HarrogateMariner
March 14, 2021, 10:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from forza ivano

Is it possible for you to be just a little bit more dispassionate at times, and not to be totally blinded by your hatred of Hurst , so that a rational discussion could be had?

i will therefore take your post at face value.
IMHO a lot depends on whether the improvement we've shown in the last 3 games can be sustained. IF (and it's a big if, i grant you) then i'd say Eastwood (just because i've got a funny feeling he'll be freed in May) + McKeown (hopefully he's got his mojo back now), Hendrie, Hewitt,Menayese (again, i think he might be freed), Clifton, Wright, Lamy, Matete (if we could get him on a seasons loan, but i think he's destined for better things) of the current first choicers.
The million dollar question with Coke,Harbegham, Hanson, The Shop and Morais is whether they could sustain a long tough season. That's one you'll have to trust the manager on. FWIW i've been impressed with Coke, Hanson would be a real handful at that level as would Morais (plus i wonder whetherr we could use his coaching skills). The Shop might be a bit of a talisman, whilst a fully fit Harbegham should be good enough (although i fear his injury may limit him)
Out of the others i hope Spokes & Jackson get another chance whilst Waterfall, Pollock, & Gibson and Williams are here anyway. Would be nice if Pollock got sold for a few shekels, but the others don't fill me with any confidence.
It's the youngsters i fear for as Hurst isn't known for bringing them through, much as i'd like to see Adlard, Khouri, Idehen and Boyd be involved a bit more.

Hope i've answered your question

I agree with just about everything here, except I would imagine those on deals for next season that are obviously not in the managers plans to be paid off, as part of the new owners commitment to sorting the club out. Regarding those worth offering a new deal to, based on recent form I completely agree. And I also fear for the youth, can't see many opportunities for them. For example I would like to see Starbuck on the bench at the minute, worth a try as an attacking wide player when others in this position are either injured or out of form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
arryarryarry
March 14, 2021, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from forza ivano

Is it possible for you to be just a little bit more dispassionate at times, and not to be totally blinded by your hatred of Hurst , so that a rational discussion could be had?

i will therefore take your post at face value.
IMHO a lot depends on whether the improvement we've shown in the last 3 games can be sustained. IF (and it's a big if, i grant you) then i'd say Eastwood (just because i've got a funny feeling he'll be freed in May) + McKeown (hopefully he's got his mojo back now), Hendrie, Hewitt,Menayese (again, i think he might be freed), Clifton, Wright, Lamy, Matete (if we could get him on a seasons loan, but i think he's destined for better things) of the current first choicers.
The million dollar question with Coke,Harbegham, Hanson, The Shop and Morais is whether they could sustain a long tough season. That's one you'll have to trust the manager on. FWIW i've been impressed with Coke, Hanson would be a real handful at that level as would Morais (plus i wonder whetherr we could use his coaching skills). The Shop might be a bit of a talisman, whilst a fully fit Harbegham should be good enough (although i fear his injury may limit him)
Out of the others i hope Spokes & Jackson get another chance whilst Waterfall, Pollock, & Gibson and Williams are here anyway. Would be nice if Pollock got sold for a few shekels, but the others don't fill me with any confidence.
It's the youngsters i fear for as Hurst isn't known for bringing them through, much as i'd like to see Adlard, Khouri, Idehen and Boyd be involved a bit more.

Hope i've answered your question

Stop being a knob.

First of all I was responding to a poster who said Hurst was re-building and asked the genuine question in what way did he think he was re-building whilst his team is sinking into the National League.

I don't hate Paul Hurst I just don't rate him as a manager, I never did when he was here last time and I certainly don't rate him now the way he is single handidly dragging us down by turning us into a worse performing team than Holloway did.

I doubt many of the players we currently have not contracted for next season will want to drop down to the National League, Eastwood for example.

McKewan was already here and is contracted for next season but has probably had his worst season so hopefully we could do better.

I would expect Hendrie to be freed he is probably on a high salary. Possibly the same with Hewitt who I would admit has played well recently. Menayese may not want to drop another level.

Clifton and Wright were already here, Clifton may be handed another contract.

Matete I would think would want to play at a higher level, Lamy may be a decent choice depending on his performances for the rest of the season.

Coke,Harbegham, Hanson, The Shop, Morais and Rose, well we are stuck with Morais and Rose for another season but Morais has been here several weeks now and still doesn't look fit enough to last a game, the same with Rose who has been here all season. As for the others do we really want to be building a team to get out of the National League around those players who are clearly injury prone and past their best.

We are also stuck with Scannell, Gibson and Williams who I would suggest the club would want off their books.

We are also stuck with Waterfall who will probably stay. Pollock may think he is better than the National League but who ever stays we can't have a centre-back pairing of the two as they have not been good enough this season.

Bunney I would expect and hope will be released.

I really don't have any idea what PH thinks of Jackson and Gibson who are contracted for at least the next season.

Both Holloway and Hurst have relied on signing unfit senior pros and it hasn't worked and they must accept the responsibility for that.

As for Hurst re-building, I just don't see it unless he wants to go into next season with players that struggle to play half the matches.

I would add that if he keeps us up then give him the freedom of the Town but if we go down give him a P45.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
DB
March 14, 2021, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from arryarryarry

Stop being a knob.

First of all I was responding to a poster who said Hurst was re-building and asked the genuine question in what way did he think he was re-building whilst his team is sinking into the National League.

I don't hate Paul Hurst I just don't rate him as a manager, I never did when he was here last time and I certainly don't rate him now the way he is single handidly dragging us down by turning us into a worse performing team than Holloway did.

I doubt many of the players we currently have not contracted for next season will want to drop down to the National League, Eastwood for example.

McKewan was already here and is contracted for next season but has probably had his worst season so hopefully we could do better.

I would expect Hendrie to be freed he is probably on a high salary. Possibly the same with Hewitt who I would admit has played well recently. Menayese may not want to drop another level.

Clifton and Wright were already here, Clifton may be handed another contract.

Matete I would think would want to play at a higher level, Lamy may be a decent choice depending on his performances for the rest of the season.

Coke,Harbegham, Hanson, The Shop, Morais and Rose, well we are stuck with Morais and Rose for another season but Morais has been here several weeks now and still doesn't look fit enough to last a game, the same with Rose who has been here all season. As for the others do we really want to be building a team to get out of the National League around those players who are clearly injury prone and past their best.

We are also stuck with Scannell, Gibson and Williams who I would suggest the club would want off their books.

We are also stuck with Waterfall who will probably stay. Pollock may think he is better than the National League but who ever stays we can't have a centre-back pairing of the two as they have not been good enough this season.

Bunney I would expect and hope will be released.

I really don't have any idea what PH thinks of Jackson and Gibson who are contracted for at least the next season.

Both Holloway and Hurst have relied on signing unfit senior pros and it hasn't worked and they must accept the responsibility for that.

As for Hurst re-building, I just don't see it unless he wants to go into next season with players that struggle to play half the matches.

I would add that if he keeps us up then give him the freedom of the Town but if we go down give him a P45.

He can have his P45 now for me. Stats prove his first 12 games are far worse than Holloways. In different ways Hurst is just as bad as Holloway and as for the NL, it's a different league now to when we were in it last time. A lot of ex league teams.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Total Points

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.