Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside - is it worth the hassle?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 153 Guests

Offside - is it worth the hassle?

This thread currently has 4,855 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 25, 2021, 8:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
When I was at school our centre half used to stand on the goal line smoking a Woodbine with the goalie  - so nobody was ever offside     P.S.  It was a posh school so the teacher told him off - for not using an ash tray.

I went to a posh school too, but we smoked fags at the football. It was a centuries old tradition. That is until the bloody do-gooder social workers turned up and stopped it when one of the fags ended up in hospital.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
KingstonMariner
March 25, 2021, 8:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
When I was at school our centre half used to stand on the goal line smoking a Woodbine with the goalie  - so nobody was ever offside     P.S.  It was a posh school so the teacher told him off - for not using an ash tray.

I went to a posh school too, but we smoked fags at the football. It was a centuries old tradition. That is until the bloody do-gooder social workers turned up and stopped it when one of the fags ended up in hospital.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
TownSNAFU5
March 25, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Indirect story about being offside.

Playing Football at Mablethorpe Primary School in the freezing, bitterly cold winter of 1963.  Wearing only shorts and a thin top.  No gloves in those days.

The chill northerly winds blowing straight off the North Sea.  The only thing stopping it since leaving Siberia was a group of skinny kids.  No fat kids then either.

We shivered and hated the cold.  Probably illegal now.  Made Blundell Park look like the Bahamas for a midweek night match.  

As soon as the PE teacher went to get a cup of hot tea we went to hide in the very long grass along side the pitch. Anything to escape the chill wind.

No one was offside as no one was on the pitch. We ran out when we saw him coming back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
grimsby pete
March 25, 2021, 12:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
They should use the same rule as when the ball is over the line.

The whole of the ball must have crossed the line so the whole of his body should be offside not just his toe or his hand.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 25, 2021, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I think the offside rule needs changingb so the marker is more like 30 yards from goal rather than halfway line, might open it up a little more but wouldn't get silly, also easier for the linesmen to keep up.

If we adopt that approach I would advocate offside only beyond the 18 yard line which would extend to the full width of the pitch. VAR made offside in particular too clinical and your big toe being offside is hardly gaining an advantage so as some others have said I would go with clear daylight between the respective players. In reality there were less then a handful of howlers every season and the linesman are surprisingly good so for me scrap VAR which has introduced far more controversy to decision making and reduced the quality of the spectacle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside - is it worth the hassle?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.