8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
January 27, 2022, 8:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Oh for pity's sake, a few bad results, not necessarily games, and the wolves are circling. Revolving Door Recruitment Policy is why we are in this mess/Div 5. It's not PH's fault, it's just he has the job of mopping up the poo that the last regime left with some help from some "fans" baying for blood every time it doesn't all go to some sort of plan, Saudi Arabia hasn't sent a shed load over, or, or, or........'
Talk/thinking/murmuring of sacking only does one thing, not focus on the job at hand, but focus on getting your CV out for the next employer. People have mortgages to pay, so what would you do?. Exactly.
Do you know how many managers GTFC has gone through in the last 20 (2002-2022 inc stand-ins )years? 21, what's that, a change every 11.5 months? The club is committing Hari Kiri by the slice.
Let's give the man a chance until the end of the season before we moan, then another season so he can put into practise his ideas.
Hell, I'd give him another 2-3 seasons just for the novelty of remembering who our manager is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
January 27, 2022, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimPol
Oh for pity's sake, a few bad results, not necessarily games, and the wolves are circling. Revolving Door Recruitment Policy is why we are in this mess/Div 5. It's not PH's fault, it's just he has the job of mopping up the poo that the last regime left with some help from some "fans" baying for blood every time it doesn't all go to some sort of plan, Saudi Arabia hasn't sent a shed load over, or, or, or........'
Talk/thinking/murmuring of sacking only does one thing, not focus on the job at hand, but focus on getting your CV out for the next employer. People have mortgages to pay, so what would you do?. Exactly.
Do you know how many managers GTFC has gone through in the last 20 (2002-2022 inc stand-ins )years? 21, what's that, a change every 11.5 months? The club is committing Hari Kiri by the slice.
Let's give the man a chance until the end of the season before we moan, then another season so he can put into practise his ideas.
Hell, I'd give him another 2-3 seasons just for the novelty of remembering who our manager is.

It is results that will determine his fate. That much is obvious. Nobody is going to give him 2/3 years or even next season if the current trajectory of results continues. Paul Hurst knows that every manager knows that.

What evidence have we got that sticking with the same manager for years would produce anything different? The law of averages maybe that eventually it would come good but equally a new manager could come in, get the players firing again and reach the play-offs.

We might turn it around under Hurst, let's hope we do, but the idea of sticking with a failing manager with all the advantages he has got in this league is a non-starter. Crowds will dwindle, interest will wane and then we will have a bigger rebuilding job later on.

I don't disagree we have had far too many managers, but this board have got a far better story to tell to prospective applicants if and when Hurst leaves.  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
HarrogateMariner
January 27, 2022, 11:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
As a fan of Grimsby town football club, like everyone else on here I want the best for the club and us to win every match. For as long as Paul Hurst is in charge, I will support him. The man obviously cares and is trying as hard as he can to turn this around. He is no Ian Holloway. He is no charlatan.

However my concern is the 'long term plan'. I 100% back the new owners. I think they have been fantastic for many many reasons. I love the idea of a long term plan and sustainability. However personally I do not believe Hurst is the correct man for this. I believe there is a massive over reliance on loans. Let's be honest, he doesn't use the youth set up and doesn't look to have any real interest in it. For example, why not give Goundry a chance instead of bringing Smith in on loan? Any long term plan surely has to involve the youth set up in some way. And I also don't see a set style of play. Yes I understand we need to change formation from time to time, but there is far too much attention payed to the opposition. We need one or two styles of play that becomes engraved in the club. A playing identity again. I just don't see Hurst doing this.

If in this bad run we had 3 or 4 youth team players regularly starting, showing lots of promise but making errors and costing points as they learn, a set style of play that fans understand and can see what we are trying to achieve ...I think fans would be more patient.

I do wonder, and I am normally dead against this sort of role, but in order to set up and oversee this long term plan do we need a director of football, or head of football, to help the manager out but also provide that bridge between the new board and football side. Doesn't mean they interfere with transfers but can help with the bigger picture.

As I said, I still want Hurst to succeed and I really hope he does. I won't be calling for his head. But that doesn't mean I don't have concerns. I do however only see this going one way now, how often do you see managers come under this level of pressure and survive much longer? Saturday is huge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
arryarryarry
January 28, 2022, 12:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GrimPol

Hurst must have signed getting on for 30 players in just over 12 months, 2 signed this season have already been got rid of. How many frigging players will he sign in 3 more seasons.

Plus I wouldn't have called 2 wins in 14 games a few bad results. For pity's sake he is bordering on being as crap as Neil Woods.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
forza ivano
January 28, 2022, 7:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
A

If in this bad run we had 3 or 4 youth team players regularly starting, showing lots of promise but making errors and costing points as they learn, a set style of play that fans understand and can see what we are trying to achieve ...I think fans would be more patient.

I do wonder, and I am normally dead against this sort of role, but in order to set up and oversee this long term plan do we need a director of football, or head of football, to help the manager out but also provide that bridge between the new board and football side. Doesn't mean they interfere with transfers but can help with the bigger picture.

good point harroagte in the first para
second para is something that i wondered ;when 1878 first came in they said a couple of times that they'd intended to go down a director of football route (presumably recommended by mark palmer, but having spoken to PH realised that they didn't need one
Should PH go, however, i wonder whether Palmer is, or might be, tasked in finding a new coach and new Director of Football?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
GollyGTFC
January 28, 2022, 7:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from forza ivano

good point harroagte in the first para
second para is something that i wondered ;when 1878 first came in they said a couple of times that they'd intended to go down a director of football route (presumably recommended by mark palmer, but having spoken to PH realised that they didn't need one
Should PH go, however, i wonder whether Palmer is, or might be, tasked in finding a new coach and new Director of Football?

They used Mark Palmer mainly out of convenience didn’t they? He was advising Rob Couhig when he looked around the club before he bought Wycombe Wanderers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 78
arryarryarry
January 28, 2022, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Lots of good stuff on this thread very balanced all I can add is some personal opinion.

In terms of strategy around long term building I can get behind that, yes it might be a long slog that will be bumpy but it just feels like the only route available.

I can be patient but need to see new investors joining JS & AP on the board when Fenty is paid off and some of the money they invest used on the team.

I’d like to see less loans next season, we’ll end up with some for sure but quality more than quantity. I still think we’ll need to manage expectations though in reality.

In terms of Paul Hurst my view is that he’s pretty safe and suspect he’ll be safe until his contract expires in around 6 months time, then the owners will make a decision either way. I reckon that is more their style than continuing the theme of Grimsby being a sacking club.

I thought he was on an 18 month rolling contract.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
psgmariner
January 28, 2022, 12:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
Oly1987
January 28, 2022, 1:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from GrimPol

Its even worse when you consider Hurst takes up what nearly 7 of those years? So its actually 20 in 13 years if you take him out the equation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
arryarryarry
January 28, 2022, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

I hope that's bullshit otherwise my thoughts on the current owners will be unprintable even on here.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I am still 100% behind Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.