Private Message
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 9:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Harsh to say it and I hope he recovers as he looked quality in 19/20, but no chance he's off to a Prem club after the season he's just had.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 180
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 26, 2021, 9:47am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Son of Cod
Harsh to say it and I hope he recovers as he looked quality in 19/20, but no chance he's off to a Prem club after the season he's just had.

Not a fantastic season but look at the standard of players he had to play with. Maybe playing with much better quality players would have a positive influence on him. He is still only 19 after all. Plenty of learning to be done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 180
diehardmariner
May 26, 2021, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Thought he was hung out to dry a bit last year.  Clearly struggling with injury, was exposed down the left side that was weak until Clifton and then Habergham went there (by which time he'd pretty much come out the team with injury), also paired with someone for large parts of the season having a confidence crisis.  Oh and never really had a settled team in front of him, never mind a settled system.

I think he's a decent player with a lot of potential.  But I'll be amazed if he ends up at a club like Watford, not unless he can find an extra couple of yards pace.  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 180
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 9:50am
Champagne Drinker

Not a fantastic season but look at the standard of players he had to play with. Maybe playing with much better quality players would have a positive influence on him. He is still only 19 after all. Plenty of learning to be done

Yeah, like I say I hope he can revert back to how he was when he broke through. Him and Waterfall were a terrible pairing, I'd have liked to see Pollock alongside either Hewitt or Menayese. Hopefully PH brings in a CB or two with the pace needed to compliment Pollock as he's got pretty much all the other attributes a good CB needs. Can ping a pass too to be fair to him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 180
pontoonlew
May 26, 2021, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 179
Pollock is a fantastic defender for his age and for some reason came in for stick from fans as soon as he got injured. There's absolutely no denying his ability, calm on the ball, strong as an ox and will run through walls for you.

Unfortunately for him, you cannot teach somebody pace and he needs a good few yards of that to make it in the PL. What'll likely happen is he'd go to Watford, learn a lot more about positional awareness and will become a decent Championship defender.

Can't get my head around the fans saying 'you're welcome to him', there are many players from last season who deserve stick from fans, Pollock isn't one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 180
Poojah
May 26, 2021, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
If you want to succeed you need to hang on to your top goal scorers.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 180
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
If you want to succeed you need to hang on to your top goal scorers.

Good job we've got Waterfall (OG) signed up for another season.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 180
Kris2
May 26, 2021, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
If we can get something for him now we should go for it, better than letting him walk for free. Talented youngster with potential, as mentioned pace will be an issue in PL but I imagine Watford are looking more to the future with him than anything. He's still a really good defender but needs somebody with more pace and athleticism around him as he suffered from Waterfall being too similar. Good head of the ball and able to chip in with goals, I'd say good for him and to take the chances he gets. Hopefully we get some money for him we can use to boost our own campaign next season.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 180
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2021, 10:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
You don’t need great pace at CB. It helps but it’s not essential. Look how many years Thug Ramos has survived for Real and Spain with the speed of a lethargic cart horse. People like Jack Charlton, Chris Nichol, Steve Bruce, John Terry … were never really quick. It’s about football brain and positioning more than anything and passing ability comes next.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 180
forza ivano
May 26, 2021, 10:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pontoonlew
Pollock is a fantastic defender for his age and for some reason came in for stick from fans as soon as he got injured. There's absolutely no denying his ability, calm on the ball, strong as an ox and will run through walls for you.

Unfortunately for him, you cannot teach somebody pace and he needs a good few yards of that to make it in the PL. What'll likely happen is he'd go to Watford, learn a lot more about positional awareness and will become a decent Championship defender.

Can't get my head around the fans saying 'you're welcome to him', there are many players from last season who deserve stick from fans, Pollock isn't one of them.

Think you're overegging the pudding a bit lew - imho most fans are just disappointed/surprised that he's gone backwards in the last 12 months. it's with that in mind that I think I'd 'take the money and run'

i wonder whether he could do with a change of scene himself, i can imagine as a 19 year old he must be psychologically battered and bruised by the Fenty/Holloway years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 180
pontoonlew
May 26, 2021, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
You don’t need great pace at CB. It helps but it’s not essential. Look how many years Thug Ramos has survived for Real and Spain with the speed of a lethargic cart horse. People like Jack Charlton, Chris Nichol, Steve Bruce, John Terry … were never really quick. It’s about football brain and positioning more than anything and passing ability comes next.

For a large part of his career Ramos has been one of the fastest defenders in the world  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 180
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 10:59am
Champagne Drinker

Agree with this to a certain extent, the problem with a CB lacking pace is that you can't pair them with someone also lacking pace so a CB with pace is quite a valuable commodity. The example that I always think of is our first season down in The Conference, when Steve McNulty absolutely bossed it all season but then in the playoffs I think they had an injury crisis and had to play Sean Gregan next to him who was also well slow and Wimbldeon ripped them apart in both matches by deploying Kaid Mohammed who was an average player at best at that level. You're right though, there are plenty of centre backs that do very well without pace so maybe I'm being overly harsh saying he won't ever make it to the Prem on that basis alone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 180
golfer
May 26, 2021, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118

I think that with the right training you can increase your speed. When I played I significantly increased my speed - it is a matter of "teaching" you how to run properly to suit your size and weight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 180
goldenfish
May 26, 2021, 11:22am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Every prem CB has loads of pace do they ? positioning is more important , and that can be taught ... injury clearly hampered him , and the confidence drained out of him . Would love to see him stay , playing at full confidence in a winning side ... could have his pick of teams then further up the leagues . Sell him and loan him back maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 180
rancido
May 26, 2021, 11:53am

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,651
Gold Stars: 101
The problem with a centre back who lacks pace is that the opposition will target him. Sure , experience will improve his positioning sense but that only comes with time and it can be demoralising for a player if he is frequently " left for dead " and his fellow defenders have to constantly cover for him. If Watford come in with a decent offer for Pollock then I think we should cash in on him. I also believe that a season or two under Hurst and with a decent centre back to guide him then Pollock could improve here and become a very valuable asset in the future.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 180
Abdul19
May 26, 2021, 11:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
Already looking forward to seeing him play against Messi during his 22/23 Granada loan spell.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 180
Les Brechin
May 26, 2021, 11:59am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174

Lord Futcher wasn't particularly blessed with pace either!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 180
Marinerdan
May 26, 2021, 12:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Whilst you can’t learn to be lighting fast you can certainly improve your acceleration and overall speed.

Frank Lampard was told he was going to be released as a youngster as he was too slow. After training was finished he set up his own sprint drills and saw enough of an improvement to keep his place in squad. Clearly he was never Usain Bolt be he was quick enough to cope.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 180
acko338
May 26, 2021, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I never saw sweat on Bobby Moore's shirt, and he handled the likes of Pele and Eusebio by superb positioning and brillant timing of his tackles !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 180
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2021, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

For a large part of his career Ramos has been one of the fastest defenders in the world  

Christ Lew, there must be some slow forwards in Spain then. Ramos gets a head start with a bloody great tattooed arm across the chest, throat, nose or whatever. He used to get skinned when he played full back. But he has made a career out of being a brick wall so fair enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 180
forza ivano
May 26, 2021, 12:37pm

Exile
Quoted from Marinerdan
Whilst you can’t learn to be lighting fast you can certainly improve your acceleration and overall speed.

Frank Lampard was told he was going to be released as a youngster as he was too slow. After training was finished he set up his own sprint drills and saw enough of an improvement to keep his place in squad. Clearly he was never Usain Bolt be he was quick enough to cope.

Phil Foden was profiled in the Times and he did a lot of sessions with a sprints coach from Liverpool Harriers.i've never understood why clubs don't use sprints and high jump coaches from athletics to improve their players. i see so many rubbish running styles with footballers, even a few sessions of how to accelerate and sprint efficiently would improve players no end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 180
Marinerdan
May 26, 2021, 1:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Phil Foden was profiled in the Times and he did a lot of sessions with a sprints coach from Liverpool Harriers.i've never understood why clubs don't use sprints and high jump coaches from athletics to improve their players. i see so many rubbish running styles with footballers, even a few sessions of how to accelerate and sprint efficiently would improve players no end

Me neither. Even with the naturally quick players I'm sure this type of coaching would make them a touch quicker and in the long run make them less susceptible to injuries.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 180
diehardmariner
May 26, 2021, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I think most clubs do nowadays incorporate a whole range of training methods and approaches, especially at the elite level.  Oddly, despite an absolute boatload of money coming into the game for the last 30 years, football has been quite slow on the uptake of advancements in training methods.  

It's absolutely nailed on that we've never had anyone take a look at anything like that though.  I mean when was the last time running fast got you 3 points on the pitch?

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 180
mariner91
May 26, 2021, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,755
Gold Stars: 262

Christ Lew, there must be some slow forwards in Spain then. Ramos gets a head start with a bloody great tattooed arm across the chest, throat, nose or whatever. He used to get skinned when he played full back. But he has made a career out of being a brick wall so fair enough.

He’s clocked a top speed of 30.6km/h in the past. What a cart horse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 180
ska face
May 26, 2021, 3:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Seems to be legs in this one.

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/mattie-pollock.58386/

First mentioned on Watford end back in April, lad who first raised it now saying “nearly a done deal”. Would fit in with their recent recruitment having signed a young lad from Rochdale for £125k and would be a straight replacement for some u23s they’ve shifted on.

Said a while ago the best thing for Pollock’s would be to get a move to a club where he’s got access to decent facilities and better players. If your job is to be a lower league stopper, that’s all you’ll get trained to be here.

I did think there was something up with Hurst in his Humberside interview the other day when asked about Grist, and he said something along the lines of “it’s not like we’re suddenly trying to get rid of ALL our young players...Andrew & Jason have been clear that if anything is done it’ll be for the right reasons”.

Good luck to him, hope he gets it over the line.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 180
Poojah
May 26, 2021, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

First mentioned on Watford end back in April, lad who first raised it now saying “nearly a done deal”. Would fit in with their recent recruitment having signed a young lad from Rochdale for £125k and would be a straight replacement for some u23s they’ve shifted on.

Said a while ago the best thing for Pollock’s would be to get a move to a club where he’s got access to decent facilities and better players. If your job is to be a lower league stopper, that’s all you’ll get trained to be here.

I did think there was something up with Hurst in his Humberside interview the other day when asked about Grist, and he said something along the lines of “it’s not like we’re suddenly trying to get rid of ALL our young players...Andrew & Jason have been clear that if anything is done it’ll be for the right reasons”.

It’s taken nearly two full pages for a thread about us on an opposition messageboard to descend into fish puns. This is serious.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 180
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2021, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

He’s clocked a top speed of 30.6km/h in the past. What a cart horse.

In a Seat Ibiza?

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 180
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 4:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Interesting. I noted that in Hurst said that too, and wondered whether that was in reference to anything.

Hilarious that there one of the quotes off here on their forum is this:

"Where were you saying this? Everybody on here was frigging themselves senseless over Pollock at the start of the season and every time I suggested he's not that good I got about 20 red crosses."

Siri, please generate the most Fishy response ever and send it to Watford.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 180
ska face
May 26, 2021, 4:58pm

Vodka Drinker
From the pen of old galaxy brain himself -

Quoted from pen penfras

Where were you saying this? Everybody on here was frigging themselves senseless over Pollock at the start of the season and every time I suggested he's not that good I got about 20 red crosses.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 180
Mariner_501
May 26, 2021, 5:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Him and Waterfall were the most horrendous partnership and a massive reason we went down. Waterfall can do one and Pollock can leave for a fee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 180
TownSNAFU5
May 26, 2021, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
For smaller clubs the add-ons can be far more profitable than transfer fees.  Exeter made millions with Ollie Watkins when he moved from Brentford to Villa. Even more if England status included.

York City also made a lot of money when Ben Godfrey was transferred from Norwich to Everton for a large fee.  Again, even more lucrative if an England call-up clause was included.

I am sure that the club will be as smart as they can be in any transfers.  Better than in the 1980s when the Ramsden’s sold 1 player and gave one away free.  Hard to break these supermarket habits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 180
DB
May 26, 2021, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Mariner_501
Him and Waterfall were the most horrendous partnership and a massive reason we went down. Waterfall can do one and Pollock can leave for a fee

Sorry to disagree but the most horrendous partnership ever was Holloway and Fenty who were the real reason we went down.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 180
ska face
May 26, 2021, 6:21pm

Vodka Drinker
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamLeventhal/status/1397601696310693889

5 year deal at a Prem club, incredible move for the lad. Will do our standing as a decent option for young players no harm either.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 180
barrattstandman
May 26, 2021, 6:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483

In a Seat Ibiza?

You have obviously either got something against Sergio or you have not seen enough of him play . He is a mixture of Rio Ferdinand and Ron Harris . Put those together and you have one of the best centre backs in the world
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 180
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2021, 6:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barrattstandman

You have obviously either got something against Sergio or you have not seen enough of him play . He is a mixture of Rio Ferdinand and Ron Harris . Put those together and you have one of the best centre backs in the world

I know I’m being tongue in cheek about him but I do regard him as a Grade A thug on the pitch who has got away with so much over the years it’s unbelievable. Shame. I just don’t understand why a player needs to be such a persistent fouler.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 180
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamLeventhal/status/1397601696310693889

5 year deal at a Premium club, incredible move for the lad. Will do our standing as a decent option for young players no harm either.

100k is a small amount for a 19 year old with almost 50 league appearances though really, I'd like to think we've got some good add ons on that if it's true. I know we've just gone down, but they've just gone up to the Prem. Great move for him though, like you say.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 180
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2021, 6:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Son of Cod

100k is a small amount for a 19 year old with almost 50 league appearances though really, I'd like to think we've got some good add ons on that if it's true. I know we've just gone down, but they've just gone up to the Prem. Great move for him though, like you say.

I'd agree with this, you'd assume that the add on's related to 1st team appearances ahead of massive sell on's.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 180
Heswall Mariner
May 26, 2021, 7:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Mmm - aint seen any confirmation from GTFC or Watford on this rumour?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 180
Poojah
May 26, 2021, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Follow-up tweet suggests substantial add-ons:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamLeventhal/status/1397606822387847173

That said, £100k (ish) up-front seems a little on the low side - we got £500k for Ryan Bennett from a League One club well over a decade ago, and we know how mad money at the top-level has gone since then. Other notable League 2* centre-back transfers include:

Ben Godfrey: York to Norwich - £2.7m (18 years old, 12 appearances)

Ben Wilmot: Stevenage to Watford - £1.5m (18 years old, 10 appearances)

Jordan Storey: Exeter to Preston - £765k (20 years old, 13 appearances)

George Edmundson: Oldham to Rangers - £700k (21 years old, 76 appearances)

These are basic examples, I get that. There’s more to scouting young talent than looking at how many games they’ve played by what age, but given the relatively similar profiles and the fact that he is at least good enough to have interested Premier League teams in the first place, surely he has to be worth significantly more than £100k as an up front fee?

Realistically; if Watford sign 50 players like Mattie for £100k plus add-ons and only one makes it, that’s still going to have cost them a lot less than having gone out and bought a proven top flight centre-half in this early to mid-twenties (not withstanding the fact that they’ll probably still be able to recover any losses by selling on those who don’t make the cut for a nominal fee).

The journo in question seems trustworthy, but that kind of figure just doesn’t seem right.

*I know we’re not a League Two club anymore but that’s ultimately the level Pollock has been plying his trade.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 180
lew chaterleys lover
May 26, 2021, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
I am surprised a Premier League club are in for Pollock if these reports are true. His chronic lack of pace would be ruthlessly exposed higher up the pyramid. I don't even think he would have been first choice in the Conference.

However, if Watford are taking him then the 100,000 pounds quoted is ridiculous. That is chicken feed at clubs awash with money. I cannot see the new owners accepting offers like that. We would be gambling on add ons which probably won't materialise.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 180
buckstown
May 26, 2021, 7:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 80
Good luck to the boy if it's true, hope he makes it. 2 years ago when he first appeared he was our great hope but the club was a shambles last year and nobody looked good
He'll have access to top quality physical conditioning coaches and be given every chance to succeed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 180
headingly_mariner
May 26, 2021, 8:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
He’ll be a star that boy. Dominant in the air and a good reader of the game. Lacking pace, but a great brain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 180
ginnywings
May 26, 2021, 8:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
I am surprised a Premier League club are in for Pollock if these reports are true. His chronic lack of pace would be ruthlessly exposed higher up the pyramid. I don't even think he would have been first choice in the Conference.

However, if Watford are taking him then the 100,000 pounds quoted is ridiculous. That is chicken feed at clubs awash with money. I cannot see the new owners accepting offers like that. We would be gambling on add ons which probably won't materialise.

They are paying for potential, though I do think £100.000 is a bit light nowadays.

Looks like more money will be forthcoming if he racks up games, which isn't a given, though I do think he is better than some are giving him credit for.

Good luck to the lad. He must be buzzing if this is true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 180
Mariner_501
May 26, 2021, 9:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from DB

Sorry to disagree but the most horrendous partnership ever was Holloway and Fenty who were the real reason we went down.

Yeah can’t disagree with that to be fair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 26, 2021, 9:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
£100,000 is paltry IMO. He’s not going to get into a premier league side so the add ons aren’t going to be much cop, unless he’s sold for ten times that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 180
Southwark Mariner
May 26, 2021, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
it suggests he might be loaned back to us. That's probably the best situation. He only had one year left on his contract so no real incentive to sign a new contract with a non-league club. If we can get £100k, a loan back and a load of potential add-ons then it seems a good move.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 180
Maringer
May 26, 2021, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
I'd be amazed if Pollock ever made it at Premier League level, but it would be a great move for the lad if there is some truth in the story. I'd imagine he'd be earning a lot more than he could with us and will presumably have access to better fitness and coaching facilities than at Cheapside. Even if he doesn't get a game at Watford, he'd probably get a move to League One or thereabouts afterwards.

£100k doesn't sound like a lot of money but you have to remember that he was part of a terrible defence at the worst club in the league.

Ultimately, I'd be happy to see him playing for us next season, but wouldn't expect him to be a standout player if he did stay. Certainly replaceable in the shorter term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 26, 2021, 10:26pm
Meths Drinker
See the other amounts quoted above for defenders sold from this level.  It seems hasty to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 180
ska face
May 26, 2021, 10:33pm

Vodka Drinker
We also got £100k for Rumarn Burrell, Siriki Dembele and I think £150k for Jack Barlow. Just goes to show, there isn’t a “going rate” for these kind of deals.

Anyway, the fee increases “substantially” according to the reports. So if he’s any good we get a load more money, if he’s no good we’ve got £100k for a busted flush. Win win.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 180
Maringer
May 26, 2021, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Depends on the add-ons, I suppose. Those other players may be more highly-rated than Pollock by those teams involved.

I suppose I'm just confused by it. He's got a marked lack of pace and I can't see how he could be considered a Premier League prospect. I think back in comparison to Bennett who was a much better player at that age and yet has only managed a middling career at the top level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 180
fishcake63
May 26, 2021, 10:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Think both pollock & waterfall both got hung out to dry & made scapegoats , played in front of a keeper who was shocking under holloway and a midfield of rose & spokes or taylor that offered no protection , coke & matete made a differance to our defending plus hursts negative tactics , these two didn't play in half of the games either & we still got relegated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 180
forza ivano
May 26, 2021, 10:42pm

Exile
Baah has just been signed by Watford from rochdale for 125k, but has played less than half the games pollock has. V disappointed if it's only 100k.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 180
toontown
May 26, 2021, 10:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Well good luck to the lad, it would give him a fighting chance of getting set up for life. Personally I think the notion of him playing regularly at premier league level is rather fanciful given his epic lack of pace and mobility as well as poor passing ability. Wpuld be delighted for him to prove me wrong though!

Would be quite happy to have him stay - he's exceptionally calm for his age, reads the game well, has good control, is strong as an ox and fantastic in the air as well as chipping in with goals. I'm sure he would be very capable of dealing with NL target men types.

100k does seem rather light but perhaps reflects that nobody else in the prem sees him as prem material either so they can afford to low ball us if they loanback and offer generous add ons?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 180
jamesgtfc
May 26, 2021, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Depends on what the add ons are but it could be £50k when he makes his debut which could realistically happen in a cup competition, £50k after a few appearances, £50k if Watford stay up, a fee for international appearances and then a sell on clause.

If he "failed" at Watford, a club could still take a punt on him for £500k-£1m.

The alternative is to run down his contract and get next to nothing at tribunal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 180
TAGG
May 26, 2021, 11:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
If he's gone there then good luck to the lad.
Hes a very good prospect and is better than a lot on here give him credit for.
The only reason his form dropped was because of that male masturbator Hollowhead.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 180
forza ivano
May 26, 2021, 11:48pm

Exile
Am told the add ons are extremely good.
Apparently Grist was at Leicester Monday.when he goes it looks like we will have lost 2 good young centre halves to premier clubs for c£125k. How is that fair? Seems hardly worth while having a Youth structure
Ps am also told pollock wont be back on.loan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 180
Maringer
May 26, 2021, 11:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
The only reason his form dropped was because of that male masturbator Hollowhead.

Didn't I read that he had a hernia, or was it some other sort of injury? That would certainly help to explain his poor form when he was in the team as he looked competent the year before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 180
SheepGTFC
May 27, 2021, 3:00am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
think long term, clear to see Pollock has talent. being at watford with their facilities and staff will help him. we we receive financial reward in the long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 180
brigg_mariner
May 27, 2021, 7:48am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from forza ivano
Am told the add ons are extremely good.
Apparently Grist was at Leicester Monday.when he goes it looks like we will have lost 2 good young centre halves to premier clubs for c£125k. How is that fair? Seems hardly worth while having a Youth structure
Ps am also told pollock wont be back on.loan

Are Watford still involved with Udinese?

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 180
pontoonlew
May 27, 2021, 7:51am
Vodka Drinker
Slightly disappointed it’s only 100k but we’ve just received 100k purely off the back of Dembele getting promoted so if the add ons are anything of that sort we’ll likely see a fair bit more than that over the coming years.

Good luck to him, always gives me a sense of pride when somebody we sell at a young age goes on to achieve something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 180
Meza
May 27, 2021, 8:22am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
We've got idehen and gouldry as well.  So probably be breakthrough season for them.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 180
pontoonlew
May 27, 2021, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Meza
We've got idehen and gouldry as well.  So probably be breakthrough season for them.

From what I saw from Idehen he's a million miles off at the minute. Holloways fault for chucking him in the deep end mind you, but he looked absolutely all over the place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 180
Son of Cod
May 27, 2021, 9:09am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
We also got £100k for Rumarn Burrell, Siriki Dembele and I think £150k for Jack Barlow. Just goes to show, there isn’t a “going rate” for these kind of deals.

Anyway, the fee increases “substantially” according to the reports. So if he’s any good we get a load more money, if he’s no good we’ve got £100k for a busted flush. Win win.

A busted flush in the Premier League might well not have been in League One though, where we'd have had a significantly better chance of getting a decent sell on. No point on dwelling on it, it's irrelevant now. We can't really be turning down six figure fees let alone be holding out to choose what level/club we sell to.

I guess we can look back at the time we didn't sell Michael Reddy to Bristol City for 300k at the end of the 05/06 season and then he fell off the face of the Earth. Sometimes it's just better to get that money in. Good to see that the reports have now been caveated with the "rise significantly" bit now.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 180
Jarmo.Is.God
May 27, 2021, 9:18am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Not properly read this thread, but to me, 100k is a good deal all round.

Pros for Watford:
Young
Played 50? senior games already

Cons:
Just had a relegation on his CV
Injured for 2/3 months of the season

To us, you take into account the injuries
he's got 1 year left, and come next year can leave on a free
he has big potential, so 100k, plus 'significant' add ons is a good deal for both parties IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 180
diehardmariner
May 27, 2021, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
When you look at some of the fees that have been chucked about, £100k does seem a bit poor.

But we don't know the inner details of the deal.  A lot has been said about the add-ons, it may well be that Town insisted more on the add-ons than the actual deal, preferring to take a little less now in the hope that the add-on value will far exceed it in the future.

Dembele felt like a low fee but that's looking likely to net us a windfall far greater than we could have hoped for from the initial fee.  

Much said about Pollock's form last season, he was injured for most of it.  Carrying a hernia I believe.  On a bad day, it's painful getting up the stairs with a hernia problem, never mind playing professional football.  He was badly exposed due to this around him as well.  I still think his lack of pace may be the thing that prevents him making it at a higher level, but who knows what better facilities will bring.  
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 180
cannylad68
May 27, 2021, 9:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Good luck to Mattie.

I suggested months ago that he would be better off finding another club.
I don't see why he can't make it at that level.

I really hope he does and prove the football 'experts' on here wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 180
GTFCH
May 27, 2021, 10:14am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
Agreed, as strange as it may seem to some, the boy will be better suited to playing at a higher level IMO. Hope he does well!

It’ll be another season of not playing in front of fans for him though at U23 Premier L level. Hope he’s ready to make the adjustment, footy at that level is very different to the do or die of the lower leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 180
sam gy
May 27, 2021, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
People on here not rating him reeks of the old classic "Rob Atkinson is better than Ryan Bennett" line that used to get thrown about on here when we sold Bennett.

He's clearly got a lot of talent and a mature head on him for someone his age..remember he is only 19 and has loads of time to improve. I also think he's a good passer of the ball!

Good luck to him.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 180
Poojah
May 27, 2021, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
People on here not rating him reeks of the old classic "Rob Atkinson is better than Ryan Bennett" line that used to get thrown about on here when we sold Bennett.

He's clearly got a lot of talent and a mature head on him for someone his age..remember he is only 19 and has loads of time to improve. I also think he's a good passer of the ball!

Good luck to him.

Whilst I don't remember conforming to that view personally, it has nevertheless surprised me just how far apart the two ended up in their respective careers. Age 30, one was playing in the Premier League whilst the other was knocking about in the Conference North for Guiseley.

The crucial thing to remember is that Bennett was three years younger than Atkinson - that's significant in the context of central defenders. There are very few centre-halves who have the physical and mental maturity, let alone the talent, to play regular EFL football to a competent level at age 18 / 19. Look around the rest of leagues One and Two - it's literally exceptional.

Of course there are flaws in his game, his lack of pace being the obvious one. But in this modern age there's a lot you can do to improve that with the right facilities and conditioning - speed isn't a purely innate quality. He can also build on other areas of his game so that those weaknesses become less of an issue; it's a classic and almost cliché example now but Paul Futcher had no pace whatsoever by the time he rocked up at BP, but it was largely irrelevant as he was intelligent enough to avoid getting into situations where he was exposed.

Pollock has another decade to hit his peak. No guarantees by any means but that's ample time to improve to an unrecognisable degree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 180
pontoonlew
May 27, 2021, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Good luck to him.

Let's face it, we're probably the best fan base in the world at not rating our quality players and criminally overrating our shite ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 180
diehardmariner
May 27, 2021, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Regards Futcher, did he ever have pace or did he adapt his game as his pace left him?

John McDermott was a very, very nippy full-back that used his pace as a great asset in his early career.  As he got older and he developed a few injury problems, his pace left him a little (I don't think he ever became slow) but he had developed his game to the point where he offset his loss of pace with his positional sense and general know-how.  Further up the ladder, Ryan Giggs was a flying winger when he was younger.  Age and injury saw him lose that electric speed but he was good enough to adapt his game in other ways, but playing at that higher level when he had pace exposed him to better players who he could learn from.

Pollock simply doesn't have pace, he might get quicker but he's never going to be fast.  He looks slow at our level, at Championship/Premier League level he'll stand out like a mile.   The question for my mind would be how good are his other attributes and how far can he go with them?  At what point of the league ladder will he reach before his lack of pace holds him up?  Does he read the game well enough now to make up for his lack of speed?  

Going back to the McDermott point, he was able to develop his reading of the game because he played at a higher level which allowed him to play against better players, understand them and learn how to defend against them in ways other than just with his pace.  He didn't have that natural ability to read the game instantly, he was afforded the chance to learn because his other attributes meant he wasn't a liability as a youngster.

I'm not saying Pollock is or would be a liability, but I do wonder what chances he'll be afforded to learn at a higher level and develop his reading of game against and with better players.

I actually hope the lad goes on to do really well in his career.  He's never given anything but his everything when he's pulled on that Town shirt and I think it's a shame we can't hold onto him.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 180
Son of Cod
May 27, 2021, 12:33pm
Champagne Drinker
I'm disappointed we never sang HIS NAME IS A FISH, HIS NAME IS A FIIIIIISH, MATTIE POLLOCK, HIS NAME IS A FISH to be honest. We should be ashamed of that. Unless we did and I missed it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 180
Poojah
May 27, 2021, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
I'm disappointed we never sang HIS NAME IS A FISH, HIS NAME IS A FIIIIIISH, MATTIE POLLOCK, HIS NAME IS A FISH to be honest. We should be ashamed of that. Unless we did and I missed it.

How on earth did we miss an opportunity like that?

My last and abiding memory of Mattie in a Town shirt is after the win at Scunny last season, celebrating in front the away end. The lad looked absolutely pleased as punch, every bit as chuffed as the rest of us. What a feeling that must be for a young kid.

Anyway, putting the financial aspects of any deal to one side, it’s a brilliant opportunity for him. Never saw him give less than 100% for us - you can’t help but wish him all the best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 180
Les Brechin
May 27, 2021, 1:23pm

I think from the moment he made his debut at Exeter in 2018/19 when we won 2-1 it was pretty obvious he'd go on to bigger and better things.

He was immense that day for a 17-year old kid making his first team debut.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 180
livosnose
May 27, 2021, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,182
Quoted from Les Brechin
I think from the moment he made his debut at Exeter in 2018/19 when we won 2-1 it was pretty obvious he'd go on to bigger and better things.

He was immense that day for a 17-year old kid making his first team debut.

and he took one right in the jaffas on the goal line !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 180
forza ivano
May 27, 2021, 4:30pm

Exile
Good job we weren't relying on the pollock transfer fee to pay off fenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 180
pontoonlew
May 27, 2021, 4:33pm
Vodka Drinker
The fee is actually £250,000! Much better, great news
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 180
Marinerdan
May 27, 2021, 4:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
The fee has been confirmed as 250k

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 180
GhostDan
May 27, 2021, 4:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
That's a very very impressive deal for the club, be interesting to hear if there's anymore add ons.

Cheers Mattie, good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 180
Hagrid

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,497
Gold Stars: 537
250K into PH Budget hopefully

plus add ons

best of luck to the lad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 180
Southwark Mariner
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 180
Jarmo.Is.God
May 27, 2021, 4:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Not properly read this thread, but to me, 100k is a good deal all round.

Pros for Watford:
Young
Played 50? senior games already

Cons:
Just had a relegation on his CV
Injured for 2/3 months of the season

To us, you take into account the injuries
he's got 1 year left, and come next year can leave on a free
he has big potential, so 100k, plus 'significant' add ons is a good deal for both parties IMO

150% more than i was happy with.... beautiful

Go smash it Mattie!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 180
Northbank Mariner
May 27, 2021, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Fair play to his agent(his dad) getting this deal sorted, really hope he kicks on and be interesting to watch his progression through the ranks.
Nice little lump into our own transfer coffers and should Dembele go from posh then hopefully we'll not be down Poundland this year and we'll actually spend some money on a decent squad for next season
Anyway, I digress, all the best to Mattie and alsi kudos to Neil Woods too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 180
Les Brechin
May 27, 2021, 4:52pm

Good luck to the lad in his future career, hope he earns us a load more wonga.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 180
crusty ole pie
May 27, 2021, 4:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,381
Gold Stars: 66
Nice to be told the value and not the usual undisclosed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 180
Poojah
May 27, 2021, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
I must admit, when the story began to emerge yesterday the figure of £100k just didn't seem right. Assuming we have some healthy add-ons, I feel much better about it than I did yesterday.

Short of an auction between prospective suitors, we of course lost leverage when we dropped out of the league whilst he also he only had one year to run on his contract - I would have had little expectation of any tribunal cutting us a fair deal.

To put this into context, I think this is the third largest initial transfer fee we have received for a player since we sold Jack Lester over 20 years ago (Christ, that makes me feel old). Only Bogle and Bennett have gone for more. It's also almost 1.5x the impressive amount raised by Operation Promotion back in 2015, and it will go a long way in the National League on top of the £100k already received from Peterborough and next season's parachute money. Oh, and of course, no benign loan repayments!

Things are looking up. We just need Dembele to get his arsé in gear, be a good boy now, Siriki...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 180
gobby
May 27, 2021, 5:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Good luck Matty.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 180
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 27, 2021, 5:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,311
Gold Stars: 309
250k is the initial fee. Got to assume there are add ons so we need him to make 50 first team appearances next season, get into the England squad and see Watford qualify for the Champions League and we'll be laughing.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 5:40pm
Meths Drinker
250k is the initial fee. Got to assume there are add ons so we need him to make 50 first team appearances next season, get into the England squad and see Watford qualify for the Champions League and we'll be laughing.

😂 Are you Knut in disguise?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 180
forza ivano
May 27, 2021, 5:42pm

Exile
and we will get a little bit of compo if Grist goes to leicester. i've been guessing it will be about the £25,000 we got from Boro for Burrell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 180
moosey_club
May 27, 2021, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Good luck Matty. Old head on young shoulders at times. Hope your career goes from strength to strength.
Definitely a case of once a Mariner always  Mariner as far as I am concerned and will hopefully get the same feeling of pride I got when glimpsing Crofty, Oster, Butterfield or Bennett on the big stage.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 180
lukeo
May 27, 2021, 6:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Good luck to him!

I'm sure the new owners aren't daft, they're not going to chuck it alll at PH and say 'fill your boots'
I do hope this sale has slightly loosened the wages purse for next season but not dramatically. I'd rather them use it towards better facilities etc. Which I'm sure is the case anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 180
smokey111
May 27, 2021, 6:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from lukeo
Good luck to him!

I'm sure the new owners aren't daft, they're not going to chuck it alll at PH and say 'fill your boots'
I do hope this sale has slightly loosened the wages purse for next season but not dramatically. I'd rather them use it towards better facilities etc. Which I'm sure is the case anyway.

Not sure it will have made much difference to the wage budget. Doubt he was in the Green/Hanson category. Nor Macca or Williams, of those still here.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 180
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 27, 2021, 6:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from lukeo
Good luck to him!

‘Paul, we’ve decided to sell pollock on to Watford. We’re gonna get £250k for him’

‘Do I get some extra transfer funds?’

‘You can have £600 mate. We’re getting cushelle in the loo’s’

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 180
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 27, 2021, 6:48pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
What would be nice as part of the deal that we can have a friendly against Watford so we can see Matty back here in his new colours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 180
jamesgtfc
May 27, 2021, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

‘Paul, we’ve decided to sell pollock on to Watford. We’re gonna get £250k for him’

‘Do I get some extra transfer funds?’

‘You can have £600 mate. We’re getting cushelle in the loo’s’

We've had a few complaints from the lady referees Paul so we are going to put in a new sink in the referees changing room.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 180
louth_in_the_south
May 27, 2021, 7:16pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
I would hope that the ££ received from player sales will be reinvested in the squad budget before facilities tbh

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 180
jaygy
May 27, 2021, 7:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I would hope that the ££ received from player sales will be reinvested in the squad budget before facilities tbh

I think the new owners are the type of guys that will put their hands in their own pockets to upgrade facilities as a kind of speculate to accumulate way of thinking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 180
Les Brechin
May 27, 2021, 7:51pm

Someone's done well to get him a 5-year deal. That'll take him to 24 year old.

By then we'll know if he's "made" it or not.

Good luck Mattie.

https://www.watfordfc.com/news/official-watford-sign-pollock

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 180
1mickylyons
May 27, 2021, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Good luck to the lad he can play he is brave as a Lion and like many others my main reserve is his lack of pace.At 19 I would expect him to get better especially training and playing with better players and his reading of the game will improve . The fee is probably about par and I wish him every future success and in turn hope the transfer fee goes into PH warchest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 180
TonySmith
May 27, 2021, 7:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
  I think every penny that can reasonably be given to Paul Hurst to create hopefully a promotion winning squad is the most important use of money. He is a good judge of a player and that needs to be backed. Money is what will lure the best possible players who are willing to play non-league football. If we can't at least match the financial offers of the teams who will be our rivals then we will miss out. Yes, good facilities are important but at the end of the day, this club needs to be in the football league and the only people who can bring that about are the management team and the players on the field. I doubt it's anyone's long term ambition to have the best facilities in non-league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 7:59pm
Meths Drinker
Good luck to Mattie.

(God that shirt is awful. What were they thinking of?)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 180
1mickylyons
May 27, 2021, 8:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Quoted from TonySmith
  I think every penny that can reasonably be given to Paul Hurst to create hopefully a promotion winning squad is the most important use of money. He is a good judge of a player and that needs to be backed. Money is what will lure the best possible players who are willing to play non-league football. If we can't at least match the financial offers of the teams who will be our rivals then we will miss out. Yes, good facilities are important but at the end of the day, this club needs to be in the football league and the only people who can bring that about are the management team and the players on the field. I doubt it's anyone's long term ambition to have the best facilities in non-league football.

I think given the feelgood factor around GTFC at the moment PH will have a very competitive budget and any kind of decent start will see home gates of over 4k. Whilst not wanting to heap pressure on him or the team I would think it fair to expect us to mount a Play Off/Promotion challenge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 180
toontown
May 27, 2021, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Brilliant news for Mattie and a nice shot in the arm for our budget, a five year deal gives him the absolute best chance of making it too. He was a cool head as a teenager in hectic league 2 games against professionals so he is going to be completely  unflappable in the world of u23 no crowd tippy tappy matches.

Good luck mattie!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 180
Abdul19
May 27, 2021, 8:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Great move for him, good luck!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 180
acko338
May 27, 2021, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Good business all round - young player comes through the ranks and earns higher level transfer on a long deal.

Grimsby Youth development gains kudos from nurturing young talent - scouts can state this when asking lads to sign.

Advertise that this is the better route into first team playing and being seen by higher level scouts.

Players will work harder in their youth time to gain a contract.

First team gets more local grown talent to get behind as one of their own, and we start a hopeful conveyor belt of home grown professionals with ingrown GTFC loyalty.

Remember the Moores , Drinkell , Lumby, Ford,  Bennett all being brought through to first team status.

Then, if good enough to play higher, Town win again and earn a transfer fee.

Youth development ?? Win, win !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 9:29pm
Meths Drinker
The other thing about Pollock’s case is that he didn’t make it at a big club (Leeds) let alone get scooped up into a premier league club’s academy. But he’s ended up on a pro contract at a premier league club by coming to Grimsby. A similar trajectory to Ryan Bennett. That’s got to be a great selling point for our youth team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 180
Limerick Mariner
May 27, 2021, 9:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from acko338
Good business all round - young player comes through the ranks and earns higher level transfer on a long deal.

Grimsby Youth development gains kudos from nurturing young talent - scouts can state this when asking lads to sign.

Advertise that this is the better route into first team playing and being seen by higher level scouts.

Players will work harder in their youth time to gain a contract.

First team gets more local grown talent to get behind as one of their own, and we start a hopeful conveyor belt of home grown professionals with ingrown GTFC loyalty.

Remember the Moores , Drinkell , Lumby, Ford,  Bennett all being brought through to first team status.

Then, if good enough to play higher, Town win again and earn a transfer fee.

Youth development ?? Win, win !!

Is that like the Blackadder Goes Forth scene when he's trying to catch the spy and refers to great British Universities - Oxford, Cambridge and Hull...

I think Lumby did more for Scunthorpe than Town - pretty sure he scored against us on a Friday night at the OSG

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 180
HertsGTFC
May 27, 2021, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Good news all round I think for the player and the club. Cleary as he finished near the top of our goal scoring charts last season he caught there eye.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 180
ginnywings
May 27, 2021, 10:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Great news for Mattie and good luck to him for the future.

Kudos for Woods and his team that we have players at the club who are attracting attention from above. Must be a good selling point when attracting young players in the future.

As for spending the windfall on the squad; are there any restrictions in the National League like FFP or salary caps?

Not au fait with non league. Thought we'd never end up back there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 180
gtfc_akpa_akpro
May 27, 2021, 10:22pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The other thing about Pollock’s case is that he didn’t make it at a big club (Leeds) let alone get scooped up into a premier league club’s academy. But he’s ended up on a pro contract at a premier league club by coming to Grimsby. A similar trajectory to Ryan Bennett. That’s got to be a great selling point for our youth team.

My understanding was Bennett chose to come to us to play first team football instead of playing youth games. Benefitted him in the long run I’d say.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 180
toontown
May 27, 2021, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Great news for Mattie and good luck to him for the future.

Kudos for Woods and his team that we have players at the club who are attracting attention from above. Must be a good selling point when attracting young players in the future.

As for spending the windfall on the squad; are there any restrictions in the National League like FFP or salary caps?

Not au fait with non league. Thought we'd never end up back there.

Am pretty certain there are no salary caps, and that was ruled illegal for EFL clubs anyway.

Not sure about financial fair play rules determining you can only spend a percentage of your income on wages tho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 11:21pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

My understanding was Bennett chose to come to us to play first team football instead of playing youth games. Benefitted him in the long run I’d say.

Started in the youth team didn’t he? His aspiration may have been first team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 180
diehardmariner
May 28, 2021, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
I must admit, when the story began to emerge yesterday the figure of £100k just didn't seem right. Assuming we have some healthy add-ons, I feel much better about it than I did yesterday.

Short of an auction between prospective suitors, we of course lost leverage when we dropped out of the league whilst he also he only had one year to run on his contract - I would have had little expectation of any tribunal cutting us a fair deal.

To put this into context, I think this is the third largest initial transfer fee we have received for a player since we sold Jack Lester over 20 years ago (Christ, that makes me feel old). Only Bogle and Bennett have gone for more. It's also almost 1.5x the impressive amount raised by Operation Promotion back in 2015, and it will go a long way in the National League on top of the £100k already received from Peterborough and next season's parachute money. Oh, and of course, no benign loan repayments!

Things are looking up. We just need Dembele to get his arsé in gear, be a good boy now, Siriki...

Think we got £350k for Ashcroft a few months after the Lester sale. Either way it's staggering that we've really had so few sales in the last 20 years.  After the sales of both Ashcroft and Lester in 2000, I'm struggling to think of more than seven we've actually sold since.  Bennett, Connell, Bogle, Dembele then Barlow and Burrell and of course now Pollock.  Surely more?
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 180
devs
May 28, 2021, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
All of the extra cash mentioned in posts must surely mean a far better war chest for PH?
Plus GTFC will be one of main draw non league clubs for prospective signings - new owners; new pitches; better training facilities; 4000 crowds (?); PH won promotion before etc etc

Could tip the balance when we are competing for 'better' players?

Looking good...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 180
Les Brechin
May 28, 2021, 12:36pm

Didn't we have his older brother on trial a few years back.

Sure I can remember him scoring for us in a pre-season friendly.

I wonder what happend to him as I've not heard about him since.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 180
RonMariner
May 28, 2021, 1:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,849
Gold Stars: 230
With £350k in the tin already from Pollock and Dembele, and possibly more if Dembele moves, we could be sitting pretty.

During our last spell down there  Fleetwood, Crawley and Luton basically bought their way out via the top spot. Trouble is that they had to spend a million or more on players to do it.

Still, with Hurst committed to bringing in almost an entire new squad we should have the funds to attract some real quality.

Pay them and they will come.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 180
Poojah
May 28, 2021, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Think we got £350k for Ashcroft a few months after the Lester sale. Either way it's staggering that we've really had so few sales in the last 20 years.  After the sales of both Ashcroft and Lester in 2000, I'm struggling to think of more than seven we've actually sold since.  Bennett, Connell, Bogle, Dembele then Barlow and Burrell and of course now Pollock.  Surely more?

We got some money back for Sam Jones, didn't we? Still, it doesn't change the complexion of your point - the conveyor belt at our talent factory has been barely operational since the turn of the millennium.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 180
Brazilnut
May 28, 2021, 1:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Didn't we pay money to Watford for Jimmy Gillian or someone like that ?

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 180
forza ivano
May 28, 2021, 3:42pm

Exile
the other point is that the more we get recognised for bringing players through and selling players on, the more it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - agents, players and parents realise that Gy is a good place for them to be at, as they will be given a chance and so we get offered better players than we would otherwise expect. It means we can spread our net further, and again will bring better players in

It's all good at the moment with Grist and Pollock moving on and getting us good money;
Clifton & Wright (when fit) are regulars in the side;
Idehen and Starbuck have also featured a number of times (although imho they both have a vital season in front of them)
Khouri is already attracting interest
Adlard, Ghoundry and Boyd coming through *
And a bit further down the age groups I'm told that a lad called Harvey Tomlinson looks promising

* i haven't mentioned Battersby who seems to divide opinion- some have said he's a bit 'meh' but others say he is a real prospect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 180
rancido
May 28, 2021, 11:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We've had a few complaints from the lady referees Paul so we are going to put in a new sink in the referees changing room.

......... and a toilet instead of just a urinal

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2021, 11:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

......... and a toilet instead of just a urinal

As well as a sink?! We’re not made of money. A sink is dual purpose, if it’s well supported for the ‘larger’ lady refs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 180
toontown
May 29, 2021, 6:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

That has definitely been sung at town matches before. Seem to remember Chelsea was one of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 180
HertsGTFC
May 29, 2021, 6:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think overall this is a good news story. We get a decent fee for a youngster, no doubt with add on’s. The lad gets a 5 year deal which will mean he’s got the security to develop without fear of being turfed out after a couple of seasons.

I’d hope a large proportion of the money goes into the playing budget at all levels with a well earned chunk going to support Woods and the Youth set up.

I just wonder though now where back in non league what impact that will have in attracting future talent fro across the wider Region?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 180
Posh Harry
May 29, 2021, 7:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,375
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Brazilnut
Didn't we pay money to Watford for Jimmy Gillian or someone like that ?

Jimmy Gilligan

I think it was £250k wasn’t it? And he was pretty much dog turd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 180
moosey_club
May 29, 2021, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
the other point is that the more we get recognised for bringing players through and selling players on, the more it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - agents, players and parents realise that Gy is a good place for them to be at, as they will be given a chance and so we get offered better players than we would otherwise expect. It means we can spread our net further, and again will bring better players in

It's all good at the moment with Grist and Pollock moving on and getting us good money;
Clifton & Wright (when fit) are regulars in the side;
Idehen and Starbuck have also featured a number of times (although imho they both have a vital season in front of them)
Khouri is already attracting interest
Adlard, Ghoundry and Boyd coming through *
Quoted Text
And a bit further down the age groups I'm told that a lad called Harvey Tomlinson looks promising

* i haven't mentioned Battersby who seems to divide opinion- some have said he's a bit 'meh' but others say he is a real prospect

Played 5 a side with him and 2 or 3 others from the same youth team group a year or so back, they used to come along in close season, like alot of young players today all very good with the ball at their feet...and even at 13/14 they weren't bothered about playing against guys ranging from 20 - 50, happy to mix it when needed.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 180
moosey_club
May 29, 2021, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

As well as a sink?! We’re not made of money. A sink is dual purpose, if it’s well supported for the ‘larger’ lady refs.

DuaI purpose....I think you are getting confused with that 4th piece of a bathroom suite the bidet, good for urinating, retching and washing your sandy flip flops off

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 29, 2021, 2:45pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

DuaI purpose....I think you are getting confused with that 4th piece of a bathroom suite the bidet, good for urinating, retching and washing your sandy flip flops off

Thats a great idea. When it's time to replace the sink we can invest in a bidet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 180
golfer
May 29, 2021, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

I've never heard it called a "flip flop"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 180
rancido
May 29, 2021, 3:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from golfer

I've never heard it called a "flip flop"

Don't they call them "thongs" in Australia? I know in Florida the call them "slaps"!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 180
moosey_club
May 30, 2021, 9:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
We need to sign a good replacement now, similar standing maybe, brave, young centre half with potential and most importantly whose name is also a fish, otherwise we lose another great chant

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 180
ginnywings
May 30, 2021, 10:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Classic fishy thread.

"He's never good enough for the Prem- too slow." Premier League club buys him.

"Only £100,000? He's worth way more than that". Premier League club gives us £250,000 with add ons.

"He'll never make it to the first team- too slow". Premier League club gives him 5 year deal.

He's 19 and been playing in the EFL since he was 17- no mean feat.

At 17, Riyad Mahrez was being rejected by St Mirren. No one knows how a player will develop over time, but Mattie has a chance at least. Hope he makes it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 180
DB
May 30, 2021, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Classic fishy thread.

"He's never good enough for the Prem- too slow." Premier League club buys him.

"Only £100,000? He's worth way more than that". Premier League club gives us £250,000 with add ons.

"He'll never make it to the first team- too slow". Premier League club gives him 5 year deal.

He's 19 and been playing in the EFL since he was 17- no mean feat.

At 17, Riyad Mahrez was being rejected by St Mirren. No one knows how a player will develop over time, but Mattie has a chance at least. Hope he makes it.

I think you summed it up pretty well.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 180
arryarryarry
May 31, 2021, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 180
arryarryarry
May 31, 2021, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Posh Harry

Jimmy Gilligan

I think it was £250k wasn’t it? And he was pretty much dog turd.

I thought it was £100,000.

Yep, he was pretty crap.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2021, 10:54am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Yep, he was pretty crap.

I think you’re right. We never paid that much (£250k) for anyone except for Lee Ashcroft (£500k) and Phil Jevons (£300k).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 180
DB
May 31, 2021, 1:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Yep, he was pretty crap.

Yes, your right it was £100,000
Yes, he was absolutely useless and we sold him on for £30,000. He scored 6 goals in total which probably makes him at £11,000+ per goal the most expensive striker we have ever had.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 180
Davec
May 31, 2021, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Quoted from DB

Yes, your right it was £100,000
Yes, he was absolutely useless and we sold him on for £30,000. He scored 6 goals in total which probably makes him at £11,000+ per goal the most expensive striker we have ever had.

Lee Ashcroft didn't score as many goals as we hoped, he cost 33k per league goal, however we did sell him for 350k so take that into consideration and it'll be 10k for league goal

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 180
Heswall Mariner
May 31, 2021, 1:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Approval: +594
We bought Gilligan from Watford following recommendation from ex player Graham Taylor.
I seem to recall our chairman at the time expressing his dismay at Taylor for selling us a dud!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 180
jamesgtfc
May 31, 2021, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Davec

Lee Ashcroft didn't score as many goals as we hoped, he cost 33k per league goal, however we did sell him for 350k so take that into consideration and it'll be 10k for league goal

I think most of Ashcroft's goals for us were penalties too. It's a miracle we got most of that fee back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 180
livosnose
May 31, 2021, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Don't they call them "thongs" in Australia? I know in Florida the call them "slaps"!

In the Caribbean they are called slippers .....

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 180
SheepGTFC
June 1, 2021, 4:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Man City splashing 400k on a 13 year old from a L2 club.

https://www.stevenagefc.com/ne.....tuesday-1-june-2021/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 180
golfer
June 2, 2021, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Time for us to be talking about who is coming instead of those going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 2, 2021, 8:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think most of Ashcroft's goals for us were penalties too. It's a miracle we got most of that fee back.

Incorrect.

He scored 17 goals for Grimsby and “only” 7 of those were penalties.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 144 - 180
barralad
June 2, 2021, 8:59am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
We bought Gilligan from Watford following recommendation from ex player Graham Taylor.
I seem to recall our chairman at the time expressing his dismay at Taylor for selling us a dud!

Didn't Gilligan have a good game for Watford against us in the FA Cup when they beat us 3-1 at B.P.? He might even have scored

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 2, 2021, 10:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Incorrect.

He scored 17 goals for Grimsby and “only” 7 of those were penalties.

This is a prime example of Brexit Britain. I post a statistical fact and I get red crosses because it doesn’t fit with the narrative some people want. When did some people start to think that their opinion has more weight than fact/reality?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 146 - 180
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 2, 2021, 11:13am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

This is a prime example of Brexit Britain. I post a statistical fact and I get red crosses because it doesn’t fit with the narrative some people want. When did some people start to think that their opinion has more weight than fact/reality?

The moment human beings (or human's genetic ancestors) became sentient.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 180
jamesgtfc
June 2, 2021, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I did think the red crosses were a bit bizarre. Thanks for clarifying, you've got a green tick from me by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 180
mimma
June 2, 2021, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from barralad

Didn't Gilligan have a good game for Watford against us in the FA Cup when they beat us 3-1 at B.P.? He might even have scored

You're right Barra, he did, and scored probably the best goal of his life against us. I thought at the time he was a good replacement for Drinks. Didn't take long to change my mind!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 180
Poojah
June 2, 2021, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I did think the red crosses were a bit bizarre. Thanks for clarifying, you've got a green tick from me by the way.

I've often thought this place would be better without the red crosses. Like something? Show casual appreciation with a green tick. Disagree with something or want to challenge it? That's what words are for.

As it happens, I actually disagree with Golly in so much that I distinctly remember Lee Ashcroft scoring 28 goals for Town, of which 34 were penalties.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 180
Zmariner
June 2, 2021, 12:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Poojah

I've often thought this place would be better without the red crosses. Like something? Show casual appreciation with a green tick. Disagree with something or want to challenge it? That's what words are for.

As it happens, I actually disagree with Golly in so much that I distinctly remember Lee Ashcroft scoring 28 goals for Town, of which 34 were penalties.

Exactly, I had the same thought. Some red crosses are deserved but a huge propertion are based upon the mood of the crosser or the oprnion that the crosser has of the of the person regardless of the comment. They encourage negativity. Green ticks support popularity contests on the other side of this but for me this is better than a barrage of negativity. Hope I get a gold star......... only joking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 180
DB
June 2, 2021, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Gold star on its way

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 180
Abdul19
June 2, 2021, 12:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
QUIZ: what do Lee Ashcroft, Kevin Donovan and Alan Pouton have in common?

(there'll be other players who fit into this category too but I've not thought of them)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 2, 2021, 1:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

(there'll be other players who fit into this category too but I've not thought of them)

Their mums are all called Beryl?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 154 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 2, 2021, 1:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Scored 2 penalties in a match for Town?

Pouts & Ashcroft definitely did. Not sure about Kevin’s Doner Van.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 155 - 180
NorfolkImp
June 2, 2021, 1:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from SheepGTFC
Man City splashing 400k on a 13 year old from a L2 club.

https://www.stevenagefc.com/ne.....tuesday-1-june-2021/

On loan to The Imps in two seasons time then?  

Private Message
Reply: 156 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 2, 2021, 1:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Just remembered Donovan did too I think. Wigan at home in 97/98 season. One of the fouls for the penalties was about 5 yards outside the area but forward momentum of the players fooled the officials.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 157 - 180
Nelly GTFC
June 2, 2021, 1:25pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,760
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Poojah
I've often thought this place would be better without the red crosses. Like something? Show casual appreciation with a green tick. Disagree with something or want to challenge it?
I agree, the majority of other football forums that use 'likes' have them in the bar below the chat box, which shows who has actually liked the post. I'm not really sure why it has to be confidential, I guess this forum just has to be different.  The red ticks, while many wont give a toss, to me just surrounds the forum with negativity, which we really don't want.  Just my opinion anyway, like I say, most probally won't give a flying fook either way.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 2, 2021, 1:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

And don’t forget those 34 successful penalties were from taking only 26. That’s how good he was at penalties. I conversion rate of nearly 131%.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 159 - 180
Posh Harry
June 2, 2021, 1:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,375
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I’ll be honest Golly, I gave you a Red Cross. It was nothing to do with the post, it was to do with the tone of it. I often give you green ticks (as you have a lot of knowledge - or know where to find it very quickly) but also give you red crosses when you just state ‘Incorrect’, ‘wrong’, or ‘not true’ in an abrupt way. You may be correct in what you are saying, but for me it can come across as either rude or patronising. You may not mean it, but it’s how I read it.

I’m not usually a snowflake (far from it according to the kids), but that kind of thing jars me.

Thought I would be honest and let you know why I gave you a Red Cross. Maybe others feel the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 180
mimma
June 2, 2021, 1:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Can't understand why, if it bothers you, why you don't just disable the red/green cross thingys. I have so don't have to worry about them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 180
Abdul19
June 2, 2021, 1:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Just remembered Donovan did too I think. Wigan at home in 97/98 season. One of the fouls for the penalties was about 5 yards outside the area but forward momentum of the players fooled the officials.

Correct!

(Ashcroft v Norwich 99/00, Pouton v Wimbledon 01/02)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 180
Les Brechin
June 2, 2021, 2:27pm

Quoted from Les Brechin
Didn't we have his older brother on trial a few years back.

Sure I can remember him scoring for us in a pre-season friendly.

I wonder what happened to him as I've not heard about him since.

Does nobody remember this then or am I just imagining it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 180
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 2, 2021, 2:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

They all wore lady's underwear whilst playing professional football.
They all owned bearded dragons.
They all had their cars serviced at Genney Motors.......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 180
DB
June 2, 2021, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’ll be honest Golly, I gave you a Red Cross. It was nothing to do with the post, it was to do with the tone of it. I often give you green ticks (as you have a lot of knowledge - or know where to find it very quickly) but also give you red crosses when you just state ‘Incorrect’, ‘wrong’, or ‘not true’ in an abrupt way. You may be correct in what you are saying, but for me it can come across as either rude or patronising. You may not mean it, but it’s how I read it.

I’m not usually a snowflake (far from it according to the kids), but that kind of thing jars me.

Thought I would be honest and let you know why I gave you a Red Cross. Maybe others feel the same.

Upfront true honesty. I like it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 180
golfer
June 2, 2021, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Can't understand why, if it bothers you, why you don't just disable the red/green cross thingys. I have so don't have to worry about them.

Can I just disable the red x's and multiply the green ticks and gold stars - also am I allowed to give myself gold stars -just asking.because I don't have many gold stars
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 180
Theimperialcoroner
June 2, 2021, 5:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from golfer

Can I just disable the red x's and multiply the green ticks and gold stars - also am I allowed to give myself gold stars -just asking.because I don't have many gold stars

Yes you can

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 180
livosnose
June 2, 2021, 5:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Reminds me of a joke , where does Kyle Minogue get her kebabs from ? Jasons Donner Van ...........Ill get my coat

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 180
Fishy clapper
June 2, 2021, 5:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from golfer

Gold star on its way to you good sir, you’ve pulled on my heartstrings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 180
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 2, 2021, 6:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from livosnose

Reminds me of a joke , where does Kyle Minogue get her kebabs from ? Jasons Donner Van ...........Ill get my coat

For the benefit of anyone under the age of 35, Kylie Minogue used to be in a TV programme with a bloke called Jason Donovan........

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 180
louth_in_the_south
June 2, 2021, 6:30pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
I honestly don’t know why some people get so upset by getting red Xs !! If you start analysing why and start relating it to brexit Britain you clearly need to stop being so fooking sensitive ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 180
Davec
June 2, 2021, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455

For the benefit of anyone under the age of 35, Kylie Minogue used to be in a TV programme with a bloke called Jason Donovan........

Is that when good neighbours become good friends by any chance 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 180
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 2, 2021, 7:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

They moved to the west coast of America to get LA sitters

*I know. Tedious

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 180
KingstonMariner
June 2, 2021, 9:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Gold star on its way to you good sir, you’ve pulled on my heartstrings

He’d have to pull more than my heartstrings

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 180
GollyGTFC
June 3, 2021, 7:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’ll be honest too...

My original post was in exactly the tone I intended. I expected red x’s and that was my aim. I had my Brexit Britain/Fact vs Opinion reply preplanned.

It was only a couple of weeks ago on another thread that a conversation on red crosses was had. I posted that I give red crosses to anyone who touts for green ticks or complains about red crosses as I think it’s funny.

If we are having a serious conversation about red crosses on here someone else posted something I agree with... there shouldn’t be red crosses on here, if you disagree tell them why. And that is why I only use red crosses as described above and not arbitrarily when I see something I disagree with:

I don’t believe in using “snakeflake” and “woke” as an insult because it’s my opinion that it’s been promoted by the right wing press as an insult for people who aren’t complete and utter selfish c**ts. It’s an insult targeted primarily at the younger generation who are more compassionate and inclusive than previous generations. But all the same some posters on here seem to get very upset at red crosses and that for me is the best reason to get rid of them.

The Fishy should be a safe space for anyone who wants to talk GTFC or any other subject with fellow Mariners and the odd fan from other clubs. If red crosses make the Fishy an unenjoyable or even stressful experience for some/many then get rid of the red crosses.

But all the same if I get the opportunity again to correct someone with a nerdy stat I’ll quite possible do it in the way. I.e. with an abrupt, nerdy, Statto off Fantasy Football League type reply. Unfortunately you can’t control how people read a message if they can’t hear your voice.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve replied to a deadpan joke post on here with a post where It appears I took the post seriously to be met with a reply like “whoosh”.

That’s the problem with written social media. People can’t hear the tone of your voice. And I’m not adding an emoji after each post I make because I’m not a 🛎🔚.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 175 - 180
thefish
June 3, 2021, 7:28am

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I’ll be honest too...

My original post was in exactly the tone I intended. I expected red x’s and that was my aim. I had my Brexit Britain/Fact vs Opinion reply preplanned.

It was only a couple of weeks ago on another thread that a conversation on red crosses was had. I posted that I give red crosses to anyone who touts for green ticks or complains about red crosses as I think it’s funny.

If we are having a serious conversation about red crosses on here someone else posted something I agree with... there shouldn’t be red crosses on here, if you disagree tell them why. And that is why I only use red crosses as described above and not arbitrarily when I see something I disagree with:

I don’t believe in using “snakeflake” and “woke” as an insult because it’s my opinion that it’s been promoted by the right wing press as an insult for people who aren’t complete and utter selfish c**ts. It’s an insult targeted primarily at the younger generation who are more compassionate and inclusive than previous generations. But all the same some posters on here seem to get very upset at red crosses and that for me is the best reason to get rid of them.

The Fishy should be a safe space for anyone who wants to talk GTFC or any other subject with fellow Mariners and the odd fan from other clubs. If red crosses make the Fishy an unenjoyable or even stressful experience for some/many then get rid of the red crosses.

But all the same if I get the opportunity again to correct someone with a nerdy stat I’ll quite possible do it in the way. I.e. with an abrupt, nerdy, Statto off Fantasy Football League type reply. Unfortunately you can’t control how people read a message if they can’t hear your voice.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve replied to a deadpan joke post on here with a post where It appears I took the post seriously to be met with a reply like “whoosh”.

That’s the problem with written social media. People can’t hear the tone of your voice. And I’m not adding an emoji after each post I make because I’m not a 🛎🔚.

Whoosh...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 180
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 3, 2021, 9:09am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Davec

I posted that especially for you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 180
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 3, 2021, 10:02am

Barley Wine Drinker

I posted that especially for you.

Charlene in a bit closer for it?

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 180
Fishy clapper
June 3, 2021, 10:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I’ll be honest too...

Wow, check that panty pad

You decide the tone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 180
mike_d
June 3, 2021, 10:54am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
That takes me back to Dr Green and Carter with that last sentence.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 180
19 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.