Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 148 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,500 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2022, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
What people say publicly and what they say privately are often completely different. It wouldn't surprise me if work is going on behind the scenes to identify possible sites, identify what, if anything, can be done to bring Blundell Park into the modern era and also, how any new stadium is going to be funded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 480 - 520
GYinScuntland
February 23, 2022, 11:09pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from GollyGTFC
An example. Ely is a small cathedral city of 20,000. It’s about 15 miles north of Cambridge of the A10. There is a shiny new leisure village complex on the A10 bypass with a 6 screen Cineworld cinema, 4 chain restaurants (including Nandos), a couple of drive-thru takeaways, a new family pub restaurant & a drive thru chain coffee shop.

Ely. It has a populations only a few thousand more than Louth.

So, if Ely can build and sustain something like that why can’t Grimsby?

Massive tourism? Scenic?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 481 - 520
GYinScuntland
February 23, 2022, 11:14pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I had my first ever Nando’s at the Earl’s Court restaurant before the famous Danny Coyne inspires 1-0 smash and grab at QPR in 2001.

I had a cheeky Nando's once.
It called me a big fat baldy so I haven't been back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 482 - 520
blundellpork
February 23, 2022, 11:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from jamesgtfc
What people say publicly and what they say privately are often completely different. It wouldn't surprise me if work is going on behind the scenes to identify possible sites, identify what, if anything, can be done to bring Blundell Park into the modern era and also, how any new stadium is going to be funded.

Agreed. Fenty boxed himself in speaking publicly but not having the traction. I would expect the new owners will probably have it on their agenda, but only publicly say so if they genuinely believe it can be delivered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 483 - 520
pen penfras
February 24, 2022, 7:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from blundellpork

Agreed. Fenty boxed himself in speaking publicly but not having the traction. I would expect the new owners will probably have it on their agenda, but only publicly say so if they genuinely believe it can be delivered.

Since they announced their plans to build a stadium publicly before owning the club and then immediately changed their mind once they got control, I'm a bit confused by this statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 484 - 520
ska face
February 24, 2022, 8:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
That was Shutes wasn’t it?
Private Message
Reply: 485 - 520
GrimPol
February 24, 2022, 2:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pen penfras

That's not true. Cinema demand has been consistent over the last 20 years. It's only since covid that it has been hit. That may have driven a desire to stay home rather than go out, but it's too hard to say right now. If the industry goes back to the same as it was before with films being released to cinema first, then it will recover. If Disney etc keep releasing them on their own platform or both at the same time, then it's likely to take a hit.

Parkway has been fairly busy whenever I've visited, although it's been a couple of years. I just wish they'd put some better food around it than KFC, McDonalds and Taco Bell. More people would go if they could make a proper evening of it than having to drive all over the place to have an evening out.

I've read pro Cinema Build from various, and whilst I'm not against it, why would I be?, I just don't see the economics for the build. Indeed the "what about this" and "what about that" arguments fail to understand the predicament this area is in.
Xscape in Castleford, part of the Wakefield Borough pop 359,000, NE Lincs 159,000. It gets worse, draw a circle of 11 miles with Xscape center, 100,000 are added,  same with Grimsby and we add 2900 from Caistor, why? Because half the circle is water, the rest is spuds and cabbages.
Lincoln has been put forward as another " what about". Well, Lincoln has a Uni (actually 2 Unis and a college) and it's estimated that £430 to £500 million a year is added to the economy of Lincoln. 17,000 students buy a lot of pizzas, kebabs, and beer. Lincoln is the fastest growing City in the UK.
Grimsby is at the end of a Cul-de-sac of the A180, it has to run much much faster just to keep up. I hope that the Freeport project will be something that will inject money and enthusiasm into the area but we do need a council that will be up for it and positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 486 - 520
Gaffer58
February 24, 2022, 4:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Seems to me that we need to build a university, 5-10 years down the line the town/ area would be flourishing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 487 - 520
diehardmariner
February 24, 2022, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from GrimPol

I've read pro Cinema Build from various, and whilst I'm not against it, why would I be?, I just don't see the economics for the build. Indeed the "what about this" and "what about that" arguments fail to understand the predicament this area is in.
Xscape in Castleford, part of the Wakefield Borough pop 359,000, NE Lincs 159,000. It gets worse, draw a circle of 11 miles with Xscape center, 100,000 are added,  same with Grimsby and we add 2900 from Caistor, why? Because half the circle is water, the rest is spuds and cabbages.
Lincoln has been put forward as another " what about". Well, Lincoln has a Uni (actually 2 Unis and a college) and it's estimated that £430 to £500 million a year is added to the economy of Lincoln. 17,000 students buy a lot of pizzas, kebabs, and beer. Lincoln is the fastest growing City in the UK.
Grimsby is at the end of a Cul-de-sac of the A180, it has to run much much faster just to keep up. I hope that the Freeport project will be something that will inject money and enthusiasm into the area but we do need a council that will be up for it and positive.

You are right, we're hemmed in and it hinders us in every possible way.

But that's not an excuse to just give up.  The area is dying a painful and slow death, we're not even treading water.  This is bigger than the football club, not doing anything simply isn't an option for this area.  

We might have missed the boat over Lincoln in getting a Uni, we might have missed funding opportunities that Doncaster gobbled up, but that's the problem.  We've missed countless opportunities in our past, that has to stop.  The attitude of we're too small, we've already got one, people won't use it etc. is what will always hold this area back.

Other opportunities are there for us to develop yet we're doing nothing about it.  The biggest opportunity we could ever have is the most under utilised part of this Town, the water set-up.  From Corp-Bridge right up to the Fitties is an absolute gold-mine of prosperity just waiting to be tapped into.  There aren't many areas in the country that have that natural resource for development, growth and employment.  
Private Message
Reply: 488 - 520
GrimPol
February 24, 2022, 4:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner

You are right, we're hemmed in and it hinders us in every possible way.

But that's not an excuse to just give up.  The area is dying a painful and slow death, we're not even treading water.  This is bigger than the football club, not doing anything simply isn't an option for this area.  

We might have missed the boat over Lincoln in getting a Uni, we might have missed funding opportunities that Doncaster gobbled up, but that's the problem.  We've missed countless opportunities in our past, that has to stop.  The attitude of we're too small, we've already got one, people won't use it etc. is what will always hold this area back.

Other opportunities are there for us to develop yet we're doing nothing about it.  The biggest opportunity we could ever have is the most under utilised part of this Town, the water set-up.  From Corp-Bridge right up to the Fitties is an absolute gold-mine of prosperity just waiting to be tapped into.  There aren't many areas in the country that have that natural resource for development, growth and employment.  

Well written, and yes I only looked at the negatives, to be fair, the water leisure industry is untapped and hopefully ready for expansion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 489 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.