5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
September 6, 2021, 12:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I'd actually prefer these highlights without any commentary.

Much prefer hearing the roar of the crowd when we score.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 6, 2021, 1:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Ipswin
Best football I've seen from Town for years

For once Swin I am in total agreement with you and as I said on Saturday in the just back comments it’s the first time I can recall a second half where it was basically wave after wave of town attacking play and looking dangerous for much of that time.

A thoroughly enjoyable game in which Barnet also played some good football in the latter part of the first half and showed they had some more than decent forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
IrishMariner
September 6, 2021, 1:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned much was the quality of the delivery from Crookes to put it on a plate for McAtee's miss in the first half, super pass across the box
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
Grantham_Mariner
September 6, 2021, 1:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Tommy
I'd actually prefer these highlights without any commentary.

TURN THE SOUND OFF THEN  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
TonySmith
September 6, 2021, 3:07pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Does anyone know if there is some contractual reason why the YouTube channel can't put the full match online as well as the highlights?  Some of us who can't get to games ( because, for example, like me we live in different countries ) might enjoy watching the whole thing. It's difficult to get a real feel for the team and its individual players and their strengths and weaknesses from a few minutes of edited highlights, welcome as those are. After getting used to watching games live for the last few years, I'm still getting used to just commentary and brief highlights two days later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
oochiad
September 6, 2021, 3:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

TURN THE SOUND OFF THEN  

But then he wouldn’t be able to hear the roar of the crowd is what he said!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
acko338
September 6, 2021, 4:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
It's the newly excited John Tondeur at fault !!

Finally got something good to shout at without Alan Buckley lacing into the players !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
RichMariner
September 6, 2021, 5:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I love the commentary. It's biased commentary, of course, insomuch that they want Grimsby to win, but John always calls things as he sees it, and if the opposition score a great goal or deserve to win, he'll say so.

For me, it strikes the right balance. Sees it how we see it, occasionally lets out the odd comical frustration ("no marking!') but adds something to the occasion.

And I disagree that he talked over the roar. When Hunt scored the winner there was a good 7-8 seconds of silence behind the mic when you could hear the whole ground celebrating.

The club always used to put out 10+ mins of match highlights each game when we were last in non-league. I really disliked the EFL edits for iFollow, with commentary added on afterwards.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 6, 2021, 5:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Was speaking to a german friend whos a st pauli fan whos started following grimsby coz of how much i rattle on and she thinks its great that our highlights come with our own commentator, and was amazed at how long hes been around, ive always took it for granted really but guess it could be quite unique do many other clubs have the same?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
Poojah
September 6, 2021, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,766
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from RichMariner
The club always used to put out 10+ mins of match highlights each game when we were last in non-league. I really disliked the EFL edits for iFollow, with commentary added on afterwards.

Yeah, I too used to find that quite jarring. The commentary would be added on as if it were ‘live’, but there’d be little giveaways that it wasn’t.

Ah well, I suppose that’s another little benefit add I can thank Uncle John for!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnet Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.