Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Down the road…
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

Down the road…

This thread currently has 4,997 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
August 17, 2021, 1:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Check out the link for a well written article about the goings on down the road…

So many parallels…

https://twohundredpercent.net/the-scunthorpe-problem/

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 17, 2021, 2:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
Interesting article, thanks.

But I read it thinking "where's the convicted criminal, why isn't the chairman feathering his own nest by being a councillor and having a property company, where's the bullsh*tting manager, where's the chairman padding out his pension with club money..."

They haven't started.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Poojah
August 17, 2021, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,769
Gold Stars: 1,515
Scunny’s ground sits on land worth millions of pounds, given the retail and leisure scene that has popped up around it. Now they no longer own it. What could possibly go wrong?

On an unrelated note, here’s a photo of Brighton’s Goldstone Ground…

[img]https://completelyretail.co.uk/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.completelyretail.co.uk%2Fmedia%2Fscheme%2F2%2F2711%2FCG_Goldstone_Retail_Park_Hove_picture_2017_04_18_11_15_18_p8_1800x1440.jpg&w=1920&q=75[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
jamesgtfc
August 17, 2021, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Scunny’s ground sits on land worth millions of pounds, given the retail and leisure scene that has popped up around it. Now they no longer own it. What could possibly go wrong?

[img]https://completelyretail.co.uk/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.completelyretail.co.uk%2Fmedia%2Fscheme%2F2%2F2711%2FCG_Goldstone_Retail_Park_Hove_picture_2017_04_18_11_15_18_p8_1800x1440.jpg&w=1920&q=75[/img]

Whilst Fenty opted for loans, this man goes for the assets. I think his departure from Gainsborough had something to do with him not being able to get his hands on their ground.

There are definitely some differences but the parallels between the two are also scary. If Alex is still looking for a team to support in an area he defines as the East Midlands, he might find someone who will accept his (alleged) ill-gotten gains.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
rancido
August 17, 2021, 2:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Poojah

I was impressed with the surrounding infrastructure at MK Dons ground. Wide variety of fast food outlets adjacent to the ground, integrated hotel and conference facilities and extensive parking. Admittedly the ground is too big for their present status but IMO the set-up is very impressive.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 17, 2021, 4:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, who wouldn't want to go back to the Goldstone Ground. The Amex is an absolute sh*t hole........

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 17, 2021, 4:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I was impressed with the surrounding infrastructure at MK Dons ground. Wide variety of fast food outlets adjacent to the ground, integrated hotel and conference facilities and extensive parking. Admittedly the ground is too big for their present status but IMO the set-up is very impressive.

MK Dons is the poster boy for new grounds (particularly outside the money bags premiership). I don't live too far away from it. They have conference facilities, smaller meeting rooms etc. They've used it for concerts and an assortment of other events. The place is in constant use and doesn't just come alive on a match day.

You do have to take into account that it's parking and some facilities are shared with IKEA, the biggest ASDA on planet Earth and the other shops and restaurants opposite the main entrance. If they got into the prem and started attracting crowds of 30,000 the area would be carnage.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Poojah
August 17, 2021, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,769
Gold Stars: 1,515

Yeah, who wouldn't want to go back to the Goldstone Ground. The Amex is an absolute sh*t hole........

Well yeah, Brighton have landed in their feet by virtue of the fact that billionaire Tony Bloom is a born and bred Albion fan, bought the club and invested hundreds of millions in interest free loans (paving their way to the Amex and a squad capable of competing in the Premier League.

But that’s not how they left the Goldstone Ground. That was stolen from them by their former owners Bill Archer and David Bellotti, and they spent the intervening 14 years exiled at Gillingham and a run down athletics track, almost sending them into extinction.

Who knows whether they’d have the Amex if that hadn’t happened, but what happened to them was pretty shìt and a similar occurrence for Scunny probably wouldn’t end so rosily for them.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
livvo
August 17, 2021, 7:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
Gainsborough had something to do with him not being able to get his hands on their ground.

He wanted to buy the land to "redevelop" the ground but the supporters club who own the blues club which is part of the ground refused to sell up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
promotion plaice
August 17, 2021, 9:03pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Scunts losing 1-0 at Walsall tonight after 60 minutes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
promotion plaice
August 17, 2021, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Late equaliser for Scunny but Walsall lost their first 2 games so no great result really.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Abdul19
August 17, 2021, 9:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
A 90th minute equaliser to grab a point away from home in what could turn out to be a relegation 6 pointer - yeah I'd barely celebrate if that was us  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Gainsbro_Mariner
August 18, 2021, 7:39am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from livvo
Gainsborough had something to do with him not being able to get his hands on their ground.

He wanted to buy the land to "redevelop" the ground but the supporters club who own the blues club which is part of the ground refused to sell up.

He was actually largely well thought of at Gainsborough, I'm not sure if he is originally from the town but I know he was said to be a lifelong Trinity supporter when he purchased the club. I know before there was a Sands Venue in Blackpool there was one in Gainsborough, not sure if it's still open as I no longer live there.

He made big investments and although his initial hiring of Brian Little and a raft full of ex FL pro's nearly got them relegated his next appointment of Steve Housham nearly got them promoted to the National League. Off the field you are correct there was a huge issue with trying to purchase the stadium as he wanted to build the club up to be a future Football League side.

He initially ear marked a plot near Thonock Golf club I believe but I don't think there was any purchase / planning permission put in. The Blues Club rejection was the beginning of the end for him and after realising it's not going to happen he sold up and bought Scunny.

Some Trinity fans I know were glad to see him go and saw him as a bully boy who was trying to hijack the club, but others saw it as a downfall as it eventually lead to Trinity's relegation to the Northern Premier a few seasons and later the club seemingly had less financial clout to play with after his departure.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
aldi_01
August 18, 2021, 1:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

He was actually largely well thought of at Gainsborough, I'm not sure if he is originally from the town but I know he was said to be a lifelong Trinity supporter when he purchased the club. I know before there was a Sands Venue in Blackpool there was one in Gainsborough, not sure if it's still open as I no longer live there.

He made big investments and although his initial hiring of Brian Little and a raft full of ex FL pro's nearly got them relegated his next appointment of Steve Housham nearly got them promoted to the National League. Off the field you are correct there was a huge issue with trying to purchase the stadium as he wanted to build the club up to be a future Football League side.

He initially ear marked a plot near Thonock Golf club I believe but I don't think there was any purchase / planning permission put in. The Blues Club rejection was the beginning of the end for him and after realising it's not going to happen he sold up and bought Scunny.

Some Trinity fans I know were glad to see him go and saw him as a bully boy who was trying to hijack the club, but others saw it as a downfall as it eventually lead to Trinity's relegation to the Northern Premier a few seasons and later the club seemingly had less financial clout to play with after his departure.

The latter is an interesting one and must be very much luck of the draw…although I suspect it’s similar to GTFC. There will always be people who think Fenty was good, same with Swann. The success was initially there with Swann, but his head wasn’t focused on actually improving Trinity, rather making some cash for himself (wife). I do know her family were very much against him continuing pushing money in to it once he couldn’t purchase the land he needed to generate money…

Probably no coincidence that he went after a scunny and the potential investment/money making opportunities rather than at GTFC and LCFC at the time.

I’ve been to see Trinity a few times, never met a single person that has a good word to say about Swann but as stated; those folk exist too.

Scunny are in a mess on and off the field and the ST holder I know is convinced they’ve gone down already…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
DB
August 18, 2021, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Reading what has happened they are in a bigger mess than we were. If somebody wanted to buy them, apart from a name and being a football club in a league (EFL or NL), there are no other assets. Absolutely nothing to build on, and the fact that you may have to rent the ground!

At least 1878 had a ground when they bought Town. Although we are rivals you do have to feel for their fans, as to me there is no long term future at Scunny. All I can see is their demise and probably going to the wall. No chance of a resurgence in a lower league as the rich man owns the ground which he will probably sell for building land.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
jamesgtfc
August 18, 2021, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from DB
Reading what has happened they are in a bigger mess than we were. If somebody wanted to buy them, apart from a name and being a football club in a league (EFL or NL), there are no other assets. Absolutely nothing to build on, and the fact that you may have to rent the ground!

At least 1878 had a ground when they bought Town. Although we are rivals you do have to feel for their fans, as to me there is no long term future at Scunny. All I can see is their demise and probably going to the wall. No chance of a resurgence in a lower league as the rich man owns the ground which he will probably sell for building land.

If someone buys Scunthorpe United, Swann has no incentive to just own the land for a measly rent. I don't know if they own a training ground or not but assuming they don't, the likely result is someone buying them for £1.

At this point Swann will probably increase the rent to get them evicted and he then turns his £11m debt into something like £25m+ when it gets built on whilst Scunthorpe are forced to endure a similar fate to Macclesfield and Bury, ground sharing with Brigg or Winterton and playing in the Northern Counties League.

It does sound far fetched but it is a very possible outcome for Scunthorpe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
tanga_the_indestructible
August 18, 2021, 1:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5

MK Dons is the poster boy for new grounds (particularly outside the money bags premiership). I don't live too far away from it. They have conference facilities, smaller meeting rooms etc. They've used it for concerts and an assortment of other events. The place is in constant use and doesn't just come alive on a match day.

You do have to take into account that it's parking and some facilities are shared with IKEA, the biggest ASDA on planet Earth and the other shops and restaurants opposite the main entrance. If they got into the prem and started attracting crowds of 30,000 the area would be carnage.

It's my nearest football league ground and I used to take my kids to the Bounce thing across the road. The plan in MK is to double the population in the next 25-30 years, I think, which make it bigger than Liverpool or Manchester. One of my friends has just made a promo film to sell the idea of living in MK to big businesses etc. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they got in the Prem, as much as I hate them, they're set up for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Manchester Mariner
August 18, 2021, 2:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41

Also have to take into account that they are illegitimate franchise scum. Seems apt that they'll be sharing land with massive supermarkets.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
DB
August 18, 2021, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If someone buys Scunthorpe United, Swann has no incentive to just own the land for a measly rent. I don't know if they own a training ground or not but assuming they don't, the likely result is someone buying them for £1.

At this point Swann will probably increase the rent to get them evicted and he then turns his £11m debt into something like £25m+ when it gets built on whilst Scunthorpe are forced to endure a similar fate to Macclesfield and Bury, ground sharing with Brigg or Winterton and playing in the Northern Counties League.

It does sound far fetched but it is a very possible outcome for Scunthorpe.

It seems feasible to me. From the report, Swann seems to have lost interest in the football side of things.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
KingstonMariner
August 18, 2021, 5:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Poojah

Looks very similar to the old Plough Lane ground.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
aldi_01
August 18, 2021, 6:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Looks very similar to the old Plough Lane ground.

Harsh…that looks like fresh paint…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
BenBB
August 18, 2021, 7:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from aldi_01
Check out the link for a well written article about the goings on down the road…

So many parallels…

Based on the first paragraph around IT, brilliant video by internet famous (this video in particular has almost 2 million views) YouTuber Tom Scott...

[youtube]CcZdwX4noCE[/youtube]

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 25
KingstonMariner
August 18, 2021, 8:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from aldi_01

Harsh…that looks like fresh paint…

😄
I meant now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
toontown
August 18, 2021, 8:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from aldi_01

So many parallels…

Really interesting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
aldi_01
August 18, 2021, 9:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

😄
I meant now.

Touché

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
RonMariner
August 19, 2021, 10:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,831
Gold Stars: 226
Blimey, losing £3.6 million a year is going some. Swann has blown 11 million on the club and its now worthless. The only way of recovering anything of that loss is to sell the ground, making the club homeless. They would end up ground sharing, maybe with Doncaster or Brigg, which would reduce attendances to next to nothing. Pretty bleak.

At least Town still own Blundell Park. So Fenty left us with something. Mind you, I doubt it's worth much.  Less than a million I guess.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Down the road…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.