4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
July 3, 2021, 9:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
After years of the club charging more money for the children sizes than the adult sizes (remember no VAT on children’s clothing) the club have finally adjusted the prices to rectify this…

Adult sizes - £43.99 (£36.66 + VAT)
Children’s sizes - £35.99

In reality it is still pretty disgraceful that a children’s shirt is only 67 pence less than an adult shirt but at least the prices are moving in the right direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
GollyGTFC
July 3, 2021, 9:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
I should add it’s an industry wide issue. Not just GTFC.

An example…
Bolton have launched their new Macron away shirt today. £48 for adults (£40 + VAT) and £40 for children. Disgraceful.

Nottingham Forest not much better at £50 (£41.66 + VAT) and £40.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 33
aldi_01
July 3, 2021, 9:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I should add it’s an industry wide issue. Not just GTFC.

An example…
Bolton have launched their new Macron away shirt today. £48 for adults (£40 + VAT) and £40 for children. Disgraceful.

Nottingham Forest not much better at £50 (£41.66 + VAT) and £40.

I agree with you that it is a disgrace but as you’ve alluded to, it’s not just a GTFC issue. Similarly, a member of staff at work is only a size 5 and wears children’s trainers.

Football shirts are expensive for what they are when the shirt minus the badges etc can usually be picked up from the manufacturer for half the price.

At least we haven’t started doing what other clubs do by having ‘pro’ versions of the shirt that are exactly the same as the players’ shirts. I was astounded at Juve that they sold 4 types of shirt…the cheapest being €40 the most expensive being €120…lunacy…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
sapper mariner
July 3, 2021, 9:43am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
The England shirt is £70 which is ridiculous

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2021, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

I agree with you that it is a disgrace but as you’ve alluded to, it’s not just a GTFC issue. Similarly, a member of staff at work is only a size 5 and wears children’s trainers.

Football shirts are expensive for what they are when the shirt minus the badges etc can usually be picked up from the manufacturer for half the price.

At least we haven’t started doing what other clubs do by having ‘pro’ versions of the shirt that are exactly the same as the players’ shirts. I was astounded at Juve that they sold 4 types of shirt…the cheapest being €40 the most expensive being €120…lunacy…

My wife is size 5 and got some new trainers last year. On the way to the checkout with her adult size 5's she spotted some childrens size 5's cheaper and got those. The only difference between the 2 was that one of the pairs didn't have a word on it!

I don't know for certain but I imagine the club buys them in disproportionately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
pizzzza
July 3, 2021, 10:06am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GollyGTFC

In reality it is still pretty disgraceful that a children’s shirt is only 67 pence less than an adult shirt but at least the prices are moving in the right direction.

Do you honestly believe that the cost to produce football shirts is proportional to the size of the garment? I'm no expert in fashion and the like but I suspect there are many other factors that make up the cost of an individual shirt than the size of the cloth that it is cut from... design costs, logistics, construction of the shirt, etc. etc. Lots of factors aside from the size. At the end of the day I expect the cost to produce a child or adult size shirt is almost identical.

I think it is great that the club factor in the VAT when pricing these shirts but you shouldn't expect much more than that for the reasons above. Let's not bash the club for something they have little control over
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Mariner John
July 3, 2021, 10:13am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 54
Gulped a bit at the prices, then proceeded to the checkout and awaiting delivery. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
HertsGTFC
July 3, 2021, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
I’ve had an issue for ages about the club changing its kit every year. I get that it generates good money and excitement but it must be hard if you’ve got a couple of kids to kit out.

I would imagine the gross margin on the kit is quite high when I look at how much they mark down what they have left at the end of a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
Marinerdan
July 3, 2021, 10:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from pizzzza

Do you honestly believe that the cost to produce football shirts is proportional to the size of the garment? I'm no expert in fashion and the like but I suspect there are many other factors that make up the cost of an individual shirt than the size of the cloth that it is cut from... design costs, logistics, construction of the shirt, etc. etc. Lots of factors aside from the size. At the end of the day I expect the cost to produce a child or adult size shirt is almost identical.

I think it is great that the club factor in the VAT when pricing these shirts but you shouldn't expect much more than that for the reasons above. Let's not bash the club for something they have little control over

This ^

The difference between the cost of materials will be negligible. I’d guess the amount of material to make a 2xl shirt would almost be enough to make two small adult shirts.

UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
MNH1972
July 3, 2021, 10:44am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +215
Gold Stars: 5
Make it reversible two kits for the price of one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Shirt Price

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.