March 24, 2021, 12:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Hagrid

probs, but the cutoffs gone for that mate

Thank you Hagrid, I realised there was a point where they were "wiped clean", but assumed they then started counting again.
He certainly isn't afraid to get stuck in, and that header away on the edge of the box in amongst the flying feet showed great commitment  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
TownSNAFU5
March 24, 2021, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
With a keeper rediscovering his mojo and a very good CB partnership, we are hard to beat.

We therefore have the option to attack more with confidence and knowing that the back door is locked.  (We did not even have a back door before).

Alternatively,  we can sit it out and hope that we can take 1 chance to score and sneak some 1-0 wins.  (This assumes that we can create good chances in the first place. Previous games show that we will need a number of chances in order to score a goal).

Spokes' goal was probably an exception last night.  A good goal created out of very little.

Confidence is key.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 24, 2021, 1:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Tommy
Delighted with the 3 points. Ugly game of football but style is irrelevant for the next 6/7 weeks as long as we get the points.

Thought the team selection and set-up was good. Perhaps a slight surprise to see Hirst go with 3 out-and-out proper centre-forwards as the 3 forwards in a 433. Probably thought the pitch wasnt great and that we'd just to direct and have a midfield to pick up 2nd balls. One worry could've been that LJL and Payne, as the wider forwards, would've been asked to do too much defensively giving us more of a 451 with Hanson isolated. Thankfully that didnt happen and it was a genuine front 3.

LJL and Hanson were a handful. Payne less so but I'd imagine that role is not something he's done before. LJL was very keen to get shots off in the first half.
LJL had a big hand in our goal - not through brilliant hold-up play as I've seen it described as elsewhere, but by being a flipping nuisance to play against. He never had control of the ball but stopped the defender being able to deal with it, then when it did drop at his feet, had the awareness to set it for Spokes. And what a strike.

Matete was good. The way he shields the ball and quickly swivels his body while he's on the move, to get it between the ball and the man, is excellent. Very calm, composed, and can play in tight spaces. Spokes was good too, he's got a presence about him, is physically imposing, can play off both feet and is mobile for his size.

I thought it was the best Rose had played in a long time. He definitely needs to play in a midfield 3, which has been clear for a while in all honesty but games like last night highlight it because of positive reasons. He was strong in the tackle, mopped up in front of the back 4 reasonably well, and switched play a lot when it got tight on side of the pitch.

Back 4 were pretty solid defensively bar a few moments. They put bodies on the line at the end and I'm sure I wasn't the only one nearly having a heart attack in the last 5 minutes. All these blocks contributed to Barrow only having one shot on target - that easy one Macca dived to his right to save after Clifton misjudged/missed a header. Macca didn't look confident with the aerial bombardment near the end, dropping a couple.

Hendrie really good again, in form at the right time. Hewitt continues to show hes a really good centre back. I don't rate him at all as a midfielder or a full back, but he's been excellent at centre back. Menayese has got stronger the longer he's been here. I've noticed he struggles with really high balls coming down from the clouds though, misjudges it or something but, as he has done previously, he one completely last night (under no pressure) and got another one wrong heading it backwards in the direction of our corner flag.

Clifton was excellent as a defender apart from that one moment not dealing with the bouncing ball that led to their shot on target. I thought he really struggled though when he had the ball. Perhaps suffered from not playing 442 when he has a winger quite close in front of him to pass the ball to. But really poor passing, even when under no pressure at times. His instructions need to be to just play little 5-10 yard passes. Win it and give it to Rose. No shame in that.

Can't really argue with the subs. Coke just slotted in for Rose and carried on with the same job. Green didnt have time to do anything, but I'd have thought Jackson Jr might have been a better option to come on for Payne, just to offer energy and pace. If we're going to keep playing 433 it might actually help Jackson, as it's on the right of a front 3 he played at his last club. Not on the right of a 442 as he did recently with us.

A bit of hope then. Hopefully we can follow it up with a win on Saturday, then things could get interesting. UTM.

Good summary Tommy. Looking at the selection I had the feeling Hurst felt it was last chance time so might as well go for it. His sides have played better when he doesn’t overthink the negative. I was just bothered he would start to play for a draw after we went 1-0!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
Grantham_Mariner
March 24, 2021, 4:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from lee65
Is Matete getting close to 5 yellows?

He has 6 yellows. He would only get a ban if he got to 15 at this stage of the season.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
AussieMariner
March 24, 2021, 5:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

He has 6 yellows. He would only get a ban if he got to 15 at this stage of the season.

I wouldn’t put it past him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
lee65
March 24, 2021, 7:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Cheers Grantham, he seems to get one most games  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.