promotion plaice
July 13, 2021, 3:35pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 201

Another great piece by Cod Almighty....

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=8010

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
July 13, 2021, 4:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
That took some reading poor old John  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
Kris2
July 13, 2021, 8:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
I liked the part where the owners of this website helped Fenty by giving him a platform to argue with fans opinions and threaten them, then helped him get personal details of somebody he didn't like so he could threaten them in person, while acting as a place for fan discussion they acted as Fenty's secret police.  

The Trust got a lot of criticism on here for giving in to Fenty's demands but none of the people who run this website or that were a part in aiding Fenty in his witch hunt have once apologised for subjecting fans to that or aiding his ego stroking by giving him a platform to speak and shoot down anyone who dares speak against him.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Vance Warner
July 13, 2021, 8:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
More sickening stuff. The part below has made me particularly angry

In February a number of meetings between Fenty and the Mariners Trust took place to discuss how the alleged "funding gap" could be bridged until the end of the season. The outcome of these meetings was that the Trust would ballot it’s membership (then around 300) on a proposal to gift £200,000 worth of shares to Fenty and give him back overall control of the club. As part of the deal, Fenty would purchase an additional £200,000 worth of shares in the club - something that he'd proposed to do as part of the original deal with Mike Parker anyway. The end of season accounts show that what actually happened was that he converted some of his existing loans with the club into shares.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
aldi_01
July 13, 2021, 9:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Is there anybody left that still believes he ever actually put anything in to the club?

flipping cretin…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
Tommy
July 13, 2021, 9:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Just a despicable human being

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
MuddyWaters
July 13, 2021, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
I wish I’d kept the PMs he sent me!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
July 13, 2021, 9:44pm
Guest User
I read this today and then read our new chairman’s tweet/literature review and still can’t believe he’s gone and the calibre of his replacement.
Reply: 7 - 38
toontown
July 13, 2021, 10:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Scary stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
DB
July 14, 2021, 6:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Absolutely amazing when you consider, in the early part, Fenty is quoted as saying 'He didn't want to own the football cub'.

A lot of misleading statements and porkies have been said over the years, and of course, it was always down to the fans who misunderstood what was said.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
RichMariner
July 14, 2021, 10:48am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I'm afraid many of us were blinded by his ability to fund the club. A chairman/director who has loads of cash running the club, saying how much he loves it and will never call in his loans? What wasn't to like about that, eh?

Note I said 'ability' to fund - he always had the cash. He just massively misused it.

Reading through those articles it exposes how incredibly manipulative he was, with pretty much everything. He deliberately misled people, regularly reneged on agreements... it was all a game to him. A constant play for more power.

He manufactured a position for himself to be at the centre of the GTFC universe. For what? Adulation? Being bounced around on the Bournemouth pitch?

Maybe he did have ambitions to lead the club back to glory. Sadly, it was very apparent from the start that he wasn't capable, but have you tried telling someone who never thinks he's wrong, and has spent his entire life thinking he's above the rest, that he's not getting things right?

Obviously there are a lot of issues throughout his tenure that make me sad, mad and angry. But above all, the worst of it — worse than how he walked away without losing a penny, despite the chronic mismanagement — was his constant and incessant manipulation.

Using people, fans, finances — the club itself — to give himself more than he ever deserved. That's what sticks in the throat for me.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
aldi_01
July 14, 2021, 11:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
A great summing up but lying, scheming, narcissistic incompetent girl private sums it up too…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
jamesgtfc
July 14, 2021, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I read that last night and it was longer than I thought it would be given the short time frame covered.

These articles pieced together make you wonder how we let it happen for so long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
toontown
July 14, 2021, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I read that last night and it was longer than I thought it would be given the short time frame covered.

These articles pieced together make you wonder how we let it happen for so long.

Aye
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Mendonca1995
July 14, 2021, 1:29pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
I’m just glad he’s gone let’s look to the future now and not dwell on a very bleak past under his abysmal running of the club 👍

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2021, 2:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Nah it’s important to set the record straight. If nothing else we need a reminder to not let it happen again.

Despite the new owners seeming to be good guys, with much greater competence than Fenty, and having started well, we still need a strong voice for the fans in the boardroom. Let’s make sure the Trust reps get the backing they need, not just now but all the time.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
Les Brechin
July 14, 2021, 2:59pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174
Still makes we cringe when I recall him being carried off the pitch at Bournemouth when we lost but stayed up, only thanks to Luton's massive deduction that season.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
DB
July 14, 2021, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Mendonca1995
I’m just glad he’s gone let’s look to the future now and not dwell on a very bleak past under his abysmal running of the club 👍

I have always believed in leaving the past in the past and looking forward to the future. However, this is a special case for all fans to embrace and remember.

The author has spent time putting together actual facts over several years which demonstrates how the previous regime operated. Nobody should forget what happened in the past for it was a very dark period for the club. It is only through this series of articles that we can see how bad it was and through these articles we have to move on to the future in the knowledge that things are now getting better off the pitch.

The future is starting to look bright off the pitch so hopefully, the team will give us promotion on the pitch.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
denni266
July 14, 2021, 7:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Cant wait for him to try and rip off some of the big boys , and he loses everthing  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
aldi_01
July 14, 2021, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Any of his chums info here gonna come and try and defend him again? That’s been great enter at I lent since he copulated off and disappeared the girl private

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
heppy88
July 14, 2021, 10:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
It’s always important to understand what has happened in the past. So we can learn and progress.
If people decided to never discuss, reflect on and ultimately learn from the Second World War, we would be in a far worse position.

Through learning from history Town fans and the community will be in a better position to judge the merits / failings of the current board.

Just as it’s necessary to reflect, we should not lose our ability to critique the current owners. Constructive criticism should be welcomed and it will be interesting to see the reaction of the board when it comes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
The_Laughing_Mariner
July 14, 2021, 11:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 10
I honestly believe constructive criticism will be welcomed, I think JS has said so, as long as it is delivered in the correct ( respectful) way

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
forza ivano
July 15, 2021, 6:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
I honestly believe constructive criticism will be welcomed, I think JS has said so, as long as it is delivered in the correct ( respectful) way

with that in mind, and in the spirit of constructive, respectful criticism, i have to say i was surprised to see that the waiting and stewarding rates of pay were at Minimum Wage levels.
Given that we are going for BCorp status I had imagined that we would be making an effort to pay the Real Living Wage (£9.50 per hour) It wouldn't have cost the club much, but would have been a statement of intent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
denni266
July 15, 2021, 6:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
I think the problem with the living / min wage is that  it only realy affects single folk.. IE,  people with kids get tax credit top ups. the less you earn the more you get  to a point.. Now if you get a pay rise  your tax credit payments go down so you end up with the same money in your pocket . so you are no better off realy .. I know thats only a brief outline how it works  but you get the drift .. also it can affect your council tax payments and rent benifits , so its a right mish mash and not as simple as a bigger pay packet ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2021, 11:56am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from denni266
I think the problem with the living / min wage is that  it only realy affects single folk.. IE,  people with kids get tax credit top ups. the less you earn the more you get  to a point.. Now if you get a pay rise  your tax credit payments go down so you end up with the same money in your pocket . so you are no better off realy .. I know thats only a brief outline how it works  but you get the drift .. also it can affect your council tax payments and rent benifits , so its a right mish mash and not as simple as a bigger pay packet ..

True but it means we reduce benefits for working people (effectively middle income tax payers are subsidising employers).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
realist
July 15, 2021, 2:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I was brought up to have a bit of pride and not sponge off the state. As Kingston said we have to pay benefits out of our taxes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
Les Brechin
July 15, 2021, 2:15pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from aldi_01
Any of his chums info here gonna come and try and defend him again? That’s been great enter at I lent since he copulated off and disappeared the girl private

Pardon?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Zmariner
July 15, 2021, 2:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from aldi_01

This comment is a mix of Norman Collier and Chubby  Brown. I have no idea what it means but I loved it utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
GollyGTFC
July 15, 2021, 3:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,058
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from realist
I was brought up to have a bit of pride and not sponge off the state. As Kingston said we have to pay benefits out of our taxes

Claiming benefits isn’t sponging and if you were brought up to believe that then it makes me think poorly of whoever brought you up and of you for not being able to realise in your adult life that what you were taught was wrong.

The basis of our welfare state is that you pay in what you can afford and take what you need.

Your username is realist, but using phrases like “sponging” makes you seem more like a bitter, twisted, sad little man who sees the worst in everyone than a realist.

Remember one day it might be you or someone you care about who’s ill or incapacitated and needs help and support from the welfare system. I hope other people will show more compassion to you if that happens than you display to other people.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2021, 3:53pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from realist

Just to be clear, I don’t think people who claim benefits are spongers. Most of the social security budget goes to people in work and state pensions.

The point I’m making is tax payers are subsidising employers who are not paying a living wage.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
realist
July 15, 2021, 7:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Claiming benefits isn’t sponging and if you were brought up to believe that then it makes me think poorly of whoever brought you up and of you for not being able to realise in your adult life that what you were taught was wrong.

The basis of our welfare state is that you pay in what you can afford and take what you need.

Your username is realist, but using phrases like “sponging” makes you seem more like a bitter, twisted, sad little man who sees the worst in everyone than a realist.

Remember one day it might be you or someone you care about who’s ill or incapacitated and needs help and support from the welfare system. I hope other people will show more compassion to you if that happens than you display to other people.

I am not bitter and twisted at all. I just resent some of the dross that have made benefits a way of life. I have no problems with genuine cases
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2021, 8:50pm
Meths Drinker
I can see why Golly might have a less than charitable view of what you said Realist. The discussion was about working people receiving benefits and you jumped in with a remark about scrounger. It looks like you think all people on benefits are scroungers.

Nearly everyone with kids gets child benefit. That’s a benefit.  Everyone is entitled to free education and healthcare. They’re benefits. Not many people pay enough in tax to cover the costs of those services that they use. Are they scroungers? I grew up in a council house. I went to uni when the fees were paid and I got a full grant. Does that make me a scrounger?

The mindset of someone who jumps from working people receiving benefits to ‘scroungers’ does look like someone who has a bitter and twisted view.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
RonMariner
July 15, 2021, 9:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Professional football is a small community. Given the way the club was run, word must have got round about what a toxic place it was. I imagine this was a huge disincentive for players and managers to come here.

Hopefully things are changing with the new owners. The old regime stank the place out but, like putrid farts, the stench evaporates eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
TAGG
July 17, 2021, 9:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
After reading the story so far, are their any Fenty apologists left out there??

I've tried to find the PMs getyourfacksright sent me but can't find em

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
aldi_01
July 17, 2021, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
After reading the story so far, are their any Fenty apologists left out there??

I've tried to find the PMs getyourfacksright sent me but can't find em

There’s folk who claim not to be apologists, rather realists and are apparently not overwhelmed by the changes already made at the club…apparently they’re not important. Only what happens on the pitch is…which is ironic really given what happened on the pitch under Fenty, especially last few years she’s been nothing short of horrific…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 17, 2021, 1:06pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

There’s folk who claim not to be apologists, rather realists and are apparently not overwhelmed by the changes already made at the club…apparently they’re not important. Only what happens on the pitch is…which is ironic really given what happened on the pitch under Fenty, especially last few years she’s been nothing short of horrific…

He really did fail us whichever way you look at it didn’t he. Lost us money, lost our League status twice, left the ground and the training facilities in a right old state. Utter failure. Just being a realist.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
aldi_01
July 17, 2021, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He really did fail us whichever way you look at it didn’t he. Lost us money, lost our League status twice, left the ground and the training facilities in a right old state. Utter failure. Just being a realist.

Got us a stadium he spunked cash on…oh, wait…he got me a red conoco hat…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
RonMariner
July 19, 2021, 4:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner

A perfect summary of the Fenty era.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 19, 2021, 6:02pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

A perfect summary of the Fenty era.

I think it’s a little bit too short. That last sentance should read “utter utter failure”.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Fenty Years: Part Four

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.