jamesgtfc
January 13, 2022, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Another one who doesn't see that as "major" changes to what we had...
Our facilities were p!ss poor at best and when the players even say "it now feels like we are at a professional club" says it all!..
You are correct at what Lincoln did but that wasn't major that was seismic and cannot be compared to our improvements, in the words of Simon Jordan "you're comparing apples with oranges"!..
And let's forget how the pitch at BP was neglected due to penny pinching!..and god only knows the state of things behind the scenes, certainly when the new owners admitted it was worse than they'd thought;..

I don't dispute that major work has gone into the pitch at BP because that had become an embarrassment. I'm not saying the improvements at Cheapside weren't needed or, I'm just saying they are minor improvements that have had a great impact and like Chrisblor says, given our desire to move our training base, major changes wouldn't really make financial sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 115
rancido
January 13, 2022, 3:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from GibMariner

Still an apologist then Ginny.

Stability is built on something solid and approaching 30 sinings since Hursts arrival he’s had ample opportunity me thinks.

I don’t expect to win the Leauge but 1 win in 11 will not inspire good players to come.

This carries on and the place will be toxic.

They say there’s money available, so I don’t get why we have waited until the window to sort this as there are plenty of pickings at our level and below.

Apologies for not being an apologist.

Having the money to spend and finding the right product to spend it on are two completely different things. Throw in a reluctance of the " product " to be bought by you adds another complication. Maybe we are not the ideal club that a lot of footballers aspire to or that we fans think we are. This could be down to a reputation built up by the previous owner, inadequate facillities ( although these are being addressed ) or just not an area that is attractive to a lot of people.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 115
Vance Warner
January 13, 2022, 5:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Afraid I disagree with you. Hurst will have had three windows. Failure to reach the playoffs would be the tipping point for me.

Not many managers turn around a sinking ship in 3 windows. It’s that approach that has got us into this mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 115
MuddyWaters
January 13, 2022, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner

Not many managers turn around a sinking ship in 3 windows. It’s that approach that has got us into this mess.

There aren’t many of the current squad who are even contracted beyond the end of this season. For all we are told that we are building for the future, there seems to be very little forward planning to me. Even today, we’ve signed a player till the end of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 115
forza ivano
January 13, 2022, 8:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pen penfras

What major improvements have we seen? Communications that have similar content, but delivered much better. A playing team that has looked short from the off. A website that's slightly better, but looks very similar to the old one. A self inflicted shot in the foot with changing a badge that was against the principles that they developed. Every interview is about being sustainable, which is what we've spent 20 years doing. A new barrier that cost about the same as the top scorer in the league. Some sprinklers that mean we can water the pitch at half time.

It's progress, but it's not major. But the problem is not with the off the field, it's the fact that we have under spent on the team or poorly spent on it. This was the biggest income we are going to have down here short of some 'football fortune', and we know how well waiting for that has worked.

The loans aren't the problem, even the new guys said so. There was a large chunk of them in the bank account and normally new buyers would just pay off the old guy straight away to get a clean break. These were their terms and they've said they expect any money they put in to be paid back too, just through equity rather than loans.

you're such a tossser.

rather than denigrate the fans , or at best just take them for granted, the new owners want us all to be part of the 'project'
And all delivered in a professional, personable and reasonable way, rather than a half arssed rant at half past Malbec on a Saturday night/Sunday morning

ps still desperately searching for evidence of your mate improving the match day experience , the improvement in the adequate training facilities or him shelling out for a new training ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 115
Vance Warner
January 13, 2022, 8:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There aren’t many of the current squad who are even contracted beyond the end of this season. For all we are told that we are building for the future, there seems to be very little forward planning to me. Even today, we’ve signed a player till the end of the season.

Fair point but as long term contracts are very rare at this level I guess we’re planning as much as we can. Players won’t sign until they know what league we’re going to be in. Sean Scannell is an good example why clubs stick to shorter deals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 115
12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.