6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
dicko995
September 6, 2021, 6:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
Here we go, bound to get red crosses, but lets have a truthful interpretation of the Barnet game. Admittingly James made a great save, and maybe he didnt have much chance with the first 2 goals, but i do put a little bu=it of blame on the 3rd goal, and why he ran out to the linesman asking for handball is a complete mystery to me. James had an up and down game for me, and maybe bring Max in for the Torquay game, just to give James a 'shake up' of whats required. He may be a legend here, but legends dont always succeed. I can almost be sure that Hursty will change the keeper position this weekend, we all saw the weaknesses this weekend on crosses etc, and i fully agree that we need to change this at Torquay, and especially when Wrexham arrive next week with the long throw-ins. Only my opinion, but was from many in the box on saturday, truth hurts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
bax
September 6, 2021, 6:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Why, even when we are winning, do we need to find a fall guy?

Why can't we just encourage and support for a change?!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
HertsGTFC
September 6, 2021, 6:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from dicko995
Here we go, bound to get red crosses, but lets have a truthful interpretation of the Barnet game. Admittingly James made a great save, and maybe he didnt have much chance with the first 2 goals, but i do put a little bu=it of blame on the 3rd goal, and why he ran out to the linesman asking for handball is a complete mystery to me. James had an up and down game for me, and maybe bring Max in for the Torquay game, just to give James a 'shake up' of whats required. He may be a legend here, but legends dont always succeed. I can almost be sure that Hursty will change the keeper position this weekend, we all saw the weaknesses this weekend on crosses etc, and i fully agree that we need to change this at Torquay, and especially when Wrexham arrive next week with the long throw-ins. Only my opinion, but was from many in the box on saturday, truth hurts.

Watch the highlights again, there is no issues with our keeper that you wouldn’t find in any national league keeper, in fact I’m pretty confident he’s one of the best at this level.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
Poojah
September 6, 2021, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
As touched on on the other thread about this, Efete was equally if not more at fault for their third goal - are we binning him off as well?

I agree with you in so much that selection should be based on current form and not sentiment, but after two clean sheets in our opening three games, I’m not sure his performance against Barnet warrants being dropped.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2021, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from bax
Why, even when we are winning, do we need to find a fall guy?

Why can't we just encourage and support for a change?!  

It’s not about having a fall guy. It’s about wanting to see us get better. Macca is not good enough on crosses. If that costs us points that cost us promotion, will that be acceptable?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
newarkmariner
September 6, 2021, 6:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
another pathetic thread,pointless and not needed.give your fu%king head a wobble
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
Roast Em Bobby
September 6, 2021, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
I would have said Sean Pearson was more at fault than anyone for two of the goals we conceded, but no one seems to be calling for him to be dropped. If Macca starts making loads of mistakes, then of course he should be dropped, like any other player should, but I don't see that he's done much wrong so far this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
bax
September 6, 2021, 7:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s not about having a fall guy. It’s about wanting to see us get better. Macca is not good enough on crosses. If that costs us points that cost us promotion, will that be acceptable?

If. If. If.

If Fenty has stayed...
If Podge had never left...
If Buckley never arrived...

Stop living on ifs ffs.

If someone plays badly for a sustained period, drop them if there's a better player. Not sure a) Macca has played badly or b) we have anyone better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
moosey_club
September 6, 2021, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,305
Gold Stars: 227
Efete and Waterfall were at fault for that 3rd more than anyone....both stood square on ball watching while Widdowson gambled and followed in for the flick on.

What Macca was going nuts about I dont know but it should have been aimed at Efete and Waterfall.

There was a similar reaction from him when he didnt come and get a cross in the first half, having a pop at everyone else when all he has to do is shout keepers and catch a ball inside the middle of the 6 yd box.

All said, we know that side of his game isnt the best but I was sat right behind that low shot to his right first half that came through a crowd...... how the fck reacted and kept that out i dont know as he saw it so late...amazing save with the view he got of the ball.

There arent many keepers in reality that completely dominate their area, we were spoilt when we had Beasant on loan and I think people still consider him as a yardstick.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
buckstown
September 6, 2021, 7:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 79
Think it’s perfectly ok to point out that Barnet are bang average but scored 3 times against us. Hurst was clearly not happy at the defending but I’ve never liked singling one player out
I’m certain they’ll be watching videos of the Barnet goals and what needs sorting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
HertsGTFC
September 6, 2021, 7:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There will come a time when all you can find to moan about is that the bog paper is not soft enough.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2021, 7:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

There will come a time when all you can find to moan about is that the bog paper is not soft enough.

I’m not moaning. I’m expressing my opinion. As you do on most threads.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
ska face
September 6, 2021, 7:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from moosey_club
Efete and Waterfall were at fault for that 3rd more than anyone....both stood square on ball watching while Widdowson gambled and followed in for the flick on..

Absolutely insane.

The least you should expect from a keeper is to be collecting the ball one yard out at chest height.

No idea why this needs a new thread mind, but it’s incredible that McKeown is immune from any criticism, no matter how mild, at any point. There’s a squad of players in front of him that aren’t afforded such leniency.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
headingly_mariner
September 6, 2021, 7:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
7 points from 9. 2 clean sheets.  And you want to drop the keeper for someone you’ve seen play once in preseason unless you’ve followed his obscure career before.

Another dreadful thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
toontown
September 6, 2021, 7:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ska face

Absolutely insane.

The least you should expect from a keeper is to be collecting the ball one yard out at chest height.

No idea why this needs a new thread mind, but it’s incredible that McKeown is immune from any criticism, no matter how mild, at any point. There’s a squad of players in front of him that aren’t afforded such leniency.

Yeah but efete was meant to be marking the guy and didn't move with him, allowing him a free header from 1 yard. He's most at fault for me, but waterfall vacated that area and macca maybe could have done better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
ska face
September 6, 2021, 8:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Do you think there should ever be a scenario where your defenders are contesting 50/50s literally on the goal line? Just pure insanity on here. If that was Tommy Forecast…
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2021, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
7 points from 9. 2 clean sheets.  And you want to drop the keeper for someone you’ve seen play once in preseason unless you’ve followed his obscure career before.

Another dreadful thread.

Another dreadful response. Why can’t we be concerned about our keeper having a weakness when it comes to crosses? I accept that keepers that command their 18 yard box are few and far between but he doesn’t even command his 6 yard box.

As it happens, I wouldn’t drop him. He’s a fine shot stopper but surely we’ve got a keeper coach for a reason?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2021, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
Do you think there should ever be a scenario where your defenders are contesting 50/50s literally on the goal line? Just pure insanity on here. If that was Tommy Forecast…

The 3 of them are all to blame but Waterfall is marking fresh air, Efete loses his man and McKeown doesn't get across. All 3 of them have to take some of the blame. The 6 yard box isn't a no go zone for defenders...

If that was Jamal Fyfield, Jamie Clarke or Nathan Clarke...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2021, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The 3 of them are all to blame but Waterfall is marking fresh air, Efete loses his man and McKeown doesn't get across. All 3 of them have to take some of the blame. The 6 yard box isn't a no go zone for defenders...

The six yard box should be the keeper’s territory all day long.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
forza ivano
September 6, 2021, 8:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Going to be v interested to see efete on Saturday.havent seem him live but only on highlights he seems to be weak positionally/defensively. Mate who has played far better standard than I and has seen him live thinks hes a potential liability defensively. We will be watching him with interest!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
Humbercod
September 6, 2021, 8:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,502
Gold Stars: 82
Just checking did we win on Saturday?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
ska face
September 6, 2021, 8:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You keep saying this, but it doesn’t change the fact that the ball shouldn’t be anywhere near reaching Widdowson in the first place. Waterfall isn’t badly positioned if the flick on drops, as most would, in & around the edge of the 6 yard box. Efete’s let his man go but even if he tracks him he’s then got to win a header under his own bar, purely because McKeown’s allowed it to get that far.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
HertsGTFC
September 6, 2021, 8:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
Going to be v interested to see efete on Saturday.havent seem him live but only on highlights he seems to be weak positionally/defensively. Mate who has played far better standard than I and has seen him live thinks hes a potential liability defensively. We will be watching him with interest!

I think he’s like a few that have come in, just learning!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
barralad
September 6, 2021, 9:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Humbercod
Just checking did we win on Saturday?

Exactly this.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
toontown
September 6, 2021, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano

Yeah he's not too bad when keeping players out of the box using his strength etc to help shepherd them off the ball, but positionally he seems dodgy. Fitness wise he seems good and he's tall for a FB. With the ball he's very poor indeed. I'd have clifton in that position over him all day long, he performed well there at a higher level in a much worse team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
golfer
September 6, 2021, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from dicko995

ZUBES -Fkoffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2021, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

You keep saying this, but it doesn’t change the fact that the ball shouldn’t be anywhere near reaching Widdowson in the first place. Waterfall isn’t badly positioned if the flick on drops, as most would, in & around the edge of the 6 yard box. Efete’s let his man go but even if he tracks him he’s then got to win a header under his own bar, purely because McKeown’s allowed it to get that far.

McKeown has to cover the near post initially and where that ball dropped from the initial throw was congested so coming for it would be a big risk.

I admit that he could have done better getting to the other post but the point still remains, Efete and Waterfall were static. It's not just McKeown people should be going after. Pearson, Coke and Taylor didn't prevent the flick on so 6 players in total could have done more to prevent it but didn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 6, 2021, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Exactly this.

So no one can voice an opinion when we win?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
RichMariner
September 6, 2021, 10:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I can tell you now - in a Stockwood and Pettit business the focus will be on how we can avoid making the same mistake rather than who is at fault.

As fans we might see one obvious person at fault but in footballing terms I reckon more than one player is culpable in each of the goals we gave away, and so the team needs to learn from its mistakes rather than singling anyone out.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
tashee69
September 6, 2021, 10:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Weymouth clean sheet
Stockport clean sheet
Barnet conceded 3. Blame the keeper

If we don’t score, it’s the forwards fault
If we concede goals, blame the goalkeeper.

Don’t know why we bother with a defence or a midfield because they don’t seem to be at fault for anything in some peoples views. 🤣🤣

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
September 6, 2021, 11:16pm
Guest User
This thread actually gave me diarrhoea.
Reply: 30 - 58
Mayaman
September 7, 2021, 1:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,422
Gold Stars: 74
Bad day at the office. We all have em.  Should I get canned because my first online lesson yesterday was a shocker?  I learned from my mistakes I am sure he has too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
DB
September 7, 2021, 5:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, beit good or bad. It's a team game, not a game for individuals, and the team WON, again.

Nobody criticised the defenders for poor marking or failing to get a good tackle in for their 1st & 2nd goals, nor for the 2 players who let their man get a looping header for the 3rd goal. Who was supposed to be marking Widdowson to let him have a free ball to chest in that 3rd goal?

3 defensive errors but we don't need a fall guy. 5th in the league having played 1 game less than those above us, win the outstanding game and we will be joint top. What is there to knock, unless Macca is not your favorite.

If I was a big spending Wrexham and Stockport fan I'd moan, a lot, but I am a very happy Town fan with 2 wins, 1 draw, and a good hardworking team. We will lose some games in the future but that's the nature of football.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
VinnyGTFC
September 7, 2021, 6:26am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +146
Gold Stars: 21
Remember it was Hurst who bought in Dean Henderson and the era when Macca asked for a transfer. So Hurst knows what he has and will know if he can do better. I'll trust his judgement
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Fillipe Noche
September 7, 2021, 7:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
James was blameless for all three goals

Third goal in particular. Two Town players out jumped by their 9 from the throw in, and Effete shockingly loses/ignored their goalscorer for the second ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
Fillipe Noche
September 7, 2021, 7:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
James was blameless for all three goals

Third goal in particular. Two Town players out jumped by their 9 from the throw in, and Effete shockingly loses/ignored their goalscorer for the second ball.

On another matter, I went to watch the ladies team on Sunday for my first ever women’s game. Wasn’t expecting much but it was actually quite decent.

The ladies have a hell of goalkeeper. She’s a giant of a lass and her passing was unbelievable. She was hitting balls on a sixpence as we used to say, picking out Town players perfectly up and over the halfway line. Never ever expected to see this sort of goalkeeping from a woman. They always look shocking on the telly admittedly because they aren’t as tall as men.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
ska face
September 7, 2021, 7:56am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman
Bad day at the office. We all have em.  Should I get canned because my first online lesson yesterday was a shocker?  I learned from my mistakes I am sure he has too.

It’s the same issue(s), consistently, for 10 years.

The merest suggestion that there might be a better option gets hounded on here, usually from the same people who are already edging towards Efete as their scapegoat for the season.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2021, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman

I’m not sure what the coach says to him? Carry on as you are or we’ll do something about it?

Macca has always been poor on crosses and commanding his area. Surely that can be worked on?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
Fillipe Noche
September 7, 2021, 8:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Look one thing is for sure is that we now have two great keepers and if Hurst decides to change things, then so be it. He will do, just like he would any outfield player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
exiledmeggie
September 7, 2021, 8:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
I’ll settle this. Bring back Harry Wainman! End of!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
dapperz fun pub
September 7, 2021, 10:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84

On another matter, I went to watch the ladies team on Sunday for my first ever women’s game. Wasn’t expecting much but it was actually quite decent.

The ladies have a hell of goalkeeper. She’s a giant of a lass and her passing was unbelievable. She was hitting balls on a sixpence as we used to say, picking out Town players perfectly up and over the halfway line. Never ever expected to see this sort of goalkeeping from a woman. They always look shocking on the telly admittedly because they aren’t as tall as men.

Maybe she could teach macca about distribution of the ball then 😎 for me I lost the love for him a bit when he had the hissy fit over dean Henderson rather than get on with it . He’s perfectly adequate for this level and with the other lad pushing him he should be alright
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
Poojah
September 7, 2021, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

It’s the same issue(s), consistently, for 10 years.

The merest suggestion that there might be a better option gets hounded on here, usually from the same people who are already edging towards Efete as their scapegoat for the season.

I’ve not seen anyone get ‘hounded’ on this subject, and I don’t think that anyone should be immune from criticism on the basis that they’re a long-term servant of the club.

However, the suggestion made by the OP was that McKeown, who has kept two clean sheets in three games so far this season, should be dropped for a goalkeeper who despite only being four years his junior has played fewer than 50 games at this level or above (the last of which was 5 years ago) compared with Macca’s 400+.

Is his ability to deal with crosses and his command of the box questionable? Certainly. Is Max Crocombe a better goalkeeper overall? I’m not seeing any evidence to suggest that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
DB
September 7, 2021, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from exiledmeggie
I’ll settle this. Bring back Harry Wainman! End of!

Or Aidan Davidson, Danny Coyne.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
Poojah
September 7, 2021, 4:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Or Aidan Davidson, Danny Coyne.

In fairness Coyne didn’t command his box particularly well either. In many ways he was a similar type of goalkeeper to McKeown (only significantly better, obviously) in that his shot-stopping was first class but he would tend to stick to his goal line and had the odd howler in his locker (getting sent off at Pompey away, and that one he threw in against Blackburn on the telly, which was also quite similar to Macca’s clanger at Gateshead in the play-offs).

Davo was better in that regard, and his performance against the aerial threat of Northampton at Wembley was a sight to behold. He came for and won literally everything that got thrown into the box, even getting sparked out for his troubles. Bloody good shot stopper too. First time around anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Abdul19
September 7, 2021, 4:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Yeah less said about his second spell the better

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
A Brace Of Tees
September 7, 2021, 4:31pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think I argued this point on the other thread Old Codger - no one is saying he's perfect because if so he wouldn't be playing for us. But there's no doubt that over the years some of his brilliant shot-stopping has left the crowd open mouthed in amazement and has saved us a huge number of points.

Yes there are times when his fumbling of crosses has cost us - but do please counter balance that against his incredible reflexes which have saved us.

Maybe during all the years he's been here, the two columns of plus and minus have pretty much balanced each other out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2021, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

I think I argued this point on the other thread Old Codger - no one is saying he's perfect because if so he wouldn't be playing for us. But there's no doubt that over the years some of his brilliant shot-stopping has left the crowd open mouthed in amazement and has saved us a huge number of points.

Yes there are times when his fumbling of crosses has cost us - but do please counter balance that against his incredible reflexes which have saved us.

Maybe during all the years he's been here, the two columns of plus and minus have pretty much balanced each other out.

It's a fair point, which in turn makes it a fair debate. My frustration is probably that he hasn't improved in terms of dominating his area and distribution.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
fishboyUTM
September 7, 2021, 7:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from dicko995

He's a good keeper, an excellent keeper at this level. He isn't a legend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
forza ivano
September 7, 2021, 7:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's a fair point, which in turn makes it a fair debate. My frustration is probably that he hasn't improved in terms of dominating his area and distribution.

If he had improved in the ways you mention, am pretty certain he wouldn't be with us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
Fillipe Noche
September 7, 2021, 8:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Macca to Clee Town. Mark my words

Maybe not sometime soon, and maybe not directly from us, as I think his next move will still be higher than The Owls. But I do see him playing at Clee sometime before he retires completely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
KingstonMariner
September 7, 2021, 10:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
Yeah less said about his second spell the better

He kept a lot of clean sheets that first season. Allegedly his wife didn’t.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
KingstonMariner
September 7, 2021, 10:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Macca to Clee Town. Mark my words

Maybe not sometime soon, and maybe not directly from us, as I think his next move will still be higher than The Owls. But I do see him playing at Clee sometime before he retires completely.

Have you now got access to the inside track on Clee’s recruitment? 😉

(I agree with your forecast by the way)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
jamesgtfc
September 11, 2021, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
McKeown kept us in the game by all accounts today...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
ska face
September 11, 2021, 7:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Reports in the “just back” thread say he was at fault for the goal?
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
Harry Haddock
September 11, 2021, 7:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ska face
Reports in the “just back” thread say he was at fault for the goal?

Wasn't it a deflected shot ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
DB
September 11, 2021, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Dropped 2 points in 4 games, do we really need someone to blame?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
TownSNAFU5
September 11, 2021, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,905
Gold Stars: 42
Charlie Wright for the oldies, and just in my memory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
ska face
September 11, 2021, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Harry Haddock

Wasn't it a deflected shot ?

No, idea mate. Waiting for the highlights to be released some time next month.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
golfer
September 11, 2021, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Charlie Wright for the oldies, and just in my memory.

Clarrie Williams
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Keeper change

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.