10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 31, 2021, 3:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If a defender is not "switched on" then it is the GK's job to press the button, doubly so if the GK is also the captain. Could he not see the danger from miles away? I think everyone else could.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 93
DB
January 31, 2021, 3:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't think most of the shower are good enough to compete in this league and it's not just Macca that has cost us points, the back four and others have been absolute cack.

We haven't had a defence or attack and when the midfield line up along the half way line they are very good at finding the dressing room. Enough said.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 93
Poojah
January 31, 2021, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,766
Gold Stars: 1,515
I’m reluctant to criticise Macca because he has undoubtedly committed much emotional energy to the GTFC cause in what is very nearly 10 years at the club. It’s rare these days that players spend such a long time at one club, certainly outside of the very top level, but looking at it objectively it’s an indictment as much as it is an achievement.

He’s fallen into that ‘Goldilocks zone’ of never good enough to have earned a move away, never bad enough to have been moved on. However, his longevity has probably played a role in some of his more recent contractual extensions - I’m not sure a less ingrained player would have been seen as so indispensable.

He’s been a good servant, no doubt about that. But despite his tenure and accounting for the level we’ve been at, if you were to have a conversation about the best pound-for-pound keepers to have played for the club, I don’t think he gets anywhere near the conversation. He’s been between the sticks for roughly a third of my time following Town, and I can still think of Coyne, Beasant, Davison and even the likes of Paul Crichton who would be ahead of him.

I said when Hurst arrived that a replacement was urgently needed, no matter how difficult a call to make that might be on an emotional level. Regrettably, it may now be too late.

Absolutely up there as one of the most likeable players to have played for the club in my 30 years watching Town. But only an average goalkeeper, and not good enough for the situation we find ourselves in right now. And it genuinely hurts me to say that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 93
GrimRob
January 31, 2021, 4:11pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,451
Gold Stars: 115
I think the problem is the opposition kicking off after a Town goal is such an unusual event the team had never trained for it and quite a few players on the pitch had never experienced it in their career at the club to date.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 93
RonMariner
January 31, 2021, 5:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,821
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimRob
I think the problem is the opposition kicking off after a Town goal is such an unusual event the team had never trained for it and quite a few players on the pitch had never experienced it in their career at the club to date.

I think it was also an absence of leadership on the pitch.

How often have we seen a captain geeing up all the players immediately after a goal scored either for or against. A good captain would have been going around shouting at the players to get their act together ready for the restart.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 93
TownSNAFU5
January 31, 2021, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Captain?  Macca has never led even in his own 6 yard box.  Hard to say but sentiment will not keep us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 93
coddy60
January 31, 2021, 6:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Just one game, but there were 4 examples which spring to mind from yesterday's match of how he has not improved over his time with us, and like some say, probably gone backwards.
The cross he pulled his arm away from, which then hit the bar.
A half arsed cross which needed claiming, about 4 foot off the ground on edge of 6 yard box which he let the defender put out for a corner, putting us under unnecessary pressure.
The abysmal handball outside of the box, yet more pressure.
And the pièce de résistance, when he didn't have the balls to wipe out both players and take that bouncing ball at the end, standard fayre for most pro keepers.
I have always appreciated what he brings to the team, but how can he carry on as captain when he cant command his team in his own area, never mind the pitch?
His best days may not be quite behind him, but the only consistent thing he's brought to the table this season have been his mistakes, and a spell away from the coal face may do him the world of good, his judgement calls are urine poor.
Whether that is a permanent thing or just for a while is up to the manager, obviously, but his confidence and form are frazzled, and it needs to happen now imho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 93
lee65
January 31, 2021, 7:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
You’ll never get a great all-round keeper at lg2 level (apart from loans of young future stars like Henderson)
Macca over the years has made “wonder” saves on many occasions, but I think this is totally negated by lack of command and domination in the box, and the number of times he gets beaten from free kicks around the edge of the box, and I don’t think this can be “coached” out of him now.

Poojah lists a number of keepers who were better than Macca overall, and for presence in the area I’d add Mildenhall and Barnes to that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 93
golfer
January 31, 2021, 8:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Captain?  Macca has never led even in his own 6 yard box.  Hard to say but sentiment will not keep us up.

Are you fivestarfish by any chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 93
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2021, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
According to Humberside we have agreed to take a Sheff Utd. keeper.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New keeper Monday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.