Paul Hurst Interview 24/05/2021

This thread currently has 4,973 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 24, 2021, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Son of Cod

Haha yes, The Conference - notoriously the easiest division to get promoted from in English football.

And that's just working out how the bloody play offs work!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
arryarryarry
May 24, 2021, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from male private Nale

Seriously? The division is mostly irrelevant in my opinion, small term hurt for long term benefits with the change at boardroom level. I cant remember this positivity at the club since 98 so I stand by statement.

Staying a football league club with the old regime or a non league club with the new board I know which one I will take every day of the week. I imagine this will  be the biggest uptake in season tickets for a generation.

So it's an irrelevant league, you expect us to be promoted next season?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
HertsGTFC
May 25, 2021, 6:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
In reality what did people expect? He’s not going to go shouting from the roof tops about how we’re going to dominate next season, he doesn’t even know who’s going to be playing for us and probably won’t until the start of July at the earliest. Unlike his predecessor he will have a structured plan with a long list of targets.

I’m surprised that people see someone who is being realistic, low key and honest as being dour.

Yes in the context of “the pyramid” and all the day to day hype we see in professional football the NL is only relevant to the clubs that are in it or aspire to be in it. All that said as only 2 go up and the play offs are stretched out by definition it’s a difficult league to get out of and despite a handful of exceptions in the last decade the relegated clubs generally don’t go straight back up.  

We have to face facts that possibly/potentially next season we won’t have the best side, biggest budget or extension infrastructure. Considering the state of the club in the last 5 years why would we?  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Stew0_0
May 25, 2021, 9:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
What i like and take from this interview is that we are not taking the league lightly, fully understanding of the challenge ahead, looking to sign double figures of players and prepared to be patient to get the best players possible to challenge this year whereas we have been guilty of not in the past, especially during the first couple of years we were last in the conference.

I think the Sutton utds of the league show you dont need the most talented, skilful or highest paid players to get back to the efl but well drilled, organised, committed and team spirit to get you back up there.

I am confident Hurst can bring that back again with the right players in place come August
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
male private Nale
May 25, 2021, 11:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from arryarryarry

So it's an irrelevant league, you expect us to be promoted next season?

Jesus wept I didn't say the league is irrelevant I said whichever league we are in is irrelevant to the positivity that is currently within the club and it's supporters.

Anyway I must stop with the replies as a far more intelligent person than me once wrote "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
arryarryarry
May 25, 2021, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from male private Nale

Jesus wept I didn't say the league is irrelevant I said whichever league we are in is irrelevant to the positivity that is currently within the club and it's supporters.

Anyway I must stop with the replies as a far more intelligent person than me once wrote "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

No you didn't, you said

The division is mostly irrelevant in my opinion  No mention of whichever.

So as long as supporters feel good you wouldn't give a toss what league we are in then?

Personally I think it is a disgrace that we are now out of the Football League but if you want to be happy with the club losing out on hundreds of thousands of pounds a season and possibly down here for years to come, I hope you enjoy it.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Son of Cod
May 25, 2021, 1:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from HertsGTFC
In reality what did people expect? He’s not going to go shouting from the roof tops about how we’re going to dominate next season, he doesn’t even know who’s going to be playing for us and probably won’t until the start of July at the earliest. Unlike his predecessor he will have a structured plan with a long list of targets.

I’m surprised that people see someone who is being realistic, low key and honest as being dour.

I've never got this dour thing either. I've always thought he generally talks very well. Considered and articulate. I think the criticisms you could throw at him would be not putting his hands up and admitting his own faults and having snidey little jibes at the fans. Hopefully he'll have knocked the latter on the head a bit this time round. Boston to us was a big step up and I think the attention from our support was a bit more fractured than he'd have thought, but it's like that at most clubs over a certain size. I'd like to think that having been at two clubs that don't travel as well as us in Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury and a much bigger club with a vast amount of pressure in Ipswich that he'll perhaps now see our support in a different light and consider this before sounding off against us.

If you want to know what a dour manager sounds like, all you have to do is tune into Radio Humberside and sure enough you'll be hearing from Grant McCann. Absolute barrel of laughs that guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
male private Nale
May 25, 2021, 2:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from arryarryarry

No you didn't, you said

The division is mostly irrelevant in my opinion  No mention of whichever.

So as long as supporters feel good you wouldn't give a toss what league we are in then?

Personally I think it is a disgrace that we are now out of the Football League but if you want to be happy with the club losing out on hundreds of thousands of pounds a season and possibly down here for years to come, I hope you enjoy it.

I can't see how both statements are different other than the words used? they both mean the same.....

Anyway I will leave you to split the finite details of the above, you must be one hell of a laugh on a night out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
Swansea_Mariner
May 25, 2021, 3:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,473
Gold Stars: 63
Don't worry you are not crazy the two statements are not different. I read it and understood it as you have presented it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst Interview 24/05/2021

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.