4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
February 6, 2021, 7:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I think we ran out of stamina second half due to the pitch and a lack of match fitness for a good percentage of the team plus Newport reorganised well at half time..

Saw more than enough to keep believing we can stay up. Matete and El Mazouni are clever strong skilful players but I'm not sure they benefit from a fairly static Hanson in the side, they need to play in and around someone more give and go mobile, maybe LJL if he's fit enough. Hewitt did ok at right back, keeper looked more assured than Macca, Menayese's pace helps, Adams and Lamy look useful and I like Payne. The one thing I really liked was that a physical side like Newport couldn't bully us off the ball, especially first half, which is a refreshing change. Just wish Waterfall wouldn't keep switching off on the second ball when defending, never looks for a man.

I'd say overall we edged the game and deserved a draw at the very least, with their keeper making a couple of excellent point blank saves. Another game gone but I feared a worse performance today with so many new players thrown together for practically the first time after only a couple of training sessions together.

Cheesed off about the result, but encouraged a little by the team performance, especially first half..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
mimma
February 6, 2021, 7:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Let us not get too carried away just yet. Today's team has been thrown together in two weeks and it was their first game together. Just stay in touch until they get it together. The best time to put a run together will be at the end of the season, so long as we stay in touching distance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
pontoonlew
February 6, 2021, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
[sup][/sup]
Quoted from Hagrid
Walked and got some fresh air.
Played well first 40, better team on a woeful pitch, red card changed it, newport sat in and left one up top, our error giving away a corner led to the goal for them, sometimes its luck the way the ball drops but its a goal given from our own mistake. After that we had all the possession, crossing wasnt the best, Payne had our best chance which keeper saved well but we gave newport what they needed which was a lead to then sit in on and ultimately they won it quite easily.

Feel like its a big chance blown with Barrow losing again and Stevenage drawing. Both win their games in hand the gaps will be 8 points. 9 if you include our GD. I just feel its too much, we dont score, and cant keep clean sheets

Adams looked bright and i thought the 2 CB’s had good games, maybe would have liked lennie on a bit earlier. Bunney was a little wayward in passing. But best not scapegoat him ( see match thread)

PH had improved us no doubt, but as a caller on RH said, when we conceed, we do not look like coming back, heads are down. I said last week i didnt feel we would stay up, and whilst performances are improved, results are what matters, and if you cant get a point at 10 man newport, get a point against Stevenage at home, not beat Southend, ultimately you dont deserve to stay up. I hope beyond dreams that we can turn it round but just cant see it. Very tough game against Tranmere next week too who are flying.

One of my biggest gripes under Hurst in NL was that we were often unable to come from behind. This is ringing true this time round but the situation is far graver and far more regular.

We’ve scored more than one goal in 3 games in the entire season, so couple those two things together and we look completely buggered.

Yet despite all of that, I’m still seeing something that suggests we may stay up but things need to pick up. Results are worse under Hurst but I believe there are mitigating circumstances with that, but things need to change and quick.

Thought almost all of our signings improved us in some way, all but Joe Bunney who was seriously disappointing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Northbank Mariner
February 6, 2021, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from mimma
Let us not get too carried away just yet. Today's team has been thrown together in two weeks and it was their first game together. Just stay in touch until they get it together. The best time to put a run together will be at the end of the season, so long as we stay in touching distance.

Absolutely, think we all knew it would take 3-4 games for them to gel but in one game I was impressed at how well they seemed to know each others game...shame we didn't start the season with today's team, we wouldn't be staring down the barrel of non league, I'm sure of that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
HertsGTFC

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
I think we ran out of stamina second half due to lack of match fitness for a good percentage of the team and Newport reorganised well at half time..

Saw more than enough to keep believing we can stay up. Matete and El Mazouni are clever players but I'm not sure they benefit from a fairly static Hanson in the side, they need to play in and around someone more give and go mobile, maybe LJL if he's fit enough. Hewitt did ok at right back, keeper looked more assured than Macca, Menayese's pace helps, Adams and Lamy look useful and I like Payne. The one thing I really liked was that a physical side like Newport couldn't bully us of the ball, especially first half, which is a refreshing change. Just wish Waterfall wouldn't keep switching off on the second ball when defending, never looks for a man.

I'd say overall we edged the game and deserved a draw at the very least, with their keeper making a couple of excellent point blank saves. Another game gone but I feared a worse performance today with so many new players thrown together for practically the first time after only a couple of training sessions together.

Cheesed off about the result, but encouraged a little by the team performance, especially first half..

Good summary, like last week I thought the loanees from a higher level struggled with the poor playing surfaces at BP and as ever Rodney Parade. The other thing I doubt they’d be used to is the 4+ hour coach journey to the game as they had to do the trip in a day.

We just looked like 11 strangers as you’d expect but we did put a shift in. Pleased we’re not playing Tuesday as it gives us a bit of extra time on the training ground.

If we go down at least on the basis of today it won’t be through lack of effort at any rate.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
oochiad
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from mimma

Absolutely, they don’t even know each other’s names yet ffs! It’s obvious from the the first 45 that there is a team of more quality than what we’ve been watching previously. Give them a couple of weeks and we’ll see some good results. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
February 6, 2021, 7:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from TAGG
It seems to me that apart from Pollock. Macca, Clifton and Waterfall non of the other 60 odd tom dicks and harrys who have pulled on a Town shirt this season neither understand or give a excrement about what it is to play for Grimsby Town.
Do any of them understand the excrement we are in, I don't think so.

You're a fool.

Reply: 26 - 35
forza ivano
February 6, 2021, 8:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
i wish i could share your optimism but the basic facts remain the same after today
1) we cannot play well for longer than 45 minutes
2) we will always contrive to concede a goal no matter how little the opposition might be in the game
3) we fail to take advantage of any advantage we are given - newport bottom of the  form table and with only 10 men weren't put under any real pressure and saw the game out fairly easily
4) we again failed to create any clear cut chances.Even the shots on target were powder puff affairs
5) even with an almost completely new team we look beaten as soon as we concede
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Nutsy
February 6, 2021, 8:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
Let’s face it, the reason we lost was the luck wasn’t on our side - another day that header just over by Payne (I think) goes in, and their goal is saved.

I don’t get the gloomers - get a grip - loads of new players, all of which look like a top 10 side easily, give it time, wait for Morais and others to get back to full fitness and we will be safe

UTM

PS Matete is unreal for this level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
HarrogateMariner
February 6, 2021, 9:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Compared to what we have become used to,  I thought we played well and I am feeling more positive now than I have for weeks.  First of all you could see a plan,  tactics, an idea of what we were trying to do. If it had stayed 11 v 11 I think we would have won. Problem with the sending off was it put pressure on us to win, an expectation to win. Up until then we were the underdogs and with confidence low that suited us. The sending off changed this. But there are some good things to work on. I would like to see the same team for next weekend. Give an opportunity for relationships to develop on the pitch. Regarding Bunny I thought he did ok, no worse than Habergham and he is still building up fitness. We can do this...one win and I think more will follow straight away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.