toontown
January 31, 2021, 1:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano
i'd agree much of what Tommy said. he looked a lot more visible/effective today but as was said, he took a lot of corners and i don't think any of them carried any danger.
the other thing, apart from the really badly misplaced passes, that i noticed was the suicidal nature of many of his passes, which he actually got away with today. I think i saw at least 3 passes across the 20-25 yard 'line' that he got away with.All were close to being intercepted and if it had gone wrong we were in serious trouble.

Actually thinking about it i may have put my finger on the central problem.
There are too many players who are a disaster waiting to happen. They can play pretty well, but the mistakes that they almost inevitably make are totally disastrous. Rose, Waterfall, Pollock, McKeown are all the guilty parties, and its not like its just isolated incidents - it's game after game Menayese looks like he's a new addition to that club - 2 games and 2-3 awful mistakes. add into that Preston and Green who are just  totally inadequate and it's no wonder we struggle

Absolutely agreed.

Also agree about the nature of Rose passes often being near suicidal we can't afford that when we score so few goals. He is a bit of a summmerfield in a different way. For me go solid and difficult to beat and build from there and that means dropping Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Mayaman
January 31, 2021, 1:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from forza ivano
i'd agree much of what Tommy said. he looked a lot more visible/effective today but as was said, he took a lot of corners and i don't think any of them carried any danger.
the other thing, apart from the really badly misplaced passes, that i noticed was the suicidal nature of many of his passes, which he actually got away with today. I think i saw at least 3 passes across the 20-25 yard 'line' that he got away with.All were close to being intercepted and if it had gone wrong we were in serious trouble.

Actually thinking about it i may have put my finger on the central problem.
There are too many players who are a disaster waiting to happen. They can play pretty well, but the mistakes that they almost inevitably make are totally disastrous. Rose, Waterfall, Pollock, McKeown are all the guilty parties, and its not like its just isolated incidents - it's game after game Menayese looks like he's a new addition to that club - 2 games and 2-3 awful mistakes. add into that Preston and Green who are just  totally inadequate and it's no wonder we struggle

Agreed.  Making mistakes inevitable at this level but we make too many and teams capitalize on them.  The problem is that when the opposition makes mistakes, which they invariably do, we have been too far off the play or too slow to react to make the most of it.   On the plus side, we didn't give away so many fouls today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
arryarryarry
January 31, 2021, 3:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Tommy
I think at times today he looked better, playing with 2 new lads in central midfield who can actually play football.

However, despite him making more successful passes ( 68 ) than anyone on the pitch today, sone of the ones he gave away were really sloppy, including the awful one for their 1st goal. Several other passes that would have been classed as successful passes were still actually poor passes.

The other thing was I thought he wasted plenty of opportunities to put a quality ball into the box. We had Hanson, Pollock, Waterfall & Menayese all in the box on plenty of occasions either for free kicks or corners, and we didn't seem to have one decent delivery yet Rose continued to take them all.

Can't hammer him for lack of pace or energy. He was never going to have that any more. But what really kills us is his lack of basic mobility. Players can glide past him and he cant turn or change direction quick enough to do anything about it.

To be honest I haven't been impressed with him from the start of the season. He probably saw more of the ball in the first half than he has seen in most of the season, but far too many sidewards or backwards passing.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
January 31, 2021, 10:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Given his career, his performances have, in the main been  poor and the mistakes he makes inexcusable for a player of his experience.

Considering the level of criticism Clifton gets (a player incidentally that gets shuffled all around the pitch to do a job our 'first choices' can't) I'm surprised his continued inclusion in one position, his actual position, doesn't get questioned more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
ginnywings
January 31, 2021, 10:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Definitely been a good player down the years and one used to operating in better teams. I don't think his age is a factor, but that we are a team playing on the back foot more than he is used to. He has never settled into a groove, but that could be said of a lot of our players.

It's down to Hurst and Doig to decide whether he still has the right stuff to be in the matchday squad, but we don't seem to have an obvious replacement at the club. Hewitt or Clifton maybe, but both have their limitations and can be prone to the same failings.

Either we bring someone else in, which leaves us 1 day to do so, or we stick with him and hope he gets some consistency in his game.

Don't know what sort of player Coke is, or whether he is earmarked for that spot?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
TAGG
January 31, 2021, 10:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
He was good in the first half, got his foot in and played some good football.
Second half he was excrement.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 31, 2021, 11:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
So we go back to the arguments about OH wanting to play from the back. At this level with this quality of player you concentrate on keeping the danger area free from danger and work from there. No square passes, no hospital passes, make Row Z your 12th player and give him the ball while you regroup.

I don’t like it but I think we need a dose of Hurst Mk One, missing out the midfield if danger threatens and playing down the channels to the strikers. Play pretty passing in their half not ours.

I also think we desperately need a change of keeper.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Nutsy
January 31, 2021, 11:48am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
It really irks me the fact that with Idris and Mateta combined with Hessenthaler would have been absolutely lethal at this level.

We need an engine (doesn’t even need to be young and run around a lot-  an experience pro who won’t shirk tackles would be nice) to go with the two loanees and we will suddenly have a midfield that won’t be passed off the pitch every game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
LocalLadGTFC
January 31, 2021, 1:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 138
I'd imagine Giles Coke will take his place, tough tackling centre midfielder who will probably be our shithouse. Anyone that has watched him in his career will tell you that he's an anus to play against and exactly what we're missing in that midfield, someone with a bit of bite.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 20
toontown
January 31, 2021, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from TAGG
He was good in the first half, got his foot in and played some good football.
Second half he was excrement.

Thats cos we went a goal down.
I think playing in a side thats a goal down doesn't suit him to be honest. He gets the ball and works it sideways or diagonally. Keeps it ticking over. Fine when its 0-0 as the other team are a bit further forward and it can work them off balance a bit. When they went 1-0 up they are more defensively solid and his balls just work it around in front of them. Not so bad if he's ina better team giving it to players who have pace or skill to break the lines but we don't have much of that. Suppose matete and Wright would help with that. But on the other hand he arguably needs 2 others in the middle with him which then doesn't leave room for wright.

He also takes risks with those balls and our defenders don't have the pace to rescue situations and we can't score more than 1 anyway so a goal against is a disaster. He is also not the best for staying composed in and around his own box.

Probably improves our play when we're not behind but he comes with risks.

Overall not the sort of player we need at the moment in my opinion. Might suit our side if we're a couple of goals ahead, so a bit of a niche position for this town team really.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Rose

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.