Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 reasons why PH can have no excuses in 21-22
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 145 Guests

10 reasons why PH can have no excuses in 21-22

This thread currently has 3,776 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
April 28, 2021, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Quagmire

My only concern with the finances is where the funding will come from to pay JF 500k next season as part of the agreed 'benign' loan repayments.

It would be a great gesture of goodwill if he would postpone repayments for 12 months to give the new owners the best possible chance to get the club out at the first attempt - but then again this is a man who is walking away 200k up from the Trust Shares that he didn't pay for.

They have a business plan in which is the money to be repaid to Fenty. As for a gesture of goodwill, the only one I've seen from him is the fact he was willing to sell the club, but on his terms.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
pen penfras
April 29, 2021, 8:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from forza ivano
imho Hurst is the best manager we can realistically hope for - i honestly don't think there are many better managers in the NL. Having said that he can have no excuses if we aren't challenging for the top places.
Here's 10 reasons why not, and why we have 10 reasons to be hopeful
1) he has had 4 full months to assess what is needed on and off the pitch, which gives him an obvious advantage over someone coming in cold during pre season
2) Hurst relies on having a small, tight, hard working committed squad. I think it's evident from the performances over the last 6-8 weeks that he has got that going ,so has at least the basis for such a squad
3) he has 4 full months now to recruit a squad and get them up to full fitness, at least a 5-6 week advantage over the rest on the NL
4) our main competitors in the NL won't be finishing their season until mid June, so won't be able to recruit properly as they won't know what division they will be playing in, nor what budget will be available
5) leading on from that they have only 2 months to rest, recuperate and prepare for the start of 21-22
6) we have the parachute payment ,which gives us a huge financial advantage over nearly all of the NL, the vast majority of whom will be financially weaker than they were 12-15 months ago
7) Things are going to improve off the pitch in terms of staff and facilities, which will undoubtably give a boost to performance levels, and should help with injury prevention
he's got new bosses to work with, who he obviously trusts, and will no doubt give him the backing he needs. It'll hopefully be a properly competitive budget rather than a Fenty style budget
9) it's obvious the new board are big on motivating staff and making them happy at work. i think we can all guess how much productivity levels are going to go up with happy workforce, and the contrast that will be to the gloom and misery that they will have been working under the Fenty penny pinching regime
10) finally - US ! i think the new board are going to enthuse the fans, and lets not forget we are going to be in the top 3 of support, and i'd imagine the biggest away following. That's got to be good in driving the players on and raising their performance levels to even higher standards, plus it'll mean more pennies coming in to support the budget

no pressure then Paul!

11) He's already used every possible excuse this season, so if things aren't right next time then it's only his fault for not getting them sorted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
April 29, 2021, 9:13am
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_09
Every single season (bar maybe 12-13) we were out of the title race by September last time..

You're not really being serious with this  statement are you?  7 months still to play!   EVERY team in any League has plenty of games in that time to get promoted!

Reply: 12 - 26
diehardmariner
April 29, 2021, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from forza ivano

i agree we need to get a good start. i think we averaged about 14-15 points from the first 10 games when we were last down here and we were always struggling to catch up. That really needs to be 20 .
i have the impression that we always started the season 1,2 or 3 players short and those players arrived either without having a pre season or being signed as the August transfer window grew to an end, by which time we'd played half  a dozen games and already lost ground on the leaders.
hopefully that won't happen this year as he has the time and the money

on your other point ,yes, teams will park the bus ,but hurst knows this will happen and now has the experience and confidence to be able to deal with it.

That's a really good point.  I always got that impression, also that he always held back a bit of his budget knowing he might need it to recruit at the latter stages of the season, thinking when we brought in players like Gowling late on.  Be nice to go into the season with there or thereabouts the full squad and hitting the ground running big time.  I'd love for us to send that statement and be 21 points on the board after 7 games with a healthy goal difference.  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Humbercod
April 29, 2021, 9:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,502
Gold Stars: 82
Things I want to hear from him -

1. Apologise for relegation
2. We have a good enough team
3. Our aim is to win the league first and foremost
4. We don’t fear anyone
5. No excuses
6. Great to have Podge back

Things I don’t want to hear from him -

1. It’s going to be a tough league
2. They are a good team
3. Other teams are going to raise their games against us
4. We can still challenge for the play-offs
5. Excuses
6. Certain players we need are out of our budget
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
TownSNAFU5
April 29, 2021, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Another (controversial issue) is that Fleetwood and Crawley were so focused on promotion that they won at all costs.  Can we be that nasty and ruthless to finish top?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Abdul19
April 29, 2021, 10:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 123614

You're not really being serious with this  statement are you?  7 months still to play!   EVERY team in any League has plenty of games in that time to get promoted!

I think he's got a point. With only one automatic promotion spot you can't afford to drop that many points - by the end of August last time (7 games) we were already 12 points off top spot.

Of course it's still possible, but it's already a lot harder.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 29, 2021, 11:12am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from forza ivano
It'll hopefully be a properly competitive budget rather than a Fenty style budget

Ah, the Fenty style budget!

Two buttons, an old bottle cap and the 2 year old part sucked Werthers Original covered in fluff style budget.

I think I could provide the club with a better budget. I could give them the fiver I have in my pocket and not expect the fiver back in 10 years time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
fishcake63
April 29, 2021, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
11. will he still be blaming holloway & the training facilities next year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
April 29, 2021, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237

Ah, the Fenty style budget!

Two buttons, an old bottle cap and the 2 year old part sucked Werthers Original covered in fluff style budget.

I think I could provide the club with a better budget. I could give them the fiver I have in my pocket and not expect the fiver back in 10 years time

I don't think Fenty provided ANY budget, did he? Didn't he just take the anticipated income from the fans and official grants/sponsorship and distribute some of it to the manager?

I cannot remember any instance where he put his own money in to get us better players. I think the term principal funder is meant as a joke, surely?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 reasons why PH can have no excuses in 21-22

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.