Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Today's Blundell Park experience feedback?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 166 Guests

Today's Blundell Park experience feedback?

This thread currently has 6,532 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
August 28, 2021, 5:56pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Jason likes feedback so here goes.

Fanzone was great, enjoyed the Mango cider, the weather helped though. How was your scotch egg Les?  

Surprised to have to join a long queue to get into the Findus although it did move pretty quickly.

Queue at half-time for the Gents was horrendous, nothing new there then.

My wife said the tea was extremely hot ( to be fair there are sign's warning of this ) however, could do with cup holders as cup was too hot to hold.

Anyway great win.....UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Oly1987
August 28, 2021, 6:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
the stairs were a bit of a nightmare to navigate at half time from the upper findus, the scotch egg was really good and the atmosphere and turnout was incredible. Turned up last minute today due to working nights but next time hope to get there early and see what the fan zone is like. UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
aldi_01
August 28, 2021, 6:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Sacked of the fanzone, couldn’t be arsed with queueing, I’m sure it’ll slack off, especially in winter.

PA was dreadful. Town won. The end.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
BenBB
August 28, 2021, 6:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from promotion plaice

Fanzone was great, enjoyed the Mango cider, the weather helped though. How was your scotch egg Les?  

Surprised to have to join a long queue to get into the Findus although it did move pretty quickly.

Queue at half-time for the Gents was horrendous, nothing new there then.

My wife said the tea was extremely hot ( to be fair there are sign's warning of this ) however, could do with cup holders as cup was too hot to hold.

Anyway great win.....UTM

That Lilley’s Mango Cider is a great tipple. Everyone I ever take to Docks Beers when I'm in the town loves it!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 37
Davec
August 28, 2021, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I won't be having the cider! that and a few beers make me go red in the face, it's caused by a faulty gene or something which creates that reaction, not all beers though so I i'm not teetotal!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2021, 7:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Davec
I won't be having the cider! that and a few beers make me go red in the face, it's caused by a faulty gene or something which creates that reaction, not all beers though so I i'm not teetotal!

My missus has a reaction like that

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
Davec
August 28, 2021, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from KingstonMariner

My missus has a reaction like that

I'm not the only one then! Doesn't stop me drinking!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
toontown
August 28, 2021, 7:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
The scotch eggs were WOW!
Enjoyed docks Clap Clap fish and the mango cider.
Fanzone gets a thumbs up from me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2021, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I'm sure the cure for Covid-19 is in the Main Stand toilets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
LocalLadGTFC
August 28, 2021, 8:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 140
Sausage roll was out of this world and was lovely to see both Jason and Debbie in the trust bar before the game talking to everyone, I was surprised how much Debbie actually knows about the club.. definitely done her research. Was I the only person that thought when I saw a tweet from the club saying keep your eyes on the scoreboard at 2:50 that we'd be announcing a signing Varane esque?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 37
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2021, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
But seriously, it's great to see the club making more of an effort regards the matchday experience. First of all, I was impressed to see a pop up club shop in the Main Stand/Pontoon corner which should generate some extra revenue but all the food outlets were still open with people buying food on the way out at 4:45.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
LocalLadGTFC
August 28, 2021, 8:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 140
Quoted from jamesgtfc
But seriously, it's great to see the club making more of an effort regards the matchday experience. First of all, I was impressed to see a pop up club shop in the Main Stand/Pontoon corner which should generate some extra revenue but all the foot outlets were still open with people buying food on the way out at 4:45.

Funnily enough, that's been there ever since I first started going a good 19 years ago. It's just never been opened  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 37
Tommy
August 28, 2021, 8:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Long may these initiatives continue.

Was great to see loads of people in the ground well before the game. Not seen that for years.

The fan zone in the Findus/Osmond corner was rammed and was opersting a one-in-one-out policy before long. Causing a fairly steady queue. Very tight for space in there. Not much room to move, as to be expected really I guess with funneling fans from all 3 stands into this corner. Could it just be expanded to be in 2 or all 3 of the open corners in the future? Would mean less queueing and allow people to have a bit more space to stand/move around.

The key thing for me was that it was just so nice to have some proper food available to buy in the ground. Last time we had burgers at the ground they resembled a piece of cardboard stuck inside 2 bits of bread that the ducks at the boating lake rejected. Today it was a Beast Burger. Brilliant.

As said by jamesgtfc above, great idea having the little pop-up shop selling hats/scarves/wigs etc. Pretty sure something like that has been suggested on here many times in the past and I'm sure there's a good number of people that would just go straight in the ground without going to the club shop, but would pick something up from there if they were passing it.

Would be very interested to hear how successful the whole thing was.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Les Brechin
August 28, 2021, 9:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from promotion plaice

The Scotch Egg was superb mate. Biggest Scotch Egg I've ever had and washed down nicely with a great pint of Mango Cider.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
HertsGTFC
August 28, 2021, 10:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
I like that stuff that’s going on at the moment it’s what “good clubs” do.

The thing that struck me today was that the tension seems to have gone. Even when it looked like we would get a point from the mighty Weymouth the atmosphere was decent.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2021, 10:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Davec

I'm not the only one then! Doesn't stop me drinking!

It stops her. She’ll manage a glass of wine and that’s it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
moosey_club
August 28, 2021, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Up and down for me...got to the ground around 2p.m to be told the fanzone was closed as too busy....personally that's a down but got to be an up for the club

Went in after the game though....enjoyed a pint post match which I rarely have...normally  straight home so speculate to accumulate as far as I am concerned...not perfect but something new to try.

Half time...settled for drinks only from the catering van ...no idea what they had on offer..looked like sausages only....would suggest a bigger menu board on approach...helps the customer make their mind up..helping speed up the ordering, less queues.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
wigworld
August 28, 2021, 10:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Another vote for the Scotch eggs. Divine - worth a trip to BP for those alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 37
ska face
August 28, 2021, 10:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Had something to eat for the first time in years at BP today, and it was spot on. Best thing is knowing that the money I spent at the catering van is going straight back into the club, and not being siphoned off by some outsourced catering firm.

Bet the club took more today than they have in a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
Limerick Mariner
August 28, 2021, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,747
Gold Stars: 138
Tell me - is there decent coffee now, instead of brown water?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 3:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Never eat at the match but more seemed to than ever today, long May it continue…

Is there any plans to put a temporary roof/tarpaulin over the fanzone come winter? Can’t see many using it come those rainy/cold months…

I know we’ve been locked up by the government for months so no doubt that helped the atmosphere but in truth there was a buzz around the club and it was because of many things…was good to see and new faces, new season ticket faces too…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
DB
August 29, 2021, 5:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It stops her. She’ll manage a glass of wine and that’s it.

I've always been a fan of forward planning. Offer her a small glass, mentioned the effect it might have on her, and have the rest of the bottle yourself.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
58mariner
August 29, 2021, 7:38am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -80
Very positive experience generally. Remember a similar  vibe first day of Jolleys second season only to be beaten 4-1 by Forest Green so nice to get the performance to back up the optimism this season!

Slight negatives, or shall we say constructive feedback...

Not sure why the queue to get into the Upper Findus was guided into the car park. Had to dodge random traffic cones and moving cars. One old man even fell over one of the cones and took a nasty looking fall. Seemed needless. Then when leaving another man tripped and fell when leaving in exact same position. Stewards seemed new / inexperienced. Maybe to be expected.

Also can’t help thinking the area inside the turnstiles for the upper findus / mariners trust bar needs a re think. Could barely get through the turnstile for people congregating in there. There is a table selling bottled ales in there (big fan used it many times) but it’s literally right as you go in on the left and the queue blocks people
Coming through the turnstiles? Then you hit the queue for the snack bar. Then you hit the queue to get in the mariners trust bar which is always mixed in with the queue to get up the stairs to seating or the toilets on the right. Wasn’t aided yesterday by a random pile of cardboard boxes just left in the middle or the room? Has always been crowded / congested in that area for years but seemed almost dangerous yesterday. Put me off even attempting to buy anything from the kiosk or bar

Perhaps if they knocked through to the trust bar and had that whole area open it would create more space?

And then as most have commented, PA system was non existent in the upper findus.

Don’t get me wrong, very minor points and on the whole the afternoon was a great experience. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that. That goes for one and off the pitch of course.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
Ruston AT
August 29, 2021, 8:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

Please sort the PA system out, the main stand at the osmond end didn't have a clue what was going on although when the ground went quiet we could hear. I don't want the ground to ever go quiet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Ruston AT
August 29, 2021, 8:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

Sorry didn't see the posts already my apologies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
crusty ole pie
August 29, 2021, 8:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT FOR ME
I didn’t see the smug face of fenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Always a bonus…any of them there, being big town fans and that, you’d think they’d be there first game of the season…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
HertsGTFC
August 29, 2021, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
We got there about 2.15 and I noticed this smiley blond lady out and about in the upper just going around talking to people I though she was a supporter but didn't recognise her, then I realised it was Debbie the new chief exec, that for me underlines the new regime. I also like Jason Stockwood's bit in the programme, very simple welcome back and thank you.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
gtfcmd
August 29, 2021, 10:33am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
Maybe need an option for say beast burger to have maybe two catering vans the ques for these near pontoon was stupid maybe if they had in each corner would be better, the amount of fans that was trying to get there from different stands and getting turned away by the stewards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
rancido
August 29, 2021, 11:37am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from crusty ole pie

In one way it's a shame The Leech wasn't there to see what a difference the new regime and their approach has made to the BP experience. Then again I don't want that to see that parasite within a hundred miles of the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
Croxton
August 29, 2021, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
Would endorse the safety concerns re access and egress to Upper Findus if we have many 4500 plus crowds.
My planned 2.00 p.m. arrival time evaporated due to unforeseen circumstances and I only had 10 minutes to spare. Only fair weather and general positivity prevented a very disrupted start to proceedings for latecomers to The Upper.

As well as rethinking the bottle bar by the turnstiles, perhaps stewards could encourage folk to keep moving once through the turnstile?
I wonder if some pressure could be released by greater use of the Osmond corner when away fans are so few?
I plan to use the fan zone next match but will take my seat early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
AussieMariner
August 29, 2021, 12:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Great match day experience overall but one big negative for me was the replacement of the hand pumps from the Rovram match with Molson Coors gnat’s p1ss in the Trust bar.

Then I saw the comments on the OS:

‘In our fan survey, you said that you wanted a change, we have listened to you and we have acted by expanding our range of beers around the ground.

The UK's best-selling lager, Carling will take its place on draught across Blundell Park, with accompanying lager Coors also available across all bars. Supporters will also be able to enjoy Worthington's, Aspall's Cider and Carling Black Fruits.’

We might have asked for a change but I’m pretty sure that’s not what most of us had in mind. A pint of foaming XXXB vs the dishwater that Worthington’s have the nerve to call beer? FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 12:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from AussieMariner
Great match day experience overall but one big negative for me was the replacement of the hand pumps from the Rovram match with Molson Coors gnat’s p1ss in the Trust bar.

Then I saw the comments on the OS:

‘In our fan survey, you said that you wanted a change, we have listened to you and we have acted by expanding our range of beers around the ground.

The UK's best-selling lager, Carling will take its place on draught across Blundell Park, with accompanying lager Coors also available across all bars. Supporters will also be able to enjoy Worthington's, Aspall's Cider and Carling Black Fruits.’

We might have asked for a change but I’m pretty sure that’s not what most of us had in mind. A pint of foaming XXXB vs the dishwater that Worthington’s have the nerve to call beer? FFS

No expert but worked in a pub for a number of years, I’m sure some can give a more clear explanation but I’d imagine looking after cask ale in bars that are only open every other week isn’t easy…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
rancido
August 29, 2021, 2:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
I am sure the new 'team' will have seen and taken in the whole situation at the ground. Nobody fully knew what the reaction would be to the fan zone and other changes such as catering etc. Now they know and will take that on board. At least we now have an administration that listens to the fans and reacts to their concerns and views.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
AussieMariner
August 29, 2021, 2:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

No expert but worked in a pub for a number of years, I’m sure some can give a more clear explanation but I’d imagine looking after cask ale in bars that are only open every other week isn’t easy…

Yeah that’s true but there are still better options for keg than the highly mass produced cr@p that Molson Coors foist on their customers - Docks beers to name just one. They’ve got Docks in the Fanzone why not the internal bars?
I’m sure it’s a very good commercial decision but please don’t dress it up as ‘listening to what the fans asked for’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
rancido
August 29, 2021, 7:19pm

Special Brew Drinker

Yeah that’s true but there are still better options for keg than the highly mass produced cr@p that Molson Coors foist on their customers - Docks beers to name just one. They’ve got Docks in the Fanzone why not the internal bars?
I’m sure it’s a very good commercial decision but please don’t dress it up as ‘listening to what the fans asked for’.

Coors Light is one of the most popular drinks in a club I go to. Not to my taste but still widely drunk. Beers are such a personal thing, what one person likes another thinks is awful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
AussieMariner
August 30, 2021, 1:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Coors Light is one of the most popular drinks in a club I go to. Not to my taste but still widely drunk. Beers are such a personal thing, what one person likes another thinks is awful.

Also true but I would argue that a local craft brewery such as Docks would be a more appropriate supplier for a ‘community club’ than a multinational provider of p1ss such as Molson Coors.
I completely accept and agree with the argument about personal taste and I would expect to find a standard lager and a so called smooth alongside the decent stuff. However I personally can’t find anything drinkable in that line up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
jamesgtfc
August 30, 2021, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker

Also true but I would argue that a local craft brewery such as Docks would be a more appropriate supplier for a ‘community club’ than a multinational provider of p1ss such as Molson Coors.
I completely accept and agree with the argument about personal taste and I would expect to find a standard lager and a so called smooth alongside the decent stuff. However I personally can’t find anything drinkable in that line up.

We now appeal to both ends of the spectrum though. Docks is expensive and is more niche than Carling.

If you want a decent drink, use the fan zone but if you want to drink Carling and the like, drink in the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Today's Blundell Park experience feedback?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.