Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for club to make a statement on takeover
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 160 Guests

Time for club to make a statement on takeover

This thread currently has 6,777 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
March 17, 2021, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Less than 3 months after getting hourly statements from Fenty's mob about what type of milk they were taking in their tea and how it was a better choice than what the tyre-kickers opted for, are we really thirsty for a statement that will say nothing?

The takeover is where it is, it's underway.  SSP are shrewd and experienced operators, rest assured they are not about to get involved in something that is little more than pie in the sky.  It's happening and there's no real reason why it won't complete.

However, as others have said, lets be sensible about what they can achieve.  Bigdog is right in that a very pro-active approach is required from the day they walk into the building.  Rome wasn't built in a day and we've frankly got some levelling of the rubble to do before we start rebuilding, but a fair expectation is that these guys will come in and start to make changes that will improve this club.  I think the nod that Mark Palmer  (think I've got his name right) will have some sort of CEO type role initially suggests that a shake-up is ahead.

But this season is beyond the reach of SSP.  Even if the takeover is announced tomorrow there's absolutely nothing that they can do to influence the outcome of this season.  Our squad is what we've got for the next 13 games.  All I can think of that could make any change is that they give Hurst the backing to bring in an improved back room set-up, which we've started to see with the appointment of a performance analyst.  But the impact from that sort of stuff generally doesn't happen within a few months.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
HerveJosse
March 17, 2021, 10:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
If the delays are just administrative the simple solution would be for both parties to put out a statement explaining that and that subject to that the deal s still on.In our current circumstances I think that it was what we deserve not least because previous statements by both parties suggested a timeline that has passed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
ska face
March 17, 2021, 10:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
They have already made a statement to say that neither party will be commenting whilst the process is ongoing.

Any timelines that people have cooked up have come from their own assumptions & guesswork.

What do you even want the statement to say? It’ll either be “everything’s ongoing”, which is of no use, “everything’s off” or “everything’s done”, which you’ll hear about anyway when they happen.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
friskneymariner
March 17, 2021, 10:41am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,156
Gold Stars: 38
A statement would end all this speculation.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
ginnywings
March 17, 2021, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
What speculation?

They are buying the club and unless they say otherwise, there is nothing to report until it's done.

They have already said as much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 1:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Makes you wonder if there is some degree of renegotiation going on behind the scenes given our by now almost certain relegation.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
forza ivano
March 17, 2021, 3:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
i was told a couple of weeks ago that the deal was done and dusted and was with the FL for final approval
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
Barrattstander
March 17, 2021, 3:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +875
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Zmariner
Were I involved in the takeover I would delay until we are mathematically down and so the relegation is pinned totally to the existing owners. There is no sugar coating the relegation and so if I were them I would prefer to talk only about the future utm

The only joy I can extract from our situation is the knowledge that Fenty is sat squirming on his seat in the Upper witnessing his 'legacy' collapse before his very eyes.

#Fentyout.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
ginnywings
March 17, 2021, 4:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner
Makes you wonder if there is some degree of renegotiation going on behind the scenes given our by now almost certain relegation.  

Can't see it. They knew the situation and even tried to negotiate a deal in case of that happening but JF wouldn't accept it and it was an all or nothing deal whichever league we were in. The consortium agreed to that in the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 17, 2021, 7:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 122
Personally I think that as and when SSP have control, instead of throwing money into the very rare occurance of GTFC actually paying for a player, I think they should invest in backroom staff first and foremost. More coaches.....a new fitness coach.....more physios....etc etc. This is where we are failing.

We do have players that we occasionally see moments of class from, but its that talent that needs nurturing and improving and that can only be done with a strong support team. Relying on Deputy Doig and Ben Davies is far from ideal, obviously, and another thing, has anyone actually seen Hurst physically training his players? Even Ollie could be seen telling and showing his players what he wanted. All we see is Hurst stood watching them aimlessly kicking a ball round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for club to make a statement on takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.