Youngy
January 31, 2021, 10:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings
The new striker scored on his debut. When did that last happen?

Ira Jackson Junior scored on his league debut off the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
blundellpork
January 31, 2021, 10:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Youngy

Ira Jackson Junior scored on his league debut off the bench

Could add Kayden Jackson and Adi Yussuf in recent years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
Mariner93er
January 31, 2021, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I feel for Hurst because I think he set the team up well yesterday. We were on the front foot for most of the match, and pressed really well. It’s just 2 individual errors made that you can’t legislate for. I think we’ll see this formation used again, and hopefully we’ll build up a bit of cohesion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
ginnywings
January 31, 2021, 10:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree with what you say and there is still hope, one thing you also note which appears correct there is not much difference between the top half and bottom half of this league but there is a difference between this Town side and the rest of the league, apart from a couple of decent away performances so far we've been really poor.

There is 20 games left but we need 30 points, when the Scunts where in that position Cox went on record saying that they needed 10 wins, they've got 3 of that 10 in the last week. What is our club's mindset "games left" or "points required"?    

We still have hope but we need to start winning games at the moment it appears we can't stop losing them.  

Yes we have, no denying that. But having been poor, doesn't mean we will continue to be poor.

Nobody knows how many wins or points are needed, but we only need to get 1 more than 2 other teams. The league table shows that there are 4 teams that have won only 5 games, with us being one of those. Stevenage only got to 5 wins yesterday courtesy of a massive clanger from us, yet they are 6th in the form table and rising. They weren't massively better than us and it could have gone 2-1 the other way with a bit of luck.

There are too many games and variables to be certain who will end up in the bottom 2. As long as we don't get cut adrift, we can get out of this. We have the time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
moosey_club
January 31, 2021, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,301
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from 140381
We’re nowhere near adrift yet. Others will get pulled in.

Get pulled in ?  How ?  To do that we have to get some points first.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
TAGG
January 31, 2021, 11:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 140381
The Barrow game being postponed may well be huge for us.

Best result we've had this season  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
LouthMariner
January 31, 2021, 11:55am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
We had no luck again yesterday. Everything fell just right for Stevenage and both their goals had an element of fortune to capitalize on what were mistakes by us. All teams make mistakes, even the best ones, but they definitely got the rub of the green on both occasions. I bet Matete is still running that chance he put past he post through his head this morning and he also got an assist. The new striker scored on his debut. When did that last happen?

I tend not to look at league positions, but what form teams are in. Mansfield, Bradford and yesterdays opponents Stevenage are now in the top six and all of them were at the bottom end like us not so long ago. Barrow are 9th, having won three of their last 6 and Scunny have shot up to 10th. Newport and Colchester are now 22nd and 23rd, just above us. Exeter are also dropping rapidly.

There isn't a lot between top and bottom in this division and most fans are thinking because we are down at the wrong end and haven't picked up points against teams down there, that we can't pick up points against others higher up the division, but we can I believe.

Hurst has had to rebuild mid season with a dodgy transfer window and it takes time to sort things out. When asked yesterday if there would be some more signings, he said yes emphatically, so I think there will be one or two more through the door and we can then concentrate on what we have and start to get some consistency going.

Other teams have found a bit of form and I believe we will get better once everything settles down. We are not yet cut adrift, so a win here and there can see you rise quickly. Jolley had far fewer games and no transfer window to work with and he managed it, despite his lack of experience.

I refuse to accept we are doomed with 20 games yet to go.

Love your optimism, I wish I could find some myself. The problem is we haven't won in 8 games and only 1 win in 14. We simply can't win games, how are we going to keep in touch?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
ginnywings
January 31, 2021, 12:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LouthMariner

Love your optimism, I wish I could find some myself. The problem is we haven't won in 8 games and only 1 win in 14. We simply can't win games, how are we going to keep in touch?

Not optimism as such, just law of averages. Despite how bad we have been, we are not cut adrift, and I think we can only get better with the new players bedding in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
chipsandgravy
January 31, 2021, 12:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Thought I would leave a period of reflection from yesterday. Take away the emotion of the late goal (if we can) and I thought for the first time there were more positives than negatives.
Matete was class throughout and set up Payne for the winner but could have had a couple himself. Jackson did ok - showed plenty of energy and linked up well. Think there is a footballer in there but his first touch must get better. The new lad looked promising and looks like more to come. My only gripe was that I thought Habergham looked like he was treading water from about 30 minutes and should have come off at half time. A couple more signings, a fit Morais and Scannel and 20 games to go. You've got to have hope havent you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
arryarryarry
January 31, 2021, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mariner93er
I feel for Hurst because I think he set the team up well yesterday. We were on the front foot for most of the match, and pressed really well. It’s just 2 individual errors made that you can’t legislate for. I think we’ll see this formation used again, and hopefully we’ll build up a bit of cohesion.

I'm not sure what being on the front foot means when our only effort on target in the second half was the goal in injury time

Second half we were crap whichever foot we were on.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hope

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.