April 15, 2021, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Abdul19

They're the opposition's home game.

I thought we were concerned about towns home games, bug ger the opposition, and their home fans.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
TownSNAFU5
April 15, 2021, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
There are many reasons for the team being bottom this season.  We have more reasons for lack of points/wins than other clubs, and these reasons are more severe.

The lack of fans at BP is not one of them.

I suspect that if we had home fans, they would have got on the players backs resulting in poorer performances.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
DB
April 15, 2021, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There are many reasons for the team being bottom this season.  We have more reasons for lack of points/wins than other clubs, and these reasons are more severe.

The lack of fans at BP is not one of them.

I suspect that if we had home fans, they would have got on the players backs resulting in poorer performances.  

Perhaps a nappy change and box of tissues at halftime would help. On the other men would put a shift in.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 15, 2021, 2:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
That bloke in the Lower Stones shouting 'you're flipping excrement Town' could have made all the difference.

You might have stumbled upon something here, like Mike Newell in a pub car park.

If a fat man, with a voice like Wagner trapped in a coffin, starts shouting abuse at pluralised Pollocks, Paynes and Cokes, psychologically it gives Town players double the strength due to the Grimsby ā€˜sā€™. It must be like playing with extra men.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
arryarryarry
April 15, 2021, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
That bloke in the Lower Stones shouting 'you're flipping excrement Town' could have made all the difference.

He wouldn't have been wrong though.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
diehardmariner
April 15, 2021, 3:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from DB

First and foremost I couldn't care too hoots about Sheff. Utd., but a few on here were singing the praises of Chris Wilder. So what he says, in his current comments on the BBC, just may be of interest as it refers to the effect fans have on home games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56743252

Quoted Text
"As proved this season, football is just not the same without fans and I stand by the comment that I've made on numerous occasions, the club have missed out more than most.

"Unitedites have the ability to turn losses into draws and draws into wins.

"I cannot stress enough how important the fans are and I've been humbled by the unequivocal support, even this season when things haven't gone so well."

That's absolute shite though isn't it?  'Unitedites', just like every other set of fans in the country have the same level of ability to score goals, make goal line clearances etc.  None.  Yes, a rabid crowd may have a degree of influence on the game but Sheffield United (just like Town) have not had the benefit of that when playing at home, but so has every other team in the country.  

The point that was raised about away games is very valid.  For the argument that we've missed out on goal swings for our home games, based on our fans.  The same can be said when we're at away games, the teams that were hosting us would surely have missed out on that goal swing from their own fans?

As I said above, I don't think a populated Blundell Park would be particularly beneficial this season at all. Can you imagine the mood every home game when Matt Green comes out the dugout for his customary 15 minute cameo.  Or the reaction when Harry Clifton again fails to find his man with a pass, or when Stefan Payne fails to chase down a ball into the corner, or when Luke Waterfall got done by on the turn and left for dust by a striker?

Wilder's comments are of someone who's failing to acknowledge the glaringly obvious fact that he and his team just weren't good enough.  I think he did a great job at Sheff Utd and I'm sure he'll go on to have other successes elsewhere.  But this season was a hurdle too far for him and his team.  He lost his best player in Dean Henderson and replaced him with someone a level down.  He also failed to act on the issue that his side looked stagnant after the enforced break last season.  The tactics that served him so well whilst progressing through the leagues were found out. His summer recruitment was largely poor.

There are parallels here in some ways with how badly we recruited and set-up in the summer and then Holloway blaming Covid, the same situation as what everyone else faced.

We're bottom of our league because over the course of a season we've been shite, exactly the same reason Sheff Utd are bottom of their league.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
golfer
April 15, 2021, 5:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from DB

What has this to do with a thread about home games?

My grannie does a lot of sewing - I'll ask her - she has more savvy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
DB
April 15, 2021, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

That's absolute shite though isn't it?  'Unitedites', just like every other set of fans in the country have the same level of ability to score goals, make goal line clearances etc.  None.  Yes, a rabid crowd may have a degree of influence on the game but Sheffield United (just like Town) have not had the benefit of that when playing at home, but so has every other team in the country.  

The point that was raised about away games is very valid.  For the argument that we've missed out on goal swings for our home games, based on our fans.  The same can be said when we're at away games, the teams that were hosting us would surely have missed out on that goal swing from their own fans?

As I said above, I don't think a populated Blundell Park would be particularly beneficial this season at all. Can you imagine the mood every home game when Matt Green comes out the dugout for his customary 15 minute cameo.  Or the reaction when Harry Clifton again fails to find his man with a pass, or when Stefan Payne fails to chase down a ball into the corner, or when Luke Waterfall got done by on the turn and left for dust by a striker?

Wilder's comments are of someone who's failing to acknowledge the glaringly obvious fact that he and his team just weren't good enough.  I think he did a great job at Sheff Utd and I'm sure he'll go on to have other successes elsewhere.  But this season was a hurdle too far for him and his team.  He lost his best player in Dean Henderson and replaced him with someone a level down.  He also failed to act on the issue that his side looked stagnant after the enforced break last season.  The tactics that served him so well whilst progressing through the leagues were found out. His summer recruitment was largely poor.

There are parallels here in some ways with how badly we recruited and set-up in the summer and then Holloway blaming Covid, the same situation as what everyone else faced.

We're bottom of our league because over the course of a season we've been shite, exactly the same reason Sheff Utd are bottom of their league.

I haven't defended the way the team has played, indeed I said they were crap. To compare what I said with Sheff United is also factually wrong. Sheff Utd. have drawn only 1 game at home all season and 1 away from home, whereas we have drawn 8 games at home and 5 away from home.

1 goal in any 4 of those 8 would have put 8 points more on the table and we'd be in a better place. It seems to me that I have more faith in our home fans than you. You name our most unpopular player Payne, along with Geen and Waterfall as coming in for stick at home. Clifton has had a reasonable season give the various positions he's been asked to play, and being in front of a home crowd to cheer him on would only be to his benefit. Then what about a rejuvenated Macca, wouldn't he also benefit from a home crowd.

LJL would also benefit from the fan's appreciation following his homecoming. Matete, Menayeses, Lamy, and Coke can only be told by Macca, Clifton,LJL, and others how good the home fans are. I just don't get how negative you are saying the fans would make no difference. As far as I am concerned Town fans are the best and can motivate the team, even the crap side that we have this year.

You want to make a point about the home fans of teams we play away. Not interested in them, nor should you be. This is just a red herring to deflect from your poor view of our great fans inside BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
DB
April 15, 2021, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

My grannie does a lot of sewing - I'll ask her - she has more savvy.

Pity your not a chip of the old block.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
rancido
April 15, 2021, 7:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,651
Gold Stars: 101
If no spectators has had no effect on results then surely by definition there is no advantage to playing at home?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lost Points

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.