues below are so skint they can't afford to carry on playing so we have a host of options available to us, why on earth would we spend it on a 30 something with a very poor record in the football league?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
ginnywings
January 29, 2021, 2:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Christ, were probably talking a few thousand here: sodomist all in the grand scheme. It's a sellers market with 3 days left of the window.

Why shouldn't we pay a fee for a 31 year old anyway?He's hardly ancient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
pontoonlew
January 29, 2021, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Christ, were probably talking a few thousand here: sodomist all in the grand scheme. It's a sellers market with 3 days left of the window.

Why shouldn't we pay a fee for a 31 year old anyway?He's hardly ancient.

Okay I'll ask you this, if you took the name off the CV and simply looked at - What type of player he is, his track record, his age, the level of clubs played for and current level playing at.

Would you even entertain the idea of paying a fee for him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
oochiad
January 29, 2021, 3:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Is it the fishy with speculation that we’re paying for LJL? Someone saying we probably haven’t offered enough or some such like?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Coke and John Lewis

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.