Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 128 Guests

What the club needs to get back in the league

This thread currently has 10,959 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Sir Matt Tease
April 22, 2021, 5:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chipsandgravy
[quote=78048]1/ New owners.

2/ A new chairman.

3/ A new board.

4/ At least 22 better quality players than the rubbish we have at the moment.

5/ A new manager.

Simple really !

Just out of interest Sir Matt, and I know I have asked you this several times, who would you have had as a manager that a) was available and/or a realistic target
given our circumstances and is that different to who you would have now?

I do not know who was available at the time or who would be interested. However I would advertise the position and run a full in depth interview process instead of just appointing an ex manager, (easy option).

There are always plenty of managers seeking employment and I'm sure that this club could attract a decent manager, if the club are prepared to back him and not just try to do everything on the cheap !

Hope this answers your query.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
immariner
April 22, 2021, 5:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
I remember the general level of goalkeeping in the Conference. McKeown is more than fine as long as we have a decent second keeper, as it's been shown again and again he needs to be pushed to bring the best out of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
ska face
April 22, 2021, 6:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from immariner
I remember the general level of goalkeeping in the Conference. McKeown is more than fine as long as we have a decent second keeper, as it's been shown again and again he needs to be pushed to bring the best out of him.

I remember 6 years in the conference and never being in contention for promotion once despite usually scoring shed loads.

We shouldn’t need to pay for a really good number 2 just to encourage McKeown not to go off the boil, and to don the gloves after he has his annual bad month.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 22, 2021, 6:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from geir
One thing is for sure.
NEVER make your goalie captain of the team.

Unless they’re called Dino or Hugo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
wigworld
April 22, 2021, 6:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from ska face

I remember 6 years in the conference and never being in contention for promotion once despite usually scoring shed loads.

We made the play-offs 4 years in a row!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 87
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2021, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Azimuth

He may be a nice man but he is utterly uninspiring and tactically inept, he has long since been found out by just about every opposition he faces.
He record since shrewsbury has been worse than useless.
Team spirit, dont make me laugh, we witnessed what happened on the pitch with the headbutt.

As for your Jesus Christ comment, yes I am well aware of what league we are in and where we are going, are our ambitions so low that we think tbis is acceptable, other arguably smaller clubs achieve much much more and have managers able to adapt and motivate.
Mark my words sticking with Hurst will get us nowhere fast.

One thing Hurst does do is nip things in the bud. They have both been dealt with and won't play again. The hard working and honest people will appreciate that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
immariner
April 22, 2021, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from ska face

We shouldn’t need to pay for a really good number 2 just to encourage McKeown not to go off the boil, and to don the gloves after he has his annual bad month.

So the rest of those squads were good enough to see us promoted automatically but McKeown prevented that because he occasionally had a bad patch, like every player does? Na.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
chipsandgravy
April 22, 2021, 7:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

I do not know who was available at the time or who would be interested. However I would advertise the position and run a full in depth interview process instead of just appointing an ex manager, (easy option).

There are always plenty of managers seeking employment and I'm sure that this club could attract a decent manager, if the club are prepared to back him and not just try to do everything on the cheap !

Hope this answers your query.

No....again!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
arryarryarry
April 22, 2021, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from chipsandgravy
[quote=78048]1/ New owners.

2/ A new chairman.

3/ A new board.

4/ At least 22 better quality players than the rubbish we have at the moment.

5/ A new manager.

Simple really !

Just out of interest Sir Matt, and I know I have asked you this several times, who would you have had as a manager that a) was available and/or a realistic target
given our circumstances and is that different to who you would have now?

Did the club bother checking what managers were available.

Hurst was a shoo-in
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
GrimExile
April 22, 2021, 8:46pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Stew0_0
Not saying i have any name suggestions, just simply previous player references and the skills they brought us last time to get us back in the league last time.

GK - First of all Macca is a more than capable keeper as first choice. Signing another senior keeper of course would keep him on his toes.

RB - think we need to find a RB along the strengths of Richard Tait. Strong, dependable. Can get forward and has some pace.

LB - Dont think Habergham has the legs anymore unfortunately, to give a balance of defence and attack. If we could unearth the next Connor Townsend or Danny Andrew then we are fine here. Left back has arguably been our hardest position to fill in recent seasons so we have to get this right.

CB - I was going to say we need a Toto type signing. A centre with pace and aerial ability, but if Menayese becomes available on a free we should go in for him.  Happy to renew the contract of Hewitt as he is quite cultured and solid at centre half. Waterfall is contracted next term anyway so is a good option for when we play against direct teams with huge forwards and Pollock is a good prospect so sticking with the 4 we have should be ok.

CM - I'd be happy to see Clifton stay on if only as adequate cover next term. What we need is a Disley. A true leader, captain, engine and goalscorer from midfield, add to that a creative eye of a Nolan type and we would have a perfect mix in the middle.

On the wings - We are crying out for some direct wing play and quality, the likes that Nathan Arnold gave us and if we can find a similar option on the left side then the balance is there as superb amunition for the strikers.

ST ..speaking of which, ive previously liked the target supporting the poacher option up top. Something that Bogle/ Amond gave us to a certain degree, Cook/Hannah, Jones/Reddy, Livingstone/Woods to name a few. We already know Lenny is with us next term but feel we still need 2/3 more strikers with unfortunately Hanson not being one. Think next term may be a year too many for him as we simply cannot carry anyone injury wise next year. A much smaller squad with increased quality is needed if we are to bounce straight back.

Hurst has a lot of work to do between now and August and the cull starts soon

God you’re not asking for much!! Best of luck with that one. Mind you despite me taking the urine you are 100% correct. #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.