Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
October 6, 2021, 10:47am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from thefish
McAtee for me... before the season started, we were informed that he is lazy.*

*Proof you should never trust anybody from Scunthorpe!

He's the absolute opposite of lazy! His movement, closing down and general work rate has been top notch.

I have been surprised by how well the team has gelled. Their general work ethic, their quality and how they clearly enjoy playing for each other and Hursty. Long may it continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 6, 2021, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,311
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I did say Waterfall would come good at this level, he was a superb leader throughout the season when we won it under the Cowley’s.

So, if we get promoted back to the EFL (and that's a long way off just yet) do you think he can cut it at that level? I don't think it's fair on him to rate that based on his performances last season as we were garbage and the defence was in a constant state of repelling the indians at The Alamo.

But he looks a different player this season and (in my opinion) one who wouldn't struggle in Div 2.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
ClarkyGTFC
October 6, 2021, 11:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
I think the biggest surprise of the season is how quickly a whole new squad of players have gelled it’s not just one person’s performance but the whole team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
Kris2
October 6, 2021, 11:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC
I think the biggest surprise of the season is how quickly a whole new squad of players have gelled it’s not just one person’s performance but the whole team

Coaches have really put together a team by bringing in the right combination and getting them together. There is just something about the squad and how well they work together. During the matchday moments against Dover in the tunnel you see a very laid back Dover team joking around and when Town come out the dressing room they look ready for war, that's what winners look like before a game. The only talking is psyching each other up, you can see it almost unnerves Dover a bit when they stand besides them and you start winning the game from there.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 6, 2021, 11:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,311
Gold Stars: 309

He's the absolute opposite of lazy! His movement, closing down and general work rate has been top notch.

I have been surprised by how well the team has gelled. Their general work ethic, their quality and how they clearly enjoy playing for each other and Hursty. Long may it continue.

It hasn't been a particular player for me (although McAtee, Waterfall, Sousa and Bapaga all deserve honourable mentions) but how we have gone about things as a team, the belief and the style of football we've played.

The positive changes off the pitch could well have been irrelevant to the performances on it (this is Grimsby after all) but they haven't been! The enthusiasm, belief and positivity is clear to see in the team. They all seem to get on with each other and enjoy playing together and none of the guys not getting a game seem to be sulking about it.

I am Grimsby born and bred and have the genetic leaning to pessimism but this lot are really making me begin to think that something special is happening at Blundell Park.

This really hit me last night when I looked at the league table and thought 'how are Wrexham and Stockport doing?' and then I realised Wrexham and Stockport are irrelevant to us right now. We need to think about Dag and Chesterfield, Boreham Wood and Halifax because they are with us at the business end.

See you at Woking. UTFM.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
Maringer
October 6, 2021, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
Waterfall has been surprisingly good and the goals he has scored make him doubly valuable. As long as Hunt is still with us and we keep up the excellent deliveries, defenders are going to be watching our for Waterfall's runs from corners and this will leave space for other players - we saw this with Efete's headed goal the other week as they followed Waterfall to the near post and left the space in the centre.

I've also been surprised by how well Taylor is doing scoring-wise. His hold up and link play has been great, but he's also been getting into the positions to score some good goals, which isn't always easy for a 'target man'. It obviously helps that we're playing some really dynamic football and creating lots of attacking opportunities in most games, but still very good in comparison to what I was expecting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
Macca_D
October 6, 2021, 11:13am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -59
Gold Stars: 3
What's not a surprised this season is the fans! I've been on here under muiltple names in the last 10-14 years and was always a huge fenty out merchant! Always said he's holding our fan base back massively. Holding our fan base back mentally. The man was and is a cancer, so glad that man will never have anything to do will GTFC ever again. Things are really looking up more than I ever could of imagined and that's all down to hard work and grit at our ORGANISATION
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
Yossarian
October 6, 2021, 11:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
Sousa ... he's given us a real zip down that wing....

In fact the interplay/movement down both wings has been superb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Waterfall.  And he his scorIng goals.  He has had a long time being mediocre at best.  Great credit both to him and Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
cmackenzie4
October 6, 2021, 11:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from RonMariner
Waterfall.

Before the season started I would not have been sad to see him go.

Now the guy is an absolute colossus at the back  and a real goal threat from set pieces at the other end.

Very impressed with how he has turned it around.  

The players we’ve had over the years who had a very good reputation at other clubs only to not fit in at Town (for some strange reason) 🤔

It now shows the way the club is being run that players are so much happier and playing to their full potential whilst with us, it’s been a long time coming hasn’t it!

I’m very optimistic about the future of GTFC now  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Biggest surprise so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.