Garth
March 22, 2021, 5:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from forza ivano

you and your damn facts Vance. You will next be trying to tell us that we scored 3 or more goals in a game on quite a number of occasions, even though we know that Hurst only ever let us win 1-0 or 2-1

Give the guy a break, I'm sure he  tried to be fair minded by quoting the truth, not easy on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
oochiad
March 22, 2021, 5:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
We win tomorrow night and we have a hope, we lose and we’re down.....I’ve been saying this for ages😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
GrimRob
March 23, 2021, 9:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from GrimRob
Can it be done, or is it The Long Goodbye?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/XVcVvkM/Great-Escape.png[/img]

It's still possible!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 72 - 85
Yoda
March 23, 2021, 9:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
There are no good teams in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
RonMariner
March 24, 2021, 12:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
A journey of 10,000 miles begins with a single step.

Are we overreacting after a one-nil win against one of the worse teams in the division?

No, I don't think so. I am one of those that had accepted relegation weeks ago. Not just because of the results, but mainly because of the performances. We did not look like a side that could put a winning run together. We leaked too many soft goals and created hardly any chances.

The evidence I was looking for, if there was to be any chance of escape, was to remedy both of those defects. I am an evidence based person. Well last night was our third clean sheet in four games (including one game against the team currently in 4th place).

We created a hat full of chances last night, and recently two midfield players have scored cracking goals. Ok, so we still don't score as many as we should. But there is another factor that gives me hope.

On Saturday we came back twice from being a goal down whereas a few months ago heads dropped and we would fold everything we conceded. That show a fighting spirit. The way we hung on last night, and celebrated at the end, shows that spirit is there.

So despite my previous pessimism, I now think there are grounds for hope.

It will still be an almighty task. We are in dire trouble. But we aren't dead yet.  I think the next two games are vital. If we could win the next two games the table would look very different indeed.

Had we lost last night I think the door to safety would have been effectively closed. Now it is open just a little. The next two games represent a chance for us to open it further.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
Madeleymariner
March 24, 2021, 3:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'm counting 11.

Pedant alert, I also make it 9 based on FC Halifax (deffo) Aldershot Town (fairly sure) being phoenix clubs and thus never been in the football league
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
Les Brechin
March 24, 2021, 3:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Pedant alert, I also make it 9 based on FC Halifax (deffo) Aldershot Town (fairly sure) being phoenix clubs and thus never been in the football league

True, didn't think about that.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
forza ivano
March 24, 2021, 4:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Madeleymariner

whilst you're quite correct, i'd argue the fact that their stadium and fans are the same as they had in the Football League makes them ex League clubs (they are, in my eyes, anyway! )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
NorfolkImp
March 24, 2021, 4:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Yoda
There are no good teams in this league.

Agreed, the gulf between L1 & L2 is as big as its ever been, only Bolton would stay up if they came up (via the play-offs admittedly)

Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
rancido
March 24, 2021, 4:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Les Brechin

True, didn't think about that.

You were originally correct with 11 as I don't regard phoenix clubs any more different than other established clubs (except Francise FC!). I had completely forgotten that both Yeovil and Daggers had fairly brief flirtations with league status.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Great Escape

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.