2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
March 12, 2021, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
John Wilder has left Sheffield United after 5 years.  He did an excellent job.  Said to be more about politics than their current league position.  Although 1 transfer window in 4.5 years did not work out.  Probably paying a lot of money for Brewster from Liverpool, when he has not delivered goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
March 12, 2021, 1:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjAxNjE0NzE1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUzNjI0NA@@._V1_.jpg[/img]

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
promotion plaice
March 12, 2021, 1:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 201

John ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
malkamalka
March 12, 2021, 1:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
John Wilder has left Sheffield United after 5 years.  He did an excellent job.  Said to be more about politics than their current league position.  Although 1 transfer window in 4.5 years did not work out.  Probably paying a lot of money for Brewster from Liverpool, when he has not delivered goals.

Chris, but yeh, they were near the bottom of League One when he took over. Started with a bad run as well, a lot of chatter about him getting sacked again, but he eventually turned it around.

I wonder if Brewster and McBurnie were his choices or the owner's?

Reading betweeen the lines, he's probably pleased to be getting out. I'm sure he'll get another project soon - maybe across the city  

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 12, 2021, 3:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
The BBC website has a good (and unusually forthright) piece on this - seems the owner wasn't prepared to back him in the transfer market and their relationship has not been good for a while.

If I was a chairman of an underperforming team in the Championship or Prem I'd be looking at my current manager and thinking about giving Wilder a call.  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 12, 2021, 3:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,772
Gold Stars: 81
Stupid decision. Like every manager he’s made a few mistakes in the transfer market but his achievements have been exemplary until this season. They are obviously going down but surely he is the best guy to bring them straight back up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Rick12
March 12, 2021, 3:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Stupid decision. Like every manager he’s made a few mistakes in the transfer market but his achievements have been exemplary until this season. They are obviously going down but surely he is the best guy to bring them straight back up.
Tend to agree. I use to like watching them last season on Bt sport. Hard working outfit and Wilder done well to get the best out of them on resources which were sub standard to a fair few in the the top league. Someone who I know is a season ticket holder at Sheffield United and said he didnt want Wilder gone. He said what I felt covid has affected them a lot this season due to the fans not being there.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
louth_in_the_south
March 12, 2021, 4:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,710
Gold Stars: 96
I’m sure we Holloway signed some lad from non league called John Wilder didn’t he ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
arryarryarry
March 12, 2021, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
The BBC website has a good (and unusually forthright) piece on this - seems the owner wasn't prepared to back him in the transfer market and their relationship has not been good for a while.

If I was a chairman of an underperforming team in the Championship or Prem or EFL League 2 I'd be looking at my current manager and thinking about giving Wilder a call.  

Amended it for you  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 12, 2021, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from arryarryarry

Amended it for you  

On a phone, somewhere in Yorkshire:

Chris Wilder: Eastwood lad, 'ow's it gooing? Has thar enjoyed thee time at Grimsby? Wor' a the facilities lark? Trerning ground lark Reel Madrid's? Sterdium lark the Nooo Camp? Their chairman, a bloke called Benty or summat has asked if I fancy replacing that blork who alwers talks about keeping us shape.

Eastwood: Hello boss. Thar must be fookin' mental! Trerning ground is like a windswept vision of hell, but with worse tea. The sterdium is fallin' down't around thar's ears. It looks like Bramall Lane just after the war.

Wilder: Bur he's gorra investor who wants to put money into't trerning ground?.....

Eastwood walks away muttering something about a fooking pillock....

A couple of days later, Don Benty, chairman of Grimsby Town Football Club is showing Chris Wilder round Blundell Park, trying to convince him to join:

Don: look Chris, we even have a sink for the ladies....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Wilder

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.