7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
January 3, 2022, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Coke has been well off the pace for virtually the whole season. Doesn't do anywhere enough in terms of winning back possession and slows down our forward play considerably, often choosing to go sideways when a forward pass is on. Good for us last season but has to be taken in to context that he was alongside the outstanding Matete and players like James Morton had been so bad that just doing basics was an improvement. However, he is nowhere near good enough to be starting in a team that has any realistic ambition of getting promoted from this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
jamesgtfc
January 3, 2022, 8:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from lukeo

I assume you was at the game? Every corner before it was taken Pearson was shouting to the ref and showing him he wass being grabbed. Then the one that then lead to them going up to the other end and scored Pearson was going mental.

It's not a penalty though when he's grabbing you before the ball is back in play. When they went up the other end, the keeper was in no mans land and two players failed to head it into an empty net. Crocombe then had one thing to do all game and he ballsed it up.

Although Crocombe only had one thing to do, Halifax played well. They were very solid and we had to work very hard to score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
EY Mariner
January 3, 2022, 8:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Bearing in mind we hadn't played for 16 days, reduced training during that period because of the Covid outbreak and the position of our opponents, I would have happily accepted a draw before kick-off. But, given those circumstances, I thought the performance was superb and a draw the very least we deserved. It's the sort of performance that might just kickstart a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
jamesgtfc
January 3, 2022, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Coke has been well off the pace for virtually the whole season. Doesn't do anywhere enough in terms of winning back possession and slows down our forward play considerably, often choosing to go sideways when a forward pass is on. Good for us last season but has to be taken in to context that he was alongside the outstanding Matete and players like James Morton had been so bad that just doing basics was an improvement. However, he is nowhere near good enough to be starting in a team that has any realistic ambition of getting promoted from this league.

I think this is a season too far for Coke. I said to someone earlier that it's easy to think someone is a good player when they are a poor player in a terrible team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
goldenfish
January 3, 2022, 8:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Encouraged to see the players playing with confidence , despite the run of form … shows they believe in what they are being coached and are backing themselves . Feel much after today , played really well .. hopefully the start of some momentum . Crowd backed the players too ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
Roast Em Bobby
January 3, 2022, 8:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from lukeo
He needs to be higher up the field.. 1-0 down he doesn't need to come next to or even behind the cbs to receive the ball... I think he's a very good passer no question but he needs to receive the ball higher up field.. Not one pass he did today Pearson couldn't have done.
I'm not saying he's excrement. I think Hunt would be class further up field slotting balls through etc.

In the games when Hunt hasn't played, our defenders just hit hopeful balls into the channels, generally leading to an immediate loss of possesion. Hunt taking the ball off the CBs and feeding good balls into midfield is the key to building better and more sustained attacking play.

I read someone on here this morning saying something along the lines "Hunt has been excrement, need to get rid" and I just shook my head in despair. I really hope he stays, but fear someone higher up will take him on loan for the 2nd half of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
Jaws
January 3, 2022, 8:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
No point in complaining about the ref, won't change anything and we'll certainly see a similar quality of officiating a few more times before the seasons out.. just have to live with it I'm afraid.

Looked rusty in the first 20 minutes. Seemed odd Halifax come out of the blocks so quick, thought they would try to take advantage of the lack of fitness later on in the game but seems as if their plan was to get an early goal then shut up shop.

Eftete seemed to make a few good runs first half at a time when no-one else was really doing a lot but the second half seemed like wave after wave of attack and was fantastic to see.

Crocombe's mistake wasn't great but felt like we was caught on the counter, following a quick throw that even we weren't ready for! The mistakes happen, at least it wasn't slipping through his fingers or anything daft like that. Would be harsh to lose his place though didn't think Macca did a lot wrong to lose his place either!

Not the win we needed, but the performance was enough to give us some hope considering we had a shot cleared off the line and hit the crossbar or post too. Probably our best performance without McAtee too.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
Roast Em Bobby
January 3, 2022, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from goldenfish
Encouraged to see the players playing with confidence , despite the run of form … shows they believe in what they are being coached and are backing themselves . Feel much after today , played really well .. hopefully the start of some momentum . Crowd backed the players too ..

I thought we'd played really well against Notts County & Chesterfield as well, and we were extremely unfortunate to have lost both. Appreciate that our away form has been abysmal, but our performances at home have been good all season - some better than others, but I can't think of any home match this season where I've walked away thinking that was poor.

With McAtee coming back, I still think we will make the play-offs. Just need to sort out the away form.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
Jaws
January 3, 2022, 8:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Just need to sort out the away form.

We'll be OK, play-offs have a home leg and Wembley is our 2nd home  
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
jamesgtfc
January 3, 2022, 9:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jaws

We'll be OK, play-offs have a home leg and Wembley is our 2nd home  

Play-offs are one leg so it depends where we finish. Need to finish 2nd or 3rd to not play an away game before Wembley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.